Quantcast
paint chips, help! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: paint chips, help!

Default paint chips, help!

Hey guys, I have an 06 g35 coupe, and I guess the paint on it is extremely cheap shit, I've had it for 3 months, and it was flawless before i bought it (the last guy had it repainted, maybe with shitty paint) so theres a bunch of chips on the front bumper.

So do you think I should attempt to fill em myself? will I actualy be able to do a good job by myself? if so what technique do you suggest, and where should I get the tools and paint?

If I'll likely butcher it, whats a good place to get it repainted that won't charge too much, but won' t have such shitty paint.
    How much should I expect to pay for just the front bumper?

And how worried should I be about rust since its been raining alot and winters comin up pretty soon?
    thanks alot for your help

My Ride

It's easy to diy if you're comfortable with wet sanding
    1. Buy paint
    2. Fill chips
    3. Wet sand
    4. Polish
    6. 3M so you never have to do it again

I wouldn't bother - it's Calgary, your bumper & hood is going to get beat to hell from stones if it's a car you constantly drive, especially in the winter.

You can do the above method (fill/wetsand/polish), but doing that (assuming you know how to do it properly) will remove clearcoat. Chances are if you're concerned about rock dings now, you'll fix them up over and over and over....and soon be left with no clear.

Imho, just accept them. Also, infiniti in the last 'few' years has been using some shitty environmentally-friendly based paints that have next to no duration. Very easy to chip and damage.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
    I wouldn't bother - it's Calgary, your bumper & hood is going to get beat to hell from stones if it's a car you constantly drive, especially in the winter.

You can do the above method (fill/wetsand/polish), but doing that (assuming you know how to do it properly) will remove clearcoat. Chances are if you're concerned about rock dings now, you'll fix them up over and over and over....and soon be left with no clear.

Imho, just accept them. Also, infiniti in the last 'few' years has been using some shitty environmentally-friendly based paints that have next to no duration. Very easy to chip and damage.
    All Japanese manufacturers have been using water based paints that are not durable for North American roads and Calgary being the worst city in north america for road gravel on paved roads certainly doesn't help. The worst I've seen so far is the paint on the new Subarus that seem to rust as soon as they chip. The paint on my EVO is water based and very soft and I can tell already that it's not going to like our winter roads.

Originally posted by heavyD

All Japanese manufacturers have been using water based paints that are not durable for North American roads and Calgary being the worst city in north america for road gravel on paved roads certainly doesn't help. The worst I've seen so far is the paint on the new Subarus that seem to rust as soon as they chip. The paint on my EVO is water based and very soft and I can tell already that it's not going to like our winter roads.
    fascinating. I thought only infiniti/nissan were using water based. Didn't realize it was every japanese one.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

fascinating. I thought only infiniti/nissan were using water based. Didn't realize it was every japanese one.
    Subaru, Mitsubishi, and Toyota for sure are using them as well. Many Corolla customers are complaining about paint chipping. Small sample of 16 pages of customers complaining about Corolla paint and more if you google the internet;
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f19d878

I know the paint on my EVO is water based because it's still soft. Water based paints don't cure like solvent based paints. I miss the domestic paint on my SRT-4 . That stuff was nearly indestructible.

Subaru, Mitsubishi, and Toyota for sure are using them as well. Many Corolla customers are complaining about paint chipping. Small sample of 16 pages of customers complaining about Corolla paint and more if you google the internet;
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f19d878

I know the paint on my EVO is water based because it's still soft. Water based paints don't cure like solvent based paints. I miss the domestic paint on my SRT-4 . That stuff was nearly indestructible.
    I know what you mean. My g35 looks like somebody took a hole punch to the hood and bumper and went to town. My z06, however, has 1 or 2 knicks here and there, but otherwise looks perfect.

get dr. colorchip !

My Ride
    integra xsi

Default paint

Only the base coat is water based, but the clear coat is still solvent based. The reason why cars are being painted with water based paints it coz of the environment. Paint chips have nothing to do with how cheap the paint is on your vehicle. A flex agent mixed with the clear coat, will help reduce the chipping on ur vehicle.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Default Re: paint

Originally posted by integra_xsi
    Only the base coat is water based, but the clear coat is still solvent based. The reason why cars are being painted with water based paints it coz of the environment. Paint chips have nothing to do with how cheap the paint is on your vehicle. A flex agent mixed with the clear coat, will help reduce the chipping on ur vehicle.
    Apparently they have made strides in water based clear coats to the point where it's not cloudy any more as well some manufacturers have basecoat/clearcoat combined into one coat which is what I believe that Subaru, Toyota, and Mitsubishi are using. They can do the entire car in one coat which is friendly for the environment as well saves money and time. These coats are also extremely thin which IMO is part of the contributing factor. As you can see by pics of 08/09 WRX's below all of these cars are less than one year old in those pics. There's no way that paint is being applied thick enough to have that amount of damage to bare metal in less than a year;

My Ride
    06 Focus ZX5, 97 Skyline R33

Default Re: Re: paint

[/B]

My Ride
    golfR

Default Re: Re: paint

It looks almost like my Lancer except I dont have 3M on that area. At first I thought it was just dirt.

My Ride
    integra xsi

I should have specified, having your vehicle painted in a collision repair facility, the clear coats are still solvent based. paint companies are still in the process of developing water based clearcoats.

My Ride
    04 wrx stage 1

i can help you out with it if u want id done on the side, i work at a body shop and do work after hours

My Ride
    2004 Volvo XC90

Originally posted by mungo
    i can help you out with it if u want id done on the side, i work at a body shop and do work after hours
    I need some body work done on my car. Please, PM

My Ride
    08 Lancer GTS

My 08 Lancer looks exactly like the pictures Heavy D has posted. I am looking to get it repainted and not wanting to spend 5k+. Any suggestions or know anyone?

Originally posted by LancerGTSGirl
    My 08 Lancer looks exactly like the pictures Heavy D has posted. I am looking to get it repainted and not wanting to spend 5k+. Any suggestions or know anyone?
    Screaming Paintworks does excellent work.

Don't just go based on price (to a certain extent) - you might be able to get a cheap job, but then chances are high you can end up with all sorts of problems, such as thin clear, orange peel, solvent pop, dust nibs, etc... A lot of people can paint out there, but it's another issue to find somebody who can paint with quality.