Quantcast
Official Short-term Investments Thread - Page 21 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 21 of 1783 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Short-term Investments Thread

My Ride
    V6 Hybrids

Well the hot thing seems to be Dividend funds, the holdings are similar across the board with the major banks and energy sectors. And we've seen returns of 20+% over the last few years.

I bought into TD Dividend Growth and RBC Dividend recently.

I also hold AIM Trimark Income/Growth funds as well. Now these two funds haven't been performing too well in the last few years with returns similar to GIC's. BUT since inception they are still around 9%. Their holdings are much different, the lack of gains the past few years could be attributed to them not investing in the energy sector.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by max_boost
    I bought into TD Dividend Income/Growth and RBC Dividend recently.
    Why did you get both funds? They are almost identical funds except with the TD fund you pay a higher management fee.

I am personally holding the BMO Dividend fund and it has a slightly higher 10 year returns and an even lower MER (0.02% lower... heh).

My dad has the Standard Life Dividend-A fund and he is doing quite well as well.

http://globefunddb.theglobeandmail.c...ND&product_id=

My Ride
    L-Tuned

Originally posted by ExtremeSi
    so if stelco restructors and bounces back will that mean the current STE.A stock will become worthless and they will have a new stock? Is that how it works? Or will the current STE.A still hold some value?
    In this particular case, shareholders aren't going to get anything. The new company will be held 34% by Tricap, 34% by hedge funds, and a small amount (like 2-3%) held by the Ontario gov't. The remainder of the shares will be held by creditors. There will be a new ticker symbol for the new issue. All old stock under STE.A becomes toilet paper.

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

Originally posted by Altezza

In this particular case, shareholders aren't going to get anything. The new company will be held 34% by Tricap, 34% by hedge funds, and a small amount (like 2-3%) held by the Ontario gov't. The remainder of the shares will be held by creditors. There will be a new ticker symbol for the new issue. All old stock under STE.A becomes toilet paper.
    Well thats what scares me. Do you have any idea how long until this may happen? Should i sell immedietly? I think i will from everything i read cause its scaring me..

My Ride
    V6 Hybrids

Originally posted by sputnik

Why did you get both funds? They are almost identical funds except with the TD fund you pay a higher management fee.

I am personally holding the BMO Dividend fund and it has a slightly higher 10 year returns and an even lower MER (0.02% lower... heh).

My dad has the Standard Life Dividend-A fund and he is doing quite well as well.

http://globefunddb.theglobeandmail.c...mp;product_id=
    The TD account is my gf's, so I just naturally figured if she was to apply for any future loans and needed security, TD would recongnize it since it's their fund. Basically getting her started on things

Anyway, how is the MER calculated again??

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

MER= (fees + expenses) / average net assets

(x100 to get a percentage)

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    V6 Hybrids

^^^

Cool.

I meant how is the 2.**% taken? From when you sell? During the year? etc.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

^^
    From what i recall...the MER is just what the managers kept for themselves. ex: If the MER is 4.5% and your return was 9%. The actual return of the portfolio was 13.5%. someone else should be able to give you complete working details on this.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

low risk and high gain are not two terms that go together.

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

Originally posted by benyl
    low risk and high gain are not two terms that go together.
    Im fully aware of that and I value low risk over a high gain in a mutal fund I'm looking for.

The TD account is my gf's, so I just naturally figured if she was to apply for any future loans and needed security, TD would recongnize it since it's their fund. Basically getting her started on things

Better make sure that isnt in your RRSP portfolio. You technically cant use any RRSPs as collateral or security.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Better make sure that isnt in your RRSP portfolio. You technically cant use any RRSPs as collateral or security.
    Who told you that?

My Ride
    V6 Hybrids

Originally posted by Godfuader
    ^^
    From what i recall...the MER is just what the managers kept for themselves. ex: If the MER is 4.5% and your return was 9%. The actual return of the portfolio was 13.5%. someone else should be able to give you complete working details on this.
    You are right.
    Did a quick google search and it appears the numbers we see, price, % of returns, is with the MER deductions.

So only other expense is early termination fees but since these are long term investments, shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks.

Speaking of mutual finds, does anyone have some good recondations for a long term RRSP mutual fund? My mom wants me to put her money in one such fund that is low risk, moderate to high gain and long term is fine.
    Any advice would be helpful. I've done some reserach already I just want to hear what people have to say
    I have had a good experience so far with the BMO Dividend Fund. Bought some this past may/june and has gained just a bit under 20% over 7 months, I'm not complaining.

My Ride
    L-Tuned

Well thats what scares me. Do you have any idea how long until this may happen? Should i sell immedietly? I think i will from everything i read cause its scaring me..
    I hate to be the voice to bring you bad news...The writing is very clear and on the wall. The plan has been approved by creditors and the court. Current shareholders are going to be left with nothing once the restructing is complete. From that, I'm sure you can deduce what is best for you to do.

My Ride
    L-Tuned

You may run into attribution rules next year if the source of the money for this account came from you.

so if stelco restructors and bounces back will that mean the current STE.A stock will become worthless and they will have a new stock? Is that how it works? Or will the current STE.A still hold some value?
    Yes exactly. When a company goes bankrupt the stock is worthless and then they issue new stock.

Example: Air Canada. It is trading again but it is completely different from the shares that were issued before bankruptcy.

Originally posted by 90s_tuner
    GIC's are awesome they are guaranteed!
    Yes guaranteed to grow at the same pace as inflation.

Investing in a fund that holds alot of Energy is volatile and considered risky. Therefore either bigger gains or bigger losses.

Just go with a well diversified fund like one of he O funds from RBC.

My Ride
    V6 Hybrids

Originally posted by Altezza

You may run into attribution rules next year if the source of the money for this account came from you.
    No she works and it's her money. I am just doing all the trading for her

My Ride
    MB C63

PLE going down today already...anyone that wanted to buy in today would be your chance...

unfortunately i bought in higher just yesterday

another good stock is BLE i know its shot up a lot already but theres good things coming for it. Its a molybdenum producer

Page 21 of 1783 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast