Official Short-term Investments Thread - Page 1662 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1662 of 1778 FirstFirst ... 1652 1661 1662 1663 1672 ... LastLast
Results 33,221 to 33,240 of 35559

Thread: Official Short-term Investments Thread

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm trying to make money not percentages. At 370$/share, you need big price swings to make any percentage. I wasn't about to bank on a 10$ price recovery(hindsight 20/20)
    If you could elaborate that'd be great. I'm not sure if that quip was just meant as a jest but IMO it's still a misnomer. It wasn't about hindsight or the stock recovery but about your lack of available capital deemed high enough to buy into a stock.

You and I both know dollar amount gains are directly related to percentage because that's how math works.

370 to 380 and 3.7 to 3.8 are both 2.7% gains.

AFAIK the only time price and number of shares becomes relevant is when you're talking about collecting dividends per share.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    If you could elaborate that'd be great. I'm not sure if that quip was just meant as a jest but IMO it's still a misnomer. It wasn't about hindsight or the stock recovery but about your lack of available capital deemed high enough to buy into a stock.

You and I both know dollar amount gains are directly related to percentage because that's how math works.

370 to 380 and 3.7 to 3.8 are both 2.7% gains.

AFAIK the only time price and number of shares becomes relevant is when you're talking about collecting dividends per share.
    Percentages are the real misnomer, as evident by your comparison of 3.7 and 370. Working in percentages requires you to do unnecessary extra math. I get why people talk about percentages, it's for scalability(mostly bragging rights though). If you can routinely make 10% return, then you just need to compound that long enough to have a sizeable portfolio to make 10% on. But at the end of the day you have a dollar figure in your head you're after or need to make. If I want to make $200k/yr, then that means I need to make an average of about $800 per trading day. At no point does percentage play any role in those numbers.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah I don’t really get it either. I’d take a quick 2% gain all day. Only thing stock prices does is mean you buy less shares which means cheaper transactional costs, and better liquidity which is important with high frequency trading

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Percentages are the real misnomer, as evident by your comparison of 3.7 and 370. Working in percentages requires you to do unnecessary extra math. I get why people talk about percentages, it's for scalability(mostly bragging rights though). If you can routinely make 10% return, then you just need to compound that long enough to have a sizeable portfolio to make 10% on. But at the end of the day you have a dollar figure in your head you're after or need to make. If I want to make $200k/yr, then that means I need to make an average of about $800 per trading day. At no point does percentage play any role in those numbers.
    I can relate to that. Just to clarify I wasn't intending to offend. It's just that if you had $100k in capital, it wouldn't matter whether you bought it at $100/share or $1000/share.

But again, this isn't to bring up whether to look at percentages or dollar amounts; people can do whatever they want. We went through this same topic last month and it's a dead horse. I'm talking more about getting clarification on why you don't think your bankroll is large enough to buy into Boeing or maybe I was just reading into that small part a bit too much. Everyone's got different goals whether you're aiming for a certain dollar target or you just want a certain % return but that's not what I was asking.

Ironically when we were talking about % vs dollar amounts, the consensus was talking using dollar amounts was more of a dick swinging/bragging rights contest.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Drove a guy in uber back at the end of January. He started talking stocks and told me over and over again to buy shopify shares.

Looking at SHOP now, yah I guess I should have. Maybe I still should! Maybe pull out of GOOS and go all in on SHOP!!!
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

I can relate to that. Just to clarify I wasn't intending to offend. It's just that if you had $100k in capital, it wouldn't matter whether you bought it at $100/share or $1000/share.

But again, this isn't to bring up whether to look at percentages or dollar amounts; people can do whatever they want. We went through this same topic last month and it's a dead horse. I'm talking more about getting clarification on why you don't think your bankroll is large enough to buy into Boeing or maybe I was just reading into that small part a bit too much. Everyone's got different goals whether you're aiming for a certain dollar target or you just want a certain % return but that's not what I was asking.

Ironically when we were talking about % vs dollar amounts, the consensus was talking using dollar amounts was more of a dick swinging/bragging rights contest.
    By all means, we all should use whatever works for us. No offence intended by myself either.

When it came to Boeing, I just felt I'd have to leverage too much money to make it worth my while. I don't have 375 grand to drop on a thousand shares just hoping that it props back up by a dollar so I can flip it. That too much risk for reward. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 like I said, and I could've made my goal by leveraging an adequate percentage of my bankroll. But I don't have a crystal ball and it was too uncertain to dip in to. Oh well, can't catch them all.

Ironic for sure that the consensus was dollars are for dick swinging. I'll give you a great real life example of exactly why that is not true. I flipped ACB TWICE for 100% return!! Wow, big kick ass stock trader I am, sounds like I'm rich off those trades............................. Except I'm not, because I only had 5000$ sunk into it both times. Let's be honest here, if I had invested 1 million dollars into those trades, you think me or anyone else would have the nuts to wait around for 100% return? HELL NO! I'm not gambling with a million bucks, I'd have been out before 20% probably. This is why percentage is a misnomer, because it doesn't accurately reflect your actions at different dollar figures.

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    Drove a guy in uber back at the end of January. He started talking stocks and told me over and over again to buy shopify shares.

Looking at SHOP now, yah I guess I should have. Maybe I still should! Maybe pull out of GOOS and go all in on SHOP!!!
    IMO, Shopify looks like a half decent longer term hold with decent growth potential. But not having a dividend would keep me out of it. If you catch it on a down day, maybe you can make a few bucks with a quick flip.

My Ride
    *The First*

I was just thinking "I wonder if Wayfair is a listed company"... I wish I thought that about a month ago! Ha!

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Damn 2019 has been good so far. What do you guys think about picking up Delphi? Somebodies gotta pick them up for their assets?

My Ride
    a tank

spx

I have been expecting spx to finish wave 1 some where around 2800 and begin a multi week decline for wave 2. So far it has not translated to this drop despite most of the news are bad. If the market continues to grind higher and even challenge the ATH or close to, then the likelihood will be a big drop coming. Normally wave 1 do not stretch this far, so it has to turn around like 'now'. if it doesnt, then it makes alot more sense this rally is a large degree wave (B) with wave (C) in the works below Dec low that could bring us way back down to the 2000-2200 zone.

Others that I follow are beginning to buy puts. at these levels. Many are spotting this similar to 1998-2000, majority of the stocks are corrective (weak) so we have big stocks carrying the whole market upwards. for how long? who knows. Melt up? still a possibility. but at least level once should start thinking about parking some cash on the side for a sizable event.

_________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Levi Strauss IPO tomorrow. Anyone jumping on it?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Levi Strauss IPO tomorrow. Anyone jumping on it?
    I mentioned it several weeks back and totally forgot to call InvestorLine to secure a position. Hoping to get in at a low price tomorrow but will probably be kicking myself in the ass for forgetting about it.

My Ride
    Lariat

Any good stocks to bet on with the impending UCP win over ndp in less than a month? Will we see a bump in O+G stocks?
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    Any good stocks to bet on with the impending UCP win over ndp in less than a month? Will we see a bump in O+G stocks?

Already seeing the speculation increases today. Pembina broke 50$ today. Suncor is up. Oil is up.

My Ride
    a tank

SPX

Whether this is just a wave 2 correction or a much steeper wave (C) headed below the dec low 2018, this will no doubt drag weed stocks down with it. Downward pressure is mounting. The sell in May and go away investment strategy may ring true this year.
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:15 PM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by SilverRex View Post
    SPX

Whether this is just a wave 2 correction or a much steeper wave (C) headed below the dec low 2018, this will no doubt drag weed stocks down with it. Downward pressure is mounting. The sell in May and go away investment strategy may ring true this year.
    Would not be surprised if we end the week around 10% lower.

My Ride
    a tank

spx invalidated short term setup, gaining bullish momentum. new ATH still possible, still expecting for the shoe to drop. its amazing the financials arnt good and the market still moves higher. Someone is driving this up..
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

Did anyone get in on LEVI?
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

News reports were saying they valued their own stock at $17, higher than the expected 14-16. Now it's at like ~$23?
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 1662 of 1778 FirstFirst ... 1652 1661 1662 1663 1672 ... LastLast