Quantcast
Official Short-term Investments Thread - Page 1275 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1275 of 1778 FirstFirst ... 1265 1274 1275 1276 1285 ... LastLast
Results 25,481 to 25,500 of 35560

Thread: Official Short-term Investments Thread

Well we started the ball by kicking off with some nice earnings

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I like that KEL is finally moving... only holding 140 contracts... no big deal

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Originally posted by e36bmw///

So is Thailand booked?
    Oh fuk yah.
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Originally posted by roopi

Another classic 'Don't fall in love with a stock/company'.

If you've made a decent profit sell a portion of it and let the rest ride maybe.
    I did about 8 months ago.

I bought a ton of shares in 2012-2013 when the stock was below $3. Sold half my position when it was above $8. Watched the other half fall below $2 and then averaged my position down to $2. I could sell now and see a great profit but I just don't think CNE has the respect it deserves yet.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Bit of a tug-o-war this morning with CNE. Guess the market didn't know how to take the news. I think many O&G companies would kill to have a quarterly report like theirs in this market..

nm
    Last edited by e36bmw///; 03-05-2018 at 11:07 AM.

My Ride
    05 Civic

Anyone here use margin much? Looking into it ever since they opened up a margin account for me instead of the cash one I originally went in for, and the tax deduction on the interest gets me interested.

I am looking at around a 1 year timeline for the money, as I want to purchase a car with it in about a year or so (not set in stone, can delay that if market is down). Would parking the money in something like FTS or AQN on 50% margin be a good idea? Pretty good dividends on these guys, and hopefully a little growth along the way too.

Are there any specific strategies to investing with margin, or is it just higher risk investing with potentially higher rewards and higher losses?

My Ride
    G6

Borrowing money for high risk investments is a loser's game IMO. If you're gonna invest with borrowed money, it should be to safely grow a well balanced portfolio, not for a one-off win. The only way I've seen it work well long term is putting it into something safe that pays a good dividend. That way your growth + dividend easily covers your borrowing costs. A great example has been Canadian banks.

My Ride
    Car

Originally posted by -relk-
    Anyone here use margin much? Looking into it ever since they opened up a margin account for me instead of the cash one I originally went in for, and the tax deduction on the interest gets me interested.

I am looking at around a 1 year timeline for the money, as I want to purchase a car with it in about a year or so (not set in stone, can delay that if market is down). Would parking the money in something like FTS or AQN on 50% margin be a good idea? Pretty good dividends on these guys, and hopefully a little growth along the way too.

Are there any specific strategies to investing with margin, or is it just higher risk investing with potentially higher rewards and higher losses?
    I made a solid 60% in 4 months with margin, then lost a solid 90% in 1 month because of margin. It works, but be aware of your behavioral biases because it'll bite back twice as hard as it gives.
    Last edited by woodywoodford; 02-19-2015 at 12:19 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Well... looks like its one of those buying kind of days...

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

that was short lived... should of bought more before i left the house

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-12-2019 at 11:59 PM.

I would hold it, market usually over reacts to stuff like this. Sell If you have some other companies who will net you greater then the rebound of SNC though

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I just realized I am sitting on a mountain of SNC stock... and they have just been charged by the RCMP or something 2 days ago.

So I've already suffered a pretty heavy loss. Should I hold it, or should I sell it?

Opinions?
    Loss percentage right now? Are you in need of the cash? Person ally if you don't need the money and you can hold then collect the dividend and wait it out. This company will be around.

My Ride
    2012 F150, R6

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I just realized I am sitting on a mountain of SNC stock... and they have just been charged by the RCMP or something 2 days ago.

So I've already suffered a pretty heavy loss. Should I hold it, or should I sell it?

Opinions?
    Wasn't it you a couple months ago, that said one of your biggest, early-trading-days mistakes, was holding onto stocks that were down and hoping for them to go back up, vs taking a loss and investing in something else what would have made you more money/covered your loss faster?

Not trying to sway you either way. I tried searching for the post but couldn't find it.
    Last edited by GT.....O?; 02-21-2015 at 02:33 AM.
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you."

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-12-2019 at 11:59 PM.

Default Canacol

Originally posted by BavarianBeast

I did about 8 months ago.

I bought a ton of shares in 2012-2013 when the stock was below $3. Sold half my position when it was above $8. Watched the other half fall below $2 and then averaged my position down to $2. I could sell now and see a great profit but I just don't think CNE has the respect it deserves yet.

You have have been invested with Canacol for quite a while, any insight as to why there is so much pressure on this stock these days?

Hehe took a position not too long ago and the share price doesn't seem to match the positive outlook for this company...

My Ride
    Ford F-150

Check out TGZ...TGZ has money in the bank and is debt free. They produce over 220,000 ounces of gold and the market cap is only $200 M. Their peers mining in the same geography and producing the same numbers trade at a market cap of roughly 1 billion. TGZ is a no brainer with little downside. Takeover target big time, but that won't be good, as they have more potential of getting to $3 to $4 share price within 2 to 3 years on their own. Take over would get $1.50 minimum today.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by scotty_69
    Check out TGZ...TGZ has money in the bank and is debt free. They produce over 220,000 ounces of gold and the market cap is only $200 M. Their peers mining in the same geography and producing the same numbers trade at a market cap of roughly 1 billion. TGZ is a no brainer with little downside. Takeover target big time, but that won't be good, as they have more potential of getting to $3 to $4 share price within 2 to 3 years on their own. Take over would get $1.50 minimum today.
    EPS is $0.05/share vs $0.19/share last year. That's one concern. The non-current liabilities sky rocketing makes me think they just pushed out debt, but I didn't look. Revenue down, operating cash flow down, earnings down, all despite less capital expenditures. All these seem pretty concerning IMO. Take over today wouldn't be more than 15X earnings, which is $0.75. Looks like in 2014 they couldn't get their costs figured out, and the current price is a pretty fair reflection of what it's worth. Production numbers make no difference if you don't make money on it.

You guys might know this.

Are there any regulations/limitations on personal Canadian accounts for shorting the Dow?

I know its illegal or heavily frowned upon to do naked short selling, but its ok? for as long as its not leveraged.

Any derivative stock tickers out there that are say 1 to 2x Short Dow (do they even do that?)
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Page 1275 of 1778 FirstFirst ... 1265 1274 1275 1276 1285 ... LastLast