Quantcast
Official Short-term Investments Thread - Page 1223 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1223 of 1778 FirstFirst ... 1213 1222 1223 1224 1233 ... LastLast
Results 24,441 to 24,460 of 35560

Thread: Official Short-term Investments Thread

My Ride
    Car

Originally posted by riander5

They exploded due to simply a name change?? Wtf!
    I don't know, but I'm not convinced they'll hold the gains - sold this morning at 4.30 for a nice 25% in 10ish days

Originally posted by riander5

Whats his rep? I cant seem to find any posts by him other than that last one.
    Sorry. I've been a watcher of this board, but never really posted. Thought I'd share this good pick.

I've made some huge gains with PTK (bought under $1, and slowly added on down days, like yesterday).

Do your own due diligence, but this company is changing from research into production/ partnerships / licensing in the near term, and should jump.

-20% yesterday, 22% today..
    Lots of volume, getting attention.
    Have a strong stomach.

Anyways, some other stocks that have done well for me lately (warning: very risky):
    OTS.V
    RPC.V
    CUR
    RMTI

Other stocks that are more stable because they have no debt, good cashflow:
    SVC.V
    LOY.V
    OTC.V
    RKN.V

Originally posted by Superman403

Sorry. I've been a watcher of this board, but never really posted. Thought I'd share this good pick.

I've made some huge gains with PTK (bought under $1, and slowly added on down days, like yesterday).

Do your own due diligence, but this company is changing from research into production/ partnerships / licensing in the near term, and should jump.

Have a strong stomach.

Anyways, some other stocks that have done well for me lately (warning: very risky):
    OTS.V
    RPC.V
    CUR
    RMTI

SVC.V
    LOY.V
    OTC.V
    RKN.V
    I've been in OTS.V since $0.14.. Loving this ride, geophysist tipped me on it and I'm happy with my gains so far.. Loaded up another boat load of PTK this morning, saw a nice 28% gain on those shares alone.

I'll check your others out.

Some other risky ones I've been playing:

PTA.V --> My top pick for the year
    SLTD --> Another top pick for me, I think this will be a 10 bagger one day for sure.
    E.TO
    CDH.TO
    INA.V
    PNP.TO
    TBUFF
    Last edited by AudiPWR; 04-22-2014 at 03:52 PM.

News from nfk/dxe today:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/africa...120000330.html

One more month.. Almost there! Anyone stick around? Lol

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have to admit, I have a hard time investing in a lot of these speculative companies. It really troubles me when I try to look at P/E and it's "-" because the company has zero earnings. Or a negative 2000% profit margin.
    I'm sure some of those companies will do well eventually, but so many of them will fail.

I do like the looks of PTA.V though. they actually have some cash flow and production, they appear to be in a reasonable debt position. the reserves have been audited. That's a story i can understand.
    That being said, I'm an oil and gas guy, so that's always the kind of company I'm likely to understand.

Since this appears to be the place to post Brags, BDI has been a horse for me this year. Bought into that at $19.47 a little over a year ago, it's been paying me ~4% to wait, and it's returned 80% this year. This may be one of my "hold forever" stocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Car

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I have to admit, I have a hard time investing in a lot of these speculative companies. It really troubles me when I try to look at P/E and it's "-" because the company has zero earnings. Or a negative 2000% profit margin.
    I'm sure some of those companies will do well eventually, but so many of them will fail.

I do like the looks of PTA.V though. they actually have some cash flow and production, they appear to be in a reasonable debt position. the reserves have been audited. That's a story i can understand.
    That being said, I'm an oil and gas guy, so that's always the kind of company I'm likely to understand.

Since this appears to be the place to post Brags, BDI has been a horse for me this year. Bought into that at $19.47 a little over a year ago, it's been paying me ~4% to wait, and it's returned 80% this year. This may be one of my "hold forever" stocks.
    I agree, the two things that have stung me are (a) penny stocks and (b) sectors I don't know (ie. tech, pharma, even SPY). Modest brag here, but my O&G portfolio's up 40% YTD and on much lower risk companies than penny's (and less effort too). I'll stick with what I know

My short/mid-term thesis - AECO producers! They're gonna rake it in come this time next year. Think PPY, BXE, BIR...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

BXE is going to do very well in the next two years.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    your mom

Originally posted by sabad66
    News from nfk/dxe today:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/africa...120000330.html

One more month.. Almost there! Anyone stick around? Lol
    Yeah, still holding on. Kind of lost interest though. Also watching HN right now on TSXV. Might as well see what happens right?

Originally posted by Arash
    Im not an idiot...

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Originally posted by woodywoodford
    I'll stick with what I know
    This is also how Buffett did so well.
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    It's wind powered

Just a question, how much do most of you have in stock holdings? I'm still fairly new to all this (18), I did buy a few Air Canada shares a few weeks back when they dipped. And I'm looking to buy more shares each month. (I put in about 100-300 roughly). So just wondering, thanks.
    Happiness starts at 3000 rpm.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by khanan
    Just a question, how much do most of you have in stock holdings? I'm still fairly new to all this (18), I did buy a few Air Canada shares a few weeks back when they dipped. And I'm looking to buy more shares each month. (I put in about 100-300 roughly). So just wondering, thanks.
    If you're buying $300 worth of shares and paying $10 commission, right there you've lost 3%. Average stock will return ~6% to 8%/year; WAY too expensive. When you go to sell, IB takes another 3% and has eaten all your profit. IMO you shouldn't invest in individual stocks until your account is at least $50K. Wait until you have ~$4K+ cash (in HISA?) and buy an ETF all at once instead. The $10 at $4K is only 0.25 cost%. You don't make money by paying everybody else.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Agreed At 18 years old, you likely shouldn't be investing in individual stocks.

Put your money in Tangerine (fomerly ING) and save for your house/car/travel etc.

My Ride
    Car

Put your money in Tangerine (fomerly ING) and save for your house/car/travel etc.
    I respectfully but completely disagree on this part... at 18 (or anything under 25, really) you've got 40+ years of employment ahead of you. That's a huge low-risk asset (human capital) that begs to be offset by high equity exposure. Basic asset management/behavioral finance right there. From a pure finance standpoint, the only thing a kid that age should keep in savings are an emergency fund, his school budget if needed, and the downpayment once he's started the house hunt.

I'd recommend never transacting on less than $1000 (to avoid getting eaten up on commissions), and start with safer equities like market ETF's while you build up an asset base.

Edit: this slipped my mind, but there's ways to buy ETF's for free. Questrade for example offers free ETF purchases, but you pay regular commission to sell. In that case you could do the smaller monthly contributions no problem.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Thanks for responding, and posting other picks. Wasnt questioning your first pick you shared (obviously a good one) was just curious what else you had shared or how you had a rep where other members dropped thousands on a stock with no additional info.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by Superman403

Have a strong stomach.

OTS.V
    RPC.V
    CUR
    RMTI

SVC.V
    LOY.V
    OTC.V
    RKN.V

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by woodywoodford

I respectfully but completely disagree on this part...
    I know what you are saying, but you also have to look at the persons tolerance to losses. I know for me, when I was 18, if I lost $1000 on an investment, I would have slit my wrists. I wasn't saving for retirement, every dollar I saved had a short time horizon, and "normal market fluctuations" could have meant I wasn't able to buy my first home, pay for my wedding, buy a car, whatever.

If your time horizon is longer, then I agree, at a young age you can tolerate much more risk. just depends what you are saving for.

I'm also a big proponent of keeping your finances simple. At that age, you have enough uncertainty about your life situation, that I don't think you need mroe uncertainty with your money.

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

I'm also a big proponent of keeping your finances simple. At that age, you have enough uncertainty about your life situation, that I don't think you need mroe uncertainty with your money.
    I think the general philosophy is that you got time to fix it if you are that young.

I think a typical middle age portfolio is 80/20 conservative/spec... If a lot younger, maybe that could be reversed.

The way I look at it is how long would it take me to earn X investment back from my job. If it's like a month, then I am more likely to put it into a big spec play. Everyone has their tolerances though, like you said.
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    EvoX, R6

Originally posted by Rarasaurus
    Seems as previously posted IBG is on the rise. I cant find news of why though....
    From $0.88 to $2.30 since this stock was posted with much more room to grow!

My Ride
    It's wind powered

Thanks everyone, i wil look into etfs. And yes they are free from the platform that i use to trade. Thanks again for the advice.
    Happiness starts at 3000 rpm.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Agreed At 18 years old, you likely shouldn't be investing in individual stocks.
    I'm happy I started trading young. Sure I made some mistakes and lost some money but I learned from those mistakes and make more now. You can't just jump into trading at an old age and expect to make good decisions.

Small losses when you're young and inexperienced can save you from big losses later on.

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Originally posted by davidI

I'm happy I started trading young. Sure I made some mistakes and lost some money but I learned from those mistakes and make more now. You can't just jump into trading at an old age and expect to make good decisions.

Small losses when you're young and inexperienced can save you from big losses later on.
    This!! I have learnt so much over the short time I have been trading. Sure I have lost a couple grand, but its only a couple grand. Not the end of the world and I can easily make that back in my lifetime. Some of you guys lose that in seconds.
    Signature..... I ate it!!

Page 1223 of 1778 FirstFirst ... 1213 1222 1223 1224 1233 ... LastLast