Quantcast
$54 Alberta unilingual traffic ticket = $90,000 legal fees - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: $54 Alberta unilingual traffic ticket = $90,000 legal fees

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

Originally posted by worm
    I speak both languages, I don't think this is about being a redneck or a true hate of the french. I will how ever tell you I believe this is more about having french shoved down our throats. Most english speaking Canadians truely have little to no problem with the french wanting to have a distinct society. How ever some of the demands that go along with thier request is where people start to get pissed. I for one bleive that if Quebec wants to keep their language, good for them but if they want the rest of the country to go biligual, well maybe they should too. What grounds do they really have to stand on when they want everywhere in a country that is primarily english to cater to thier language, yet won't even ponder the idea of returning the favor. If they want their province to be only french good for them but don't have a problem with me or anyone else wanting to keep our province english.

This boils down to Canada is to scared to cause and media shit storm by telling the french or any other minority that if you want things the way you want them a screw everyone else, stay in your province or go back to your Country.

Now that said I have no problem with immogrants or people form Quebec but don't tell me or anyone that I have to speak your language to serve you, or that my son can't sing Oh Canada in school because you don't want it.

If anyone wants an interesting read find the book "enough is enough" I think Alan Freeman wrote it.

end rant.
    Someone gets it!

This is hypocrisy at its finest! "You're all ignorant rednecks, blah blah blah", shaddap - half of the people in this thread probably aren't even white or native Calgarians anyway. I'm a beige Winnipegger FFS, and I disagree with this as much as anyone, and there is actually an entire part of the city that is bilingual with a big emphasis on French.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Default Man awarded $120,000 court costs, fighting an Alberta traffic ticket. WTF

This shit blows my fucking mind. What a douche.

OTTAWA – Canada's top court has dismissed an appeal by the Alberta government, an attempt by the province to claw back legal costs incurred by a francophone Alberta man over a unilingual traffic ticket challenge.

The Supreme Court ruled Friday that Gilles Caron could keep the $120,000 interim cost order awarded to him to help to fund his constitutional court fight over an English-only traffic ticket.

The case – separate from Caron's language fight – concerned whether a higher court had the jurisdiction to order an interim cost order in a lower court matter.

The ruling upheld a decision by an Alberta appeals court that superior courts do indeed have that jurisdiction over lower courts, as long as three criteria are met, namely:

-that those seeking interim costs genuinely cannot afford to pay for litigation;

-that the claim is of sufficient merit;

-that the issues raised transcend the individual interests of a particular litigant.

Justice Ian Binnie argued Caron's financial resources had been exhausted in the long legal battle and he could not afford to continue paying for the last leg of the language trial.

The judge further argued the case could have an important impact on Alberta's legislation and if Caron was unable to continue his legal battle, efforts that had been made to resolve language issues in the province would have been wasted.

The court also ruled Alberta would have to cover Caron's legal costs incurred for the Supreme Court fight.

In 2003, Caron made an illegal left turn and was issued a traffic ticket of less than $100. He challenged the ticket because it was not written in French and won, with the provincial court ruling arguing his constitutional rights had been breached.

The Alberta government appealed and the ticket challenge is still before the courts. This latest ruling by Canada's top court essentially allows Caron to continue his constitutional legal battle.

Provinces currently have the power to determine their own language laws and Alberta scrapped its own language rights legislation in 2000.

The issue over language rights and traffic tickets isn't unique to Alberta. The RCMP has had to defend handing out French-only tickets in Quebec because of that province's language laws.

Source: http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/cana.../17153901.html

So, sorry to ignore the issues at hand, but if Quebec can hand out French-only tickets because of their provincial language laws, why can't Alberta hand out English-only tickets?

Or am I misinterpreting that last bit?

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Come on, just separate already, then we won't have to listen to Harper embarrass himself in front of the world by having to say everything twice.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Originally posted by CUG
    Come on, just separate already, then we won't have to listen to Harper embarrass himself in front of the world by having to say everything twice.
    Even if they tried to, the first nations wouldn't let them, but thats for another thread.
    Last edited by kvg; 02-04-2011 at 09:53 PM.

My Ride
    1990 4runner

I think the big problem is having the judicial system make an issue out of nothing. Could have just rejected the ticket, told the guy screw you, pay the damn ticket...It's in one of the official languages of Canada.

Pretty sure $100.00 looks the same in french lol (except it's written 100.00$)

My Ride
    -10 F150 Lariat, -10 Fusion SEL awd

and he obviously was able to make out the english court date and made it to the trial, so there is no issue at all, just someone wasting taxpayers money
    C.J.

1997 TSi AWD 2.3L 6 bolt (Carillo Rods, Wiseco pistons, Cometic headgasket, ACL bearings, removed BS, FP3's, Crower springs/retainers, ARP hardware), FIC 950's, Aeromotive AFPR with SS lines, Walbro 255HP, PTE SCM61, Tial wastegate, Greddy Type S BOV, short route FMIC, 3" turbo back, AEM EMS, 3 bar map conversion, BJs SMIM, 75mm TB, Innovate LC-1 Wideband, 18" Focals, Bridgestone Potenza RE040's, Tokiko suspension.

thats a lot of work for getting out of $100 ticket ...

you know what I find hilarious, you see threads on here weekly about some kid getting a ticket with a slight mistake on it like something spelled wrong or the wrong time of day etc or even a ticket without a mistake where they were blatantly in the wrong but don't want to man up and pay for their stupidity and people on here rally behind them and cheer them on to fight it and waste taxpayers money and generally try to make a mockery of our legal system just to prove a point.

Then something like this happens in which the person is trying to do the exact same thing and everyone thinks its wrong. The hypocrisy sometimes is astounding.
    Last edited by J-hop; 02-05-2011 at 02:31 AM.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Except this isn't wrong, and he got 120,000 for it

My Ride
    rally pig

^

so does this mean that if I do an illegal turn somewhere in quebec, I'll get $120,000?

I'll book a plane ticket to Quebec city immediately then

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 09:06 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Originally posted by theken
    Except this isn't wrong, and he got 120,000 for it
    exactly my point, this is exactly the type of action that is promoted weekly by many people on beyond ie: finding some stupid reason (or in the case where a ticket has no mistake on it- no reason at all) to waste tax payers money to fight a ticket you deserve because you don't want to pay "big brother" or have demerits on your license. Only difference is this is just on a larger scale and this guy took it to a whole new level and pwned everyone on here who has fought a ticket they deserved. Looks like many of you are going to have to up the ante a bit.

Guaranteed if a beyonder were to get a ticket written in french in Quebec and post it on here people would have a field day figuring out ways for him to fight it. But because a lot of people here can't relate to a french speaking person getting a ticket in english people think its wrong, when the reality is as an observer I see this shit happen all the time on beyond (on a smaller scale of course).
    Last edited by J-hop; 02-05-2011 at 02:16 PM.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by J-hop

exactly my point, this is exactly the type of action that is promoted weekly by many people on beyond ie: finding some stupid reason (or in the case where a ticket has no mistake on it- no reason at all) to waste tax payers money to fight a ticket you deserve because you don't want to pay "big brother" or have demerits on your license. Only difference is this is just on a larger scale and this guy took it to a whole new level and pwned everyone on here who has fought a ticket they deserved. Looks like many of you are going to have to ante up a bit.
    I agree with you, but there's a major difference between spending 15 minutes in a court room and negotiating with prosecution, and this. It's even more aggravating that Quebec is allowed to behave the way they do. Again, they need to separate entirely.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

you can't blame the guy. all the blame is on the courts. All they had to do was throw out the $100 ticket instead of letting it escalate into $120 000

My Ride
    Model S

Yeah, this guy isn't wasting anything. He got his $100 ticket thrown out with the normal process, and all the power to him for that.

The Alberta government just couldn't leave it alone, so they appealed and they keep dragging it out. THEY are wasting taxpayer money.

I'm 100% with the guy on this one.

Originally posted by googe
    Yeah, this guy isn't wasting anything. He got his $100 ticket thrown out with the normal process, and all the power to him for that.

The Alberta government just couldn't leave it alone, so they appealed and they keep dragging it out. THEY are wasting taxpayer money.

I'm 100% with the guy on this one.

there we go, that was the response I was expecting, I respect the fact that some people will stick with their guns (whether I agree with them or not) and not try to claim someone is wrong for acting on the same principles they themselves live by.

My Ride
    4 doors, 4 cylinders

Just waiting for Toma to come in and start throwing around confetti.
    Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Bump.

Wow, I had no idea this fight was still going on. How do you say "Go fuck yourself" in French? Answer is it doesn't matter haha

http://www.metronews.ca/news/canada/...nal-court.html

Alberta not required to enact laws in French, Supreme Court rules
    Lawyer says he finds it unacceptable that Canada chose not to protect the francophone minority outside Quebec.

By: Kristy Kirkup The Canadian Press Published on

OTTAWA — The Supreme Court of Canada says Alberta is not constitutionally required to enact its laws in both English and French.

In a 6-3 split decision, the court ruled that the arguments in favour of bilingual legislation brought forward by two appellants were inconsistent with the historical documents they relied on.

The ruling ends a legal fight that has spanned more than a decade, beginning when Alberta's Gilles Caron received a traffic ticket in 2003.

Caron ended up merging his legal challenge with that of another driver, Pierre Boutet, who was also charged with a traffic offence.

The men argued legislative bilingualism extended to modern Alberta based on an assurance given by Parliament in 1867 and in the 1870 order which led to the creation of the province.

They won their case in provincial court, but that ruling was overturned on appeal.

The majority of the Supreme Court found Caron and Boutet's position would require the court to believe the status of legislative bilingualism in Alberta was fundamentally misunderstood by "virtually everyone" involved in the Commons debate when the province was created.

"The legislative history post-1870 cannot support an inference regarding the 1870 order that is helpful to the appellants," the court said. "Furthermore, the provincial judge's legal conclusion based on these arguments is in error.

"There is simply no evidence that this joint administration was part of the implementation of a constitutional guarantee. The evidence is, in fact, entirely to the contrary."

Roger Lepage, a Saskatchewan lawyer who has handled Caron's case from the start, said he was disappointed with the outcome.

He took some solace in the fact that three justices agreed with the arguments.

"We were able to convince three of the nine judges that there was a solemn promise that had been made and it was a constitutional guarantee," Lepage said. "Having said that, the majority rules. It is disappointing for us in Western Canada."

Lepage said he finds it unacceptable that Canada protected the anglophone minority in Quebec but chose not to protect the francophone minority outside Quebec.

He urged the new Liberal government to act.

"The Trudeau government now should fund the Saskatchewan and Alberta governments to make sure that all the laws are now translated."

Graham Fraser, the federal commissioner of official languages, said the decision wasn't the one he hoped for.

"It is the end of a legal saga that gave Canadians an opportunity to know how deep French roots are in Western Canada," he said in a statement. "However, provincial governments could make their own decisions to move toward equality for the two language groups."

He suggested Ottawa could work with both Alberta and Saskatchewan to improve the bilingual capacity of the justice system.

In a 1988 decision, the Supreme Court of Canada found the power to legislate language belongs to both the federal and provincial levels of government, under their respective legislative authority.

The same year, Alberta passed its Languages Act which says "all acts and regulations may be enacted, printed and published in English only."

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

#prayforgilles
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast