Quantcast
I want to lock my diff???? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: I want to lock my diff????

My Ride
    suzuki gsx-r 600

Default I want to lock my diff????

I want to lock up one of my open diffs for drift nights but dont know the best way????? is there any better way to do this besides welding it?

or if anyone has a good lsd they want to sell for not and arm and a leg let me know.

Thanks

Ben

My Ride
    hippity hop custom

be a hardcore red neck, weld ur diff...no, yea go the lsd method, then you will still be able to drive the car on the street safely

what does welding a diff have to do with safety?
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

if the welds break, it could very potentially jam up the gears and lock the back tires. it's as if you're doing 110 and you suddenly yank the ebrake as hard as you can.

My Ride
    can go anywhere

if the welds break how is going to affect the gears? the gears are already welded lol. The only way your gunna lock up your rear tires is if you seize your ring & pinion.

welding your diff has nothing to do with being a redneck its free. And last time i checked rednecks don't drive cars that can drift unless there gunna drift a truck.

I just welded my diff and im loving it. The only way its unsafe is if you drive like an ass and you spin your car out in the middle of the street.

My Ride
    hippity hop custom

Originally posted by Numi

welding your diff has nothing to do with being a redneck its free. And last time i checked rednecks don't drive cars that can drift unless there gunna drift a truck.
    haha it was a joke... i consider myself a redneck an i drive an acura , not a truck, the redneck reference was for all the old school guys that used to weld the diffs in there domestics..u can drift a camero, mustang,elcamino, gto, doesnt have to be a truck, i was speaking from personal experience, i welded a diff in an old camero and it was the sketchiest thing i ever drove on the street, worked great at the strip, agree with the driving ur car like an ass bit, but its alot easier to spin it or jam the gas around a turn an head striaght for some parked cars.. instead of redneck i shouldve used the word "hardcore"... not sure but can you use a after market locker system on his car??also if the weld breaks and the weld finds it way to the r&p it could lock it up, that is what happened to me,only locked up for about 2 seconds until the teeth snapped...
    Last edited by luv2h8; 08-29-2009 at 08:14 AM.

My Ride
    Hatchi-roku, jza70

He's got an AE86 and i know lots of guys with that car with welded diff... I'm going to do mine soon too. A friend has been rallying his welded for 5+ years... and last year he one his class. A 4age just doesn't put out the power in most setups to break it... just get some wheel hop.

Yes they make a locker (helical) for it, but it only locks under acceleration, which isn't ideal for drifting, racing or rally... just for 4X4 and drag fags. You need a clutch type 1.5 or 2 way, which is much more expensive. I say weld that bitch and get your sidewayz on.

Bry

My Ride
    '04 Solara, and planks of hardrock maple.

I had a welded diff in the first rear axle I had for my jeep, and it chirped like crazy when turning in the city. Other than obscene tire wear, is their any other negetives with welding the diff? Such as wear and tear on the drive line, etc.?

Originally posted by Cooked Rice
    if the welds break, it could very potentially jam up the gears and lock the back tires. it's as if you're doing 110 and you suddenly yank the ebrake as hard as you can.
    Welds will never break as long as it's done properly, it's a good way to bulletproof a diff.

Originally posted by Pollywog
    I had a welded diff in the first rear axle I had for my jeep, and it chirped like crazy when turning in the city. Other than obscene tire wear, is their any other negetives with welding the diff? Such as wear and tear on the drive line, etc.?
    The stickier your tires are, the less chirping/tire wear you will get. Other than that, the only downside is you wear out CV joints more quickly than normal.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    can go anywhere

I've also heard running sticky tires or fatter tires can cause your axles to shear off especially if you get wheel hop.