Quantcast
Good Kitchen Knives - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Kitchen Knives

Default Good Kitchen Knives

For the same reason I started the cheap vacuum thread (moving out on my own), I will need a decent set of knives. I don't want cheap knives, but I'm also looking for good value.

Are there any chef's here that can offer any suggestions?

I really only need 3 knives (bread knife, general chopping/carving & a small knive) but I'm not opposed to buying a block set if the price is decent.

Since I only use a few knives 99% of the time, I was thinking about buying seperately or in a small set from one of the better manufactuers. I know that it is ideal to have a well balanced knife, metal all the way through the handle, etc. but I know nothing beyond only a few brand names.

At home now we have Wusthof Classic's and they are really nice but it seems we need to sharpen them too often.

Browsing some other forums, I found these recommended places to buy, but I haven't heard of most of the manufactuers:

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/ (apparently this place is cheap for what they offer, but I haven't heard of a single brand name they carry)

http://www.paulsfinest.com/ (based out of Quebec, carries the Wusthof & Henkel's everyone's heard of but also a lot of stuff I haven't)

Do any particular model lines really stand out? Or are they all going to be very good? I liked Global knives a lot but I think they are stainless steel, which I hear is bad for keeping an edge.

I should add my budget is roughly $100-$300 for at least a bread knife, general chopping knive and a small knife, considering I don't plan on replacing a good set of knives anytime soon.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-02-2009 at 04:15 PM.

All we use in our home is Zwilling J.A. Henckels. Have been using them for years and they have proven themselves to be a quality product. Pricey but will last for years.

Zwilling

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

The absolute best knives are at Knifeware in Inglewood. I know chefs that have come here from Vancouver to buy knives there.

I was in there with a chef friend a few weeks ago and tried a $700 knife. It was insane.. it would be so easy to chop your hand off.

They also have stuff at a much lower price point than that, but you won't find anything cheap. Could squeeze in under $300 for the 3 you need.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Knives are pretty personal, since balance, weight and handle shape all need to fit your body.
    the biggest thing most home users make is not keeping thier knives sharp.
    Buy a steel and make use of it.

I also agree that you need very few knives. For myself, I can get by with a 10" chefs knife, which is my go-to knife, plus a 6" chefs knife, and a cheap paring knife. For the price of a pretty mediocre block set, you can get one or two pretty nice knives that will be a joy to use.

For bread knives, I find the crappy "laser" ones do fine. I have a henkels bread knife, but it's no better imo.

My in-laws have a drawer full of crappy knives that the dad sharpens on his bench gridner every couple years. When I cook at thier house, I bring my own knives.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    my bike

I have been using a set of Henckels twin cuisine knives and so far I am very happy with them. I also have a ceramic knife made by Kyocera, I love it because it's ridiculously sharp but very light, almost too light compared to my other knives.

Almost every other weekend the Bay puts their Henckels knives and blocks on sale, anywhere from 20-30%. Strange things is the sale price is almost the same as the regular price at Home Outfitters. eBay is another decent place to look, there are a few American sellers who charge decent prices for shipping.

Don't forget to factor in a decent cutting board or two if you're going to be spending up to $300 in knives.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I can highly recommend the Lee Valley Epicurean cutting boards.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    my bike

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    +1 for Epicurean cutting boards

I've got a Cutco set that's pretty good the past two years.
    Might want to consider them too. They're supposely on par with the Henckels.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Originally posted by 98type_r

+1 for Epicurean cutting boards
    best place to buy them is at winners.

can't really go wrong with any of the high end knives. just try them out and buy the ones that you like best
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I'm using Five Star J.A Henkels that I bought in Culinary School back in 2000 and they're still going strong and still sharp enough to slice through paper, it was good priced and back then was the industry brand standard, although I remember seeing this brand of knives called Global and was but theres so many brand of knives now its hard to choose, back then all I saw in class was Henkels and Wusthof's

For me, the 3 essentials knives are chef knife, paring knife and carving/boning knife and don't forget the steel
    Last edited by dj_rice; 09-02-2009 at 06:41 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

Originally posted by Choice
    I've got a Cutco set that's pretty good the past two years.
    Might want to consider them too. They're supposely on par with the Henckels.

I like to cook and I always like how my knives perform.

I've grown to like my santuko knife

I tried the cutco one and OMG!!! I can shave the hairs off my forearm.

Lifetime guarantee, if it dulls, send it back and they will send you a new one.

I just started giving these out to some of my clients

I think they are expensive (cost me about $130 ea) but DAMN! it's only knife I use.

I have a drawer full of crap knives that need sharpening now.

Cutco ftw!!!
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I've been using a set of Calphalon Katana knives for the past 3 years and have been happy with them. They were $200 for the set at a Calphalon outlet in the U.S....but I have seen them on sale at Home Outfitters as well.

They use VG-10 steel which is supposed to be good for holding an edge.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Sounds like that Knifewear place is a good place to start (they have a good website too). I'll also keep my eye open for sales at Home Outfitters, The Bay, etc. Based on my reading it seems that you can't go wrong with any of the German brands but some of those Japanese knives are pretty special. I'll report back when I finally buy something, but I research things to death haha.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I have WÜSTHOF Classics myself. I ordered mine from this guy.

( Mark at 248-374-5600. )

3-in. Straight Paring Knife
    3.5-in. Paring Knife
    4.5-in. Utility Knife
    5-in. Serrated Utility Knife
    5-in. Boning Knife
    8-in. Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
    8-in. Bread Knife
    8-in. Carving Knife
    8-in. Cook's Knife
    9-in. Sharpening Steel
    Kitchen Shears
    17-slot Deluxe Hardwood Knife Block

for $475

http://www.wusthof.ca/en/classic.asp

There's a japanese knife store in Inglewood (by Spolumbo's). It's awesome and knife prices in all ranges.

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Sounds like that Knifewear place is a good place to start (they have a good website too). I'll also keep my eye open for sales at Home Outfitters, The Bay, etc. Based on my reading it seems that you can't go wrong with any of the German brands but some of those Japanese knives are pretty special. I'll report back when I finally buy something, but I research things to death haha.
    If you like I can bring one of my cutcos to you,.. no you can't have it,.. LOL, but try it anyways.
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    my bike

Whatever route you decide to go, look for something that is forged instead of stamped. Also look for a full tang, this is where the steel from the blade is visible all the way through the handle.

Oh for bread i actually like my miricle blade 3 bread knife.. hah.

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

Related question : just steel or should you also get a sharpening stone as well?

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I use Shun knives exclusively, they're typically about $150-200 / blade locally (Williams/sonoma), I haven't looked online much, but they are amazing knives.....Only thing, its harder to get them sharpened locally (20 degree edge, vs 16 degree for german blades).....
    Check em out, they're amazing

http://www.kershawknives.com/products.php?brand=shun
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast