Quantcast
Mount Royal University - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount Royal University

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Isn't the price roughly the same as all other universities and collages around Canada? (barring Quebec of course )
    NVM, Undergrad is about the same. Graduate is a different story.

My Ride
    an econo box

My sister did the MRC to UofC transfer program thing. Saved her about $10,000 vs going to the UofC the whole time. It wasn't because she had shitty grades in high school or anything.

Let's hope MRU remains the more affordable choice. Because honestly some people can't afford UofC tuition, especially out of the house adults like myself who have mortgages to pay etc.

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by KrisYYC
    My sister did the MRC to UofC transfer program thing. Saved her about $10,000 vs going to the UofC the whole time. It wasn't because she had shitty grades in high school or anything.

Let's hope MRU remains the more affordable choice. Because honestly some people can't afford UofC tuition, especially out of the house adults like myself who have mortgages to pay etc.
    Have UofC costs increased that much since I graduated??

My last year there, a full 10 course load was ~$4000 / year. Transfer programs are after 2-3 years, so you're talking about spending 8000-12000 at The UofC in that period.

This is good. It's still a 'college' too me, the atmosphere is very high school ish but scew it, i'll take it, it's going as MRU on my resume thats for sure.

My Ride
    an econo box

Originally posted by hampstor

Have UofC costs increased that much since I graduated??

My last year there, a full 10 course load was ~$4000 / year. Transfer programs are after 2-3 years, so you're talking about spending 8000-12000 at The UofC in that period.
    According to my sister, the same program she took at MRC for $4000/year was around $9000/year at UofC. This was back in the 90's.

My Ride
    Skateboard

I bet you didn't pass the TOEFL exam.

Originally posted by hattonlynch
    This is good. It's still a 'college' too me, the atmosphere is very high school ish but scew it, i'll take it, it's going as MRU on my resume thats for sure.

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

on the news they had a comparison, im not sure exactly what it was, but they said mount royals fees were 5000, compared to uofc's which were 5800. so its not that big of difference.

and for the smaller class size arguement. would you rather be in a class that had 70+ students and rarely be able to get help from your teacher if needed? and have basically no interaction with your teacher, or would you wanna be in a class with 30 students where your teacher knows everyone by name and you can get help when you need it.

i didnt mean to say that smaller classes is better perhaps. but i believe it is more beneficial to have smaller classes. i would choose smaller classes over bigger classes, and i dont know why anyone wouldnt.

I didn't give one shit what class sizes were back in uni... granted, I didn't go to all my classes, but still.

If you didn't understand something, find out when the prof has open office hours and go bug him. Or ask your TAs. Or ask your friends.

I'd still say: Prestigious university with big class sizes > Not-as-prestigious university with small class sizes.

The point is, MRC/U will as it stands (sadly or not) will not carry the same clout as the u of c (lol) a degree from McGill lends more credentials then one from the u of c and equally so U of C > MRC for the same degree programs. Will this change in time? Of course as MRU matures in a decade or so they will have changed their image and I expect them to be just as involved in upper level academia (grad/phd) as the u of c. And realistically, the only thing that seperates universities other then long standing alumni is the research and productivity of its students and alumni. The u of c IS getting better. People should see this as a plus, both campus are going to benefit from this. The "competition" will mean that both campuses are going to strive for that now split educational pie. Hopefully our undergraduate programs will be reassesed and improved as a result.

What a lot of posters in here are neglecting is, mru will NOT be direct competition per se, because they DO NOT offer the same equivalence programs outside of nursing, and some BA programs.

MRc has a BSc in Science... where as the u of c has a BSc in multiple disciplines.
    MRC will only have 4 BSc Distinction's and no grad/PhD studies... but they ARE a university in terms of the programs offered are off "university" standard, what ever that means.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

colleges teach practical shit so that you are ready to jump into work..ie sait

universities teach theory to prepare you for work...

hence you know the fundementals which you are applying; a FACT that no matter how much you argue, YOU ARE NOT TOUGHT AT MRC OR SAIT.
    Last edited by jazzyb; 09-04-2009 at 02:49 PM.
    Originally posted by theken
    Off duty cop means not a cop. At that time he is a normal person.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Yes. Just like a ninja in street clothes isn't a ninja.

Originally posted by leftwing
    on the news they had a comparison, im not sure exactly what it was, but they said mount royals fees were 5000, compared to uofc's which were 5800. so its not that big of difference.
    According to the the Calagry Herald, Mount Royal's tuition fees were already $5642 last fall 2008, making them the most expensive post secondary school in the province during that time period.
    http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...0-23bc87673399

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by Super_Geo

I'd still say: Prestigious university with big class sizes > Not-as-prestigious university with small class sizes.
    I sure hope you weren't referring to the UofC when you said "prestigious."

It's funny how people in the west think of McGill and Waterloo as the high end schools. Then my friends studying at McMaster/Waterloo/Queens think we've got it good in Calgary, Alberta and British Columbia, and that their schools aren't that 'good'.

That was during Undergrad of course, when people don't know better :P...

In Canada we're one of the few countries with WELL regulated post-secondary. You find similar crap everywhere in Canada. A bit of anecdotal analysis: one of the worst profs I've ever had was a U of T prof, the worst administration blunders I had were at UBC, and U of C had some medicre profs, and the really depressing ENGG building (Dungeons FTL), but all in all, I would be that overall, if you were to take a degree at each you would find good points and bad points for all.

Keep in mind this is for academic-type issues. I'm sure people could form perfectly fine preferences based off things like if you just prefer a certain city, where you have most of your friends, if the transit service (or accessibility by car) sucks, where you want to live after graduation, etc...
    Last edited by Pahnda; 09-04-2009 at 03:17 PM.

Originally posted by jazzyb

universities teach theory to prepare you for work...

hence you know the fundementals which you are applying; a FACT that no matter how much you argue, YOU ARE NOT TOUGHT AT MRC OR SAIT.
    So you went to MRC I take it? They didn't TOUGHT alot dere did de?

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    Well he does have a point since it goes like this UofC>MRC>SAIT>Devry.

My Ride
    2000 Civic SE

I was one of the people that decided to go to MRC over UofC out of high school. I wanted to go into accounting and had the grades to get into uofc but decided to take to applied degree at mrc instead.
    Simply because the applied degree was a year shorter with a year work term instead. So to me it was a way better deal. Also, I was looking to get my CA, so where i got my degree didn't really matter. It was getting my CA that mattered.

I don't see what it matters anyway. People may think that a degree from u of c is better, but if you going to get further education else where, then they doesn't matter. Employers look at your personality and sometimes grades. And if it's easier to get better grades at MR then why not.

It's not like employers care about what high school you went to once you have your degree. The kids that went to a private high school now have no advantage over us public kids. Just like once you get your graduate, no one will care about you university degree. It's just a stepping stone.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

yeah they are a university in name, still not AUCC certified...i was looking into whether or not an MRU degree grants you the ability to head to post-graduate studies of any sort and it seems to be a gray area at the moment. MRU says they are aiming for AUCC cert in 2011

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    I didn't even apply to UofC

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by Super_Geo

I didn't even apply to UofC
    did you apply to mru?

My Ride
    Silverado

one bad thing about small class sizes is the "slow kid" always stopping the lecture to ask redundant questions.. if you cant keep up write the shit down and ask a question later. i hope the u of c is dope sauce cause i just transfered there. mech eng ftw
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 09-05-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast