Quantcast
Ex-soldier gets life sentences for Iraqi murders - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ex-soldier gets life sentences for Iraqi murders

Default Ex-soldier gets life sentences for Iraqi murders

Green convicted in rape and murder of teen and slaying of three relatives

PADUCAH, Ky. - A former U.S. soldier received five consecutive life sentences Friday for his role in the rape and murder of an Iraqi teenager and the slaying of three of her family members.

"What the defendant did was horrifying and inexcusable," U.S. District Judge Thomas Russell said in sentencing Steven Dale Green, 24. "The court believes any lesser sentence would be insufficient."

A civilian jury convicted Green in May of raping Abeer Qassim al-Janabi, conspiracy and multiple counts of murder.

Green shot and killed the teen's mother, father and sister, then became the third soldier to rape her before shooting her in the face. Her body was set on fire March 12, 2006, at their rural home outside Mahmoudiya, Iraq, about 20 miles (32 kilometers) south of Baghdad.

Green was the first person charged under the Military Extraterritorial Jurisdiction Act, a law passed in 2000 that allows U.S. authorities to prosecute former military personnel, contractors and others for crimes committed overseas.

Unanimous decision couldn't be reached
    The panel couldn't reach an unanimous decision about whether Green should get a death sentence, automatically making Green's sentence life in prison. Barring a successful appeal or presidential pardon, Green will not be eligible for release from prison.

Green told the judge he merely followed orders from other soldiers involved in the attack.

"You can act like I'm a sociopath. You can act like I'm a sex offender or whatever," Green said. "If I had not joined the Army, if I had not gone to Iraq, I would not have got caught up in anything."

At a hearing in May, Green repeatedly apologized to the al-Janabi family, saying he knew little about Iraqis and realizes now his actions then were wrong. Green described the attacks as "evil" and said when he dies "there will be justice and whatever I deserve, I'll get."

During Green's trial, defense attorneys never contested Green's role in the attacks. Instead, they focused on saving his life by putting on witnesses that testified that the military failed Green on multiple fronts — by allowing a troubled teen into the service, not recognizing and helping a soldier struggling emotionally and providing inadequate leadership.

During the sentencing hearing, defense attorney Patrick Bouldin said Green tried to take responsibility for his role in the attacks, twice offering to plead guilty and serve life in prison. Assistant U.S. Attorney Marisa Ford said one offer came on the eve of jury selection, the other two weeks into jury selection.

‘All I ever did was what they told me’
    Green and four other soldiers with the 101st Airborne Division based at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, were investigated after the killings. Three who went to the family's home, along with Green, received lengthy sentences up to 110 years but will become eligible for parole in seven years. Another who had a lesser role was released from military prison after serving 27 months.

All except Green were charged under the Uniform Code of Military Justice and faced a military trial, known as a court martial. Two of the soldiers who were at the home when Green shot the family pleaded guilty and a military jury convicted a third.

Green said the idea of his co-defendants being out of prison one day is "all right with me."

"They planned it," Green said. "All I ever did was what they told me to do."

By the time the Army pressed charges in June 2006, Green had been honorably discharged with a personality disorder and returned to the United States. Because Green had been discharged, prosecutors filed an indictment against him as a civilian.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32694246...flict_in_iraq/

another typical war story

just imagine the things that go on that don't go reported.

and people wonder why there is so much hate and retaliation towards north America for this war...

people in north America put ribbons on their cars and claim to support the war, if they only had a clue what is going on over there.
    this story is another example that just because you have a flag on your shoulder and you are dressed in a government issued costume, this does not mean that you are not capable of making bad decisions.
    Last edited by TurboD; 09-04-2009 at 08:22 PM.

Agree that this is bad

If you are going to report this, please post instances where Taliban/ AQ operatives do the same.

Originally posted by TurboD
    another typical war story

just imagine the things that go on that don't go reported.

and people wonder why there is so much hate and retaliation towards north America for this war...

people in north America put ribbons on their cars and claim to support the war, if they only had a clue what is going on over there.
    this story is another example that just because you have a flag on your shoulder and you are dressed in a government issued costume, this does not mean that you are not capable of making bad decisions.
    Typical closet Taliban/Al qaeda supporter. You raise flags when Western counties commit crimes, but when anyone of your color skin do it, there is silence. Lots of you around and the silence is disturbing.

My Ride
    66 Accord

My Ride
    07 Ruckus, 05 Echo

I'd rather suffer through getting in trouble with the military for not following orders than rape/kill people if it was indeed "just following orders". But then again, I would never join the military.

homelessman, there are instances where the Taliban and Al-Qaeda have invaded, then raped and killed American families?

Originally posted by mx73someday
    I'd rather suffer through getting in trouble with the military for not following orders than rape/kill people if it was indeed "just following orders". But then again, I would never join the military.

homelessman, there are instances where the Taliban and Al-Qaeda have invaded, then raped and killed American families?
    Spin it! Not on American soil. AQ/Taliban do terrible things (rape, torture, intimidate, kill) to their own all the time. Never posted on here.

Fuck any of you who support AQ/TB.
    Last edited by homelessman; 09-05-2009 at 12:21 AM.

My Ride
    charger R/T w R&T, soon 2010 camaro

Originally posted by mx73someday

9/11? they invaded us air space, raped/fucked every person on the air plane and towers, im guessing 95% on that plane and towers were american.

so to answer your question YES they did invaded, then raped and killed American families.

Originally posted by homelessman

Spin it! Not on American soil. AQ/Taliban do terrible things (rape, torture, intimidate, kill) to their own all the time. Never posted on here.

Post up some links!
    Last edited by tawheed; 09-05-2009 at 12:27 AM.
    "I think 90% of motorcycle racing is between the ears." -Kevin Schwantz

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Typical closet Taliban/Al qaeda supporter. You raise flags when Western counties commit crimes, but when anyone of your color skin do it, there is silence. Lots of you around and the silence is disturbing.
    I like what you said here and your attitude about it, so please don't get banned. I agree with you completely.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    King Ranch with boots and a hat to match

Hopefully he gets raped in jail, rapist shitbag

My Ride
    eg6 b16a2

The point of war is to stop terrorist, rape, murders what happens when an American invades another country and does the same?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    07 Ruckus, 05 Echo

That's because it's not news, people get raped and killed by their own people in every country. Some countries are better than others obviously. What's newsworthy is when a country crosses oceans and skies to occupy a country in the name of saving them only to be just as evil as the original evil group.

It sounds like you think that no bad stories about the US military should be reported, or at least unless as many similar bad stories are reported about the US's enemies.

No one in this thread supports them. Can I assume that you support the US military? Is that why you react to bad news stories about them as supporting their enemies?

Originally posted by banned3x

9/11? they invaded us air space, raped/fucked every person on the air plane and towers, im guessing 95% on that plane and towers were american.

so to answer your question YES they did invaded, then raped and killed American families.

I'm pretty sure 9/11 made the news, so no unfair reporting here.
    Last edited by mx73someday; 09-05-2009 at 02:45 AM.

they they they?

so if one small group of shit heads kills americans, then its ok to label an entire nation THEY and then go into their country and rape and kill whoever you please and call it even.

fuck that.

and i DO raise flags when the west does evil things to innocent nations.

if you do not raise a flag and instead support this behavior, you are the one with a problem, not me.

over 7 years and we don't even have bin ladens head, thats how dedicated we are to finding the people responsible.

instead the US is over there killing and raping innocent people not involved with AQ/TB
    Last edited by TurboD; 09-05-2009 at 05:41 AM.

I never knew that Iraq flew the planes into the WTC and invaded Americans... This is new news to me.

homelessman, you are just another prime example of an un-educated piece of shit, that spews out bullshit that he hears and believes from other people.

My Ride
    2002 Accord

Originally posted by TurboD

they they they?

so if one small group of shit heads kills americans, then its ok to label an entire nation THEY and then go into their country and rape and kill whoever you please and call it even.

fuck that.

and i DO raise flags when the west does evil things to innocent nations.

if you do not raise a flag and instead support this behavior, you are the one with a problem, not me.

over 7 years and we don't even have bin ladens head, thats how dedicated we are to finding the people responsible.

instead the US is over there killing and raping innocent people not involved with AQ/TB
    Your "they they they?" rant is pretty much worthless when YOU do the same thing with your "instead the US is over there killing and raping innocent people not involved with AQ/TB"

So if one small group of shit heads kills and rapes then its ok to label an entire nation?

Hypocrisy at its best

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

Originally posted by Redwagon
    Your "they they they?" rant is pretty much worthless when YOU do the same thing with your "instead the US is over there killing and raping innocent people not involved with AQ/TB"

So if one small group of shit heads kills and rapes then its ok to label an entire nation?

Hypocrisy at its best
    Is it really that hard to take the post in proper context by realizing that "the US" is referring to "the US military"?
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

My Ride
    05 MK4 Jetta GLI

Originally posted by stealth

I never knew that Iraq flew the planes into the WTC and invaded Americans... This is new news to me.

homelessman, you are just another prime example of an un-educated piece of shit, that spews out bullshit that he hears and believes from other people.

not quite "homelessman just another example of an american ignoranus."
    Last edited by Type_B; 09-05-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-05-2020 at 01:00 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Originally posted by stealth

Really? That is the best you can come up with? Well, you are from Edmonton.

Based on your profile, grammar, and what you currently drive, I am going to assume that you are some 17 year old moron still living at home. Go read a book.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast