15 50.00%
  • Munich

15 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Berlin or Munich?

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Default Berlin or Munich?

I'll be traveling to Amsterdam on business in mid October and will have a few days to spare. Was thinking of taking in a few German cities along the way and Hamburg has come highly recommended. I have a choice of Munich or Berlin for the second city, with Munich offering the advantage of a direct flight back.

I welcome feedback from those of you who have been to either or both cities.

I have never been to Munich other than the airport for lay-overs but Berlin is a sick city and a lot of fun.
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    '66 VW, 2011 C30

Berlin is totally sick and a lot of fun, but I had a lot more fun when in Munich. Beer Gardens, a lot of good stuff to see.

Berlin has a much better night life from what I experienced, but I just liked Munich better

My Ride
    a car

Berlin has some amazing museums.
    Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand

Haven't seen Munich except for its train station but for Berlin

Last edited by kaput; 04-03-2019 at 07:08 PM.

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

I travelled to Berlin 6 times when I was living in Denmark. You are coming up to Oktoberfest may you be reminded....Berlin is a great city with a ton of things to do, but if your going to be there during the festival...I pick Munich

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Unfortunately, I'll be missing Oktoberfest by 2 weeks. Believe me the thought had crossed my mind.

Munich if you want a more Bavarian style city and Berlin if you want the non-traditional Germany. I'd suggust Munich either way with 2 days. I spent 5 days in Berlin and left kinda pissed cause there was a lot more I wanted to see/do.

My Ride
    2013 Ford Escape

Berlin is my absolute favourite city! I've never been to Munich, and plan to go next time I'm in Germany, but out of all the other cities I've visited in Europe, Berlin had the most to offer.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

I loved both Munich and Berlin. I only voted on Berlin since its way closer to Amsterdam. I'd like to live in Munich one day. Germany is just so awesome. Both you'll love. Berlin is the political capitol (and has a super interesting history), whereas Munich has always been the cultural capitol. Like mentioned above, there's so much to do in Berlin that a couple days may not be enough to do it justice. Whereas Munich you should be able to do a lot in 2 days. I regret the fact that I wasn't able to do the day trip to Schloss Neuschwanstein. Next time forsure!
    Last edited by Seanith; 09-11-2009 at 10:09 AM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    rsx-s

I was in Munich for a week last year, it's a beautiful city and lots see and do around the area. As the other posters say above, if you can make it during Oktoberfest, then DEFINITELY go to Munich, if not, go with Berlin.

I've been to Munich and loved it there. It's a great city and you'll never be bored.

Wanting to go to Berlin. For those that have been, what's it like for WW2 stuff? Or has Germany kind of hidden that stuff away and tried to forget?

Berlin is one of my favorite cities I've ever been to. Though I enjoyed Munich, I really loved Berlin. Ever since I went I always told myself I'd like to live there at least for a year or two. But like already been mentioned, 2 days is not nearly enough to see everything you want to see in Berlin.

The Germans definitely have some shame when it comes to WWII, and there definitely are things that you don't see in museums that they choose to hide, like Hitler's bunker where he died is now a paved parking lot with no signs or anything designating the spot. I wouldn't have even known if it didn't say in my guidebook and I actually walked around that one block for about 20 minutes looking for any signage. And in any of the museums, though they talk about the persecution gone through by the jews and other minorities, there is zero mention of Hitler and the decisions made by the Germans. Its almost as though if its not mentioned anywhere, they can rid themselves of the negative connotation associated with WWII.

But there are still a ton of WWII stuff in Berlin. A ton of museums, quite a few sections of the Berlin Wall are still up, and quite a few memorials that you see even doing normal, everyday stuff. If you find this aspect of history interesting, I would definitely go to Berlin.

My Ride
    SC 03 eclipse, 06 TJ,Shadow1100, HD FXSTC, Chopper

Munich all the way. Such a great city, and there are still traces of Nazi germany, if you are into WW2 history.
    Member since 2003.

My Ride
    firebird

Berlin is my fave city of all time so far, and I thought that they did not try and hide a single drip of the dark history. Every WWII tour will take you to all of the Hitler hotspots. The holocaust memorial is an entire city block right by the brandenburg gate that is very visually striking (albeit odd). I would not expect Hitler or the atrocities to be put in the limelight, but going through the various museums, everything presented appeared to be very sober and humble. I really thought it was neat to see the eastern and western parts of Berlin, complete with parts of the wall wound through out. It is a neat mix of modern architecture and historical buildings and very clean.

Munich was cool as well, but I did not think there was as much to see compared with Berlin.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    '66 VW, 2011 C30

If you do end up going to Berlin I highly recommend the Terry Brewer walking tour, best walking tour in Berlin.

http://www.brewersberlintours.com/

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

Has anyone been to Dresden? I'm heading to Germany on the 25th and want to over night in a couple cities between Berlin and Munich (For Oktoberfest!!)...

My Ride
    1993 Honda Civic EJ1 Hatch

Dresden had more WW2 history than berlin had I think, the british bombed the entire city knowing there was little to no millitary influence in the city at all, just revenge after the luftwaffe bombed london. They rebuilt a church from the 14th century I belive with 75% original blocks and it houses age old relics from all over europe and western asia, great city.

Munchen is still my favourite place though nothing like the big breasted blonde beer girls gotta love em!
    04 Dub TDI
    93 EJ1 Hatch

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Thanks for all the tips fellas. Leaving tomorrow and Belgium has popped up as an alternative to Germany. Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast