Quantcast
Putting in illegal basement suite? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Putting in illegal basement suite?

Default Putting in illegal basement suite?

Just wanting more info for the Calgary laws regarding illegal basement suite on a current house (not purchased yet, just doing research)?

If I bought a house, could I put one of these in? What needs to happen for it to be do-able without having someone summoning you to remove it?
    Obviously wiring, plumbing, etc needs to be to spec. Then what? Just get a house inspector to inspect it? Or?

I heard bedroom windows need to be a certain size for escapability in an event of a fire. What else am I to be looking at or is this too much of a hassle and I should look at property with this already installed?

My Ride
    2016 Focus RS - Stealth Grey

Do you know what the rules are to make it legal? Would it be to hard to legalize it and have less headaches in the long run?
    If you have it as an illegal suite and someone does die down there, I believe you can be criminally charged.
    I can look it up a bit for you.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2016 Focus RS - Stealth Grey

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server....ary+Suites.htm

Here's what I found so far. Might guide you in the right direction.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

The addition would definitely conform to ALL safety standards as I wouldn't feel comfortable renting to someone otherwise. But the sizing requirements and zoning could be an issue which you cannot get around (granted I haven't bought the property yet), seperate ventilation system and possibly changing out the drywall to firewall might be too hard/not cost effective at all.

Thanks for the links, it gives me a start.

Now, if anyone's actually done this and can post their experiences legal or illegal suite. Please do.

Do legal suites rent for more? I believe they can garner higher sale values but that's about it is it not?

My Ride
    O.P.P.

You can have ppl living in your basement, whether they be relatives or actual tenants being charge rent, in ANY dwelling in ANY are of the city. The catch is that only a few of the older areas of the City are zoned R-2 (legal separate living areas w/kitchens up and down). In any residential area zoned R-1, you can't have a kitchen OR a 220V outlet (unless its being used for the washer/dryer) in the basement area of the dwelling.

As far as the building of the suite, as long as you have all the proper permits, have the building process inspected by a city building inspector every step of the way, and are using a licensed contractor, you won't have any problems regarding any liability....

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

I'm not sure on all the technicalities but the thing that is stopping us from completing the rennovation in our basement is the wiring for the kitchen. Particularly the oven. We have a full above ground walkout though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    She wishes it was deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So deep put her ass to sleep.

So basically, I can meet the requirements except the zoning requirement and be good to go.

Can I have a city building inspector come check out the progress without a permit to develop/make a suite? I mean it sounds like he'd say, where's your permit to build or something. Then fine me.

Sorry for the noob questions, just starting this process out/reserarching before jumping into it.

My Ride
    O.P.P.

I think if you pay a fee, you can bypass the step-by-step permits and jsut have the inspector do the final inspection (before drywalling of course). I would just call and speak to an inspector-they're actually decent guys to talk to and will actually guide you thru what you need to do.....

My Ride
    O.P.P.

Originally posted by DonJuan
    I'm not sure on all the technicalities but the thing that is stopping us from completing the rennovation in our basement is the wiring for the kitchen. Particularly the oven. We have a full above ground walkout though.
    Originally posted by cocoabrova
    In any residential area zoned R-1, you can't have a kitchen OR a 220V outlet (unless its being used for the washer/dryer) in the basement area of the dwelling.

As someone looking for a good basement suite right now... PLEASE make it legal.

Here's what makes an excellent basement suite (and one that can rent for more).

- Nice kitchen, please don't skimp too much on this. Some are just stupid (ie counter extending into doorway)
    - Completely seperate entrance to basement
    - Own washer/dryer, or if shared, seperate entrances/doors to room.
    - Seperate furnace for both suites. No one wants to have a chick living upstairs that cranks the heat to 26 while you want it at 18.

Thanks BlackArcher.
    If I was to do one, it would be legal but probably not legal on paper according to the city of Calgary.

Your points are well taken and I've been looking at places with these suites downstairs and I know where you're coming from. Lots are serious pieces of junk slapped together. Own washer/dryer is hard to warrant in cost vs. return. But definitely having the washer in a common area is best.
    Seperate furnace or atleast some workarounds for it. Block off switch and additional heaters.

Basically, what I see though is if the area is in an R-1 area (which 99% of the city seems to be) I'm screwed and can't do this with a kitchen down there unless I go illegal. But what are the implications? Can an inspector tell me to remove it? I'm probably liable to any fires/deaths?

Thanks cocoabrova and inline6,

Mike

Might want to look at this:

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server....nt+Process.htm

City of Calgary offers grants up to $25,000 for you to put in a secondary suite in your home.
    ---

My Ride
    Vmax

If its not legal and to code the city can make you tear out the kitchen.

If it is properly zoned but the suite was not rented for a period of time and then you start renting it again it has to be brought to modern codes. These include fire protection and seperate HVAC systems. Windows of certian size and linked smoke detectors.

All it will take is your neighbor to complain that you have a non conforming suite and that will start the ball rolling.

My cousins where able to put in a legal suite, with a kitchen, in their walk-out basement. They called it a mother-in-law suite. The city let them do it. They live in a R1 zoned area.

Originally posted by luv2ride_bikes
    My cousins where able to put in a legal suite, with a kitchen, in their walk-out basement. They called it a mother-in-law suite. The city let them do it. They live in a R1 zoned area.

Hi,

Did your cousins get the property re-zoned to R2?
    Can you provide more informations on how they had the suite legalized?
    What are the steps to take to get it legalized?

Thanks.

My Ride
    12' Civic, 88' Prelude, 02' F350

Originally posted by mr2mike

Basically, what I see though is if the area is in an R-1 area (which 99% of the city seems to be) I'm screwed and can't do this with a kitchen down there unless I go illegal. But what are the implications? Can an inspector tell me to remove it? I'm probably liable to any fires/deaths?

Mike
    I am 95% sure that you are liable for deaths occur in the basement, im not too sure about fires though. Realistically if you are going to make an illegal basement suite (which im guessing 25% of the city has, if not more) create it w/ some proper planning. Meaning proper sized exitable windows in EVERY room. Smoke detectors etc....