Quantcast
Protests in New Brunswick over hiring of Albertans - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Protests in New Brunswick over hiring of Albertans

Default Protests in New Brunswick over hiring of Albertans

Thoughts?

Workers in New Brunswick are furious about the recent hiring of some Albertans.

Hundreds of workers from Alberta have been hired to help build a natural gas plant in the Bay of Fundy.

The project is partially funded through taxpayer dollars and local workers say they should be given the chance to do the job.

A court injunction has been issued against the New Brunswick protesters and some of the workers are so concerned for their safety, they are heading back to Alberta.
    http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome
    Last edited by battleaxe1; 09-18-2009 at 06:13 PM.

I'm a firm believer in earning your wage and the position should go to the person who is the best fit for the job. If this means having to hire someone with expertise from out of province, there's nothing wrong with that.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

i wonder if we should be protesting them coming here to work in the oilsands?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Amysicle
    I'm a firm believer in earning your wage and the position should go to the person who is the best fit for the job. If this means having to hire someone with expertise from out of province, there's nothing wrong with that.
    Best fit for the job doesn't always mean getting the job. It may have went to lowest bidder.

Neutral on this. The protesters' stand is basically same as the "Buy America" provision in the US that is screwing Canadians. I don't like protectionism and I don't know how the bid went for this contract. If the location firm lost the bid fair and square, these people shouldn't complain.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-18-2009 at 06:38 PM.

My Ride
    fast and red.

From the oft-quoted charter of rights...

(2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right

(a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
    (b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Best fit for the job doesn't always mean getting the job. It may have went to lowest bidder.
    I am aware of this.

However if all things being equal (experience, education, skill), I find it a bit difficult to believe that Albertans are asking for less money than someone from New Brunswick for work given the cost of living, especially if they have a family to support back at home.

Everything else you said I would agree with.

Edit: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1293657/

A more detailed article about the situation.
    Last edited by Amysicle; 09-18-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-05-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by Rat Fink
    When I worked on Hibernia I had a few newfies give me shit for being out there. I used to just tell them "I'm out here because your uncle and brother took my job back home".
    Blahahaha, that's sweet... but newfies are usually cool ppl... dated this newfie chick once (3-4 years ago), don't have a bad thing to say about her.

Edit: Then she got up caught in this Alberta boom and ditched my ass (i.e. lookin' for more bling)... but you know, I understand, climbing the ladder in life right.

My Ride
    RSTi

The company they were working for had a mandate to hire at least 75% local for the project and they were above 90%.

They need to suck it up and move out here if they want work so bad

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

Originally posted by spikers
    i wonder if we should be protesting them coming here to work in the oilsands then once the boom began to decline taking their riches and scurrying back to the Maritimes?
    Fixed.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

I think it's hilarious, why? Because it's a taste of their own fucking medicine.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    Silverado

^^ werd, they have been looking out of province for work for 20+ years. we finally give it a shot and they're are like noooo out homeland

My Ride
    Axis powers

perhaps those maritimers aren't smart enough to build the plant and they required people who had the knowledge?!?
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Dozens of Alberta workers are being flown back from New Brunswick after being swarmed by protesters from the local workforce, who claim the westerners stole their jobs.

A number of tradespeople from the Alberta-based contractor Integral Energy Service Ltd. were flown to Saint John 10 days ago after being hired by the engineering firm SNC-Lavalin to help complete the Canaport Liquefied Natural Gas plant, belonging to Irving Oil.

But a growing group of protesters gathered outside Hotel Courtenay Bay where up to 100 Alberta workers were staying until being pulled from the project and transported to Moncton, where they were scheduled to fly home on Friday.

"For a few days, it was maybe 20 of them, but it started to escalate to the point where there were hundreds of them yelling and blowing air horns," said Calgary electrician Graham Kvigstad.

"They would stand in front of the bus and prevent us from leaving. We left an hour early for work on Monday without them knowing and they didn’t like that so much so when we came back that evening, they just started sprinting toward the bus yelling and spitting and screaming."

Andrew Dawson, Atlantic Canada representative for the Canadian Office of the Building and Construction Trades Department, called the protests a cry for help.

"We have an abundance of local workers; our government spends millions of dollars training people to be tradesmen," said Dawson, adding he thinks the out-of-province workers were brought in to keep budget costs down.

"You’re building it under our noses while we’re sitting here looking for work."

SNC-Lavalin has issued a statement saying it was disappointed with the protests.
    Ahh NB, the trailer park of Canada. The funniest part is that they only want to work enough weeks to top up their EI
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by adam c
    perhaps those maritimers aren't smart enough to build the plant and they required people who had the knowledge?!?

whhoa.. easy on calling them dummies

*insert inbred newfie joke*

That whole area is still highly protectionist. Many old people still do not adhere/acknowledge that they are a part of Canada. IE: Newfoundland was without doubt a British Territory before 1949. They were the last to join Canada in 1949.

Everything sort of fell apart for them because of protectionism (mostly IMO). The land is ridiculously underdeveloped due to squatting (not by natives, but by the white peeps). Technically there is absolutely no reason other than protectionism why those areas should not be as developed as Manhattan by now.

Edit: Yes, the education system out there is pretty screwed up. Right now there are a whole bunch of recently graduated geology and petrochemical engineers who have zero field experience. I don't believe any eastern coastal cities had a university with a petrochemical major study a decade or so ago.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 09-19-2009 at 09:58 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by ZenOps
    *insert inbred newfie joke*

That whole area is still highly protectionist. Many old people still do not adhere/acknowledge that they are a part of Canada. IE: Newfoundland was without doubt a British Territory before 1949. They were the last to join Canada in 1949.

Everything sort of fell apart for them because of protectionism (mostly IMO). The land is ridiculously underdeveloped due to squatting (not by natives, but by the white peeps). Technically there is absolutely no reason other than protectionism why those areas should not be as developed as Manhattan by now.

You do realize New Brunswick is NOT Newfoundland, right? Those old people would have to be pretty fucking ancient to have experienced a pre-Canada life. (NB entered Canada in 1867)

Seriously, do you live under a rock?
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 09-19-2009 at 09:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

You do realize New Brunswick is NOT Newfoundland, right? Those old people would have to be pretty fucking ancient to have experienced a pre-Canada life. (NB entered Canada in 1867

Seriously, do you live under a rock?
    The general area is all the same. If its coastal and has access to the offshore oilrigs it doesn't really matter which province actually owns it.

Nova Scotia isn't *too* badly developed. But in general, the whole area is the ghetto of Canada IMO. Winnipeg is a close second.

Which is abosolutely stupifying considering coastal cities around the world have a ridiculous advantage.

Is there resentment when a "rich" Albertan comes to the east coast to take away job in the ghetto. Absolutely.

I'm not too sure, but I think taxes from Hibernia go to Newfieland.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 09-19-2009 at 10:06 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Silverado

wow. i'm glad i put zenops on my ignore list..

Just calling them as everyone is too afraid to admit to
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast