Quantcast
Inspection at end of lease..security deposit ect ect - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Inspection at end of lease..security deposit ect ect

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Default Inspection at end of lease..security deposit ect ect

Hello,

I will start looking for a house in the near future and will be moving out from my current appartment. I have been here for 2 years and it is the first rental I ever had. I just got a question about moving out inspection and all that.

Say my last day here is January 31st and I stay right till the last day, when does the inspection happen, after I completely move out or can they come in earlier while I am packing all my shit to go? Just curious how the process works.

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

they will likely wait till you are out of the apartment.

did you do a walk through when you moved in?

advice for new renters: always do a walk through with the maagement ad write down deficiencies before you move in, so you dont get dinged for it. would be worth while to take pics of all the rooms and etc. .. look on the back side of all the doors, there might be holes.

if i were you, i would move out a day or 2 earlier and give yourself a day to clean.

pull out the stove and fridge and clean behind it, scrub the tub and behind the toilet, etc.,etc.,etc.

some of these management ccompanies will nickel and dime you to death and try and keep your damage deposit.

get your place more clean than wen you moved in.
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    335i

they have 10 business days to inspect the property and make deductions after you leave.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride

cool thanks, yah shortly before we moved in the lady wrote down all the stuff about existing damage but she was not very specific, stuff like "few dings on walls", "cracks on floor" stuff like that, even wrote down things like "nail holes in walls"...was very not specific, i was a first time renter, so I didn't really know what do to. I made 1 hole since I moved in (size of a tac), since the inspection said there are already holes like this...figured 1 more they won't catch. We kept it pretty clean...except the couter top if royaly messed up in on part (the paint pealed because the counter top is the cheapest peice of crap you can buy)...thinking of repairing it before I move out out of my pocket...or should i just say fuck it?

They won't charge more then the damage deposit right? I mean it is nowhere near $1100 in damange on the countertop (just need to fix a 1 foot section), otherwise everything is same as the day we moved in

take a read through the residental tenancy act, its pretty clear on what they can / can't charge for. for example, they are not allowed to keep your DD for any damaged cause by "normal wear and tear" Don't know if the countertop was prevent able but if it happend due to reasons out of your control, they cant really charge you for it. I think that pin holes are the same story...

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Normally landlords (at least the ones managed by big corps) give tenants a move out check list of things that have to be cleaned. If they didnt, chances are that they wont care THAT much about little things.

My old rental check out list place stated that if carpets werent professionally cleaned (for 100$ - need to show receipt) they would ding 50$ off the DD - which I said to go ahead and do.

I might have mentioned the counter earlier, that way there wasnt going to be any suprises come move out, especially if it was an accident (eg. hot pan on counter top).

You can also get some good countertop paint which holds quite well - the prep work is bitch though.

My Ride
    335i

The countertop damage is not normal wear and tear. The holes in the walls from pictures are.

You should repair it. They can sue you for any shortfall between the deposit and the actual cost of replacing the countertop.

A cheap lino counter won't cost much if you DIY. I think theres a few ads on Kijiji for guys who will come out and replace the whole top for around $250-400.

Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    The countertop damage is not normal wear and tear. The holes in the walls from pictures are.

You should repair it. They can sue you for any shortfall between the deposit and the actual cost of replacing the countertop.

A cheap lino counter won't cost much if you DIY. I think theres a few ads on Kijiji for guys who will come out and replace the whole top for around $250-400.
    My dad is a handy man, he will repair it for like $20 bucks. What happened is we used those anti-slip mats under the dish drying rack to prevent it from sliding around ect....well after a year and a half we were doing a good clean and removed the damn sliding mats...but because they are made of sticky rubbery material and the counter top is just a paint coat on top of what looks like MDF....well yah it picked the paint up right with it. I will sand it down and get it repaired for sure. I would be surprised if that counter top actually costs any more then 100 new haha, what a dorky thing, but definatelly tought me to get tile or granite countertop in the future.

Thanks everyone for the input

My Ride

since eblend got his answer, I hope its ok I hijack ...

I'm in a similar situation, just bought my first place and am moving out of my rental condo.

I've kept it in pretty good condition except I have hung up a lot of framed art, some of which are heavy pictures requiring wall plugs, leaving larger than normal holes behind.

Is this considered normal or should I at least make the effort to patch/sand/prime the holes?

My Ride
    14' 435i

for holes bigger then a small nail or tack, i would fix them..

at my 1st rental place we fixed EVERY hole, but thats jus because we were painting it anyway so..

Last edited by J NRG; 10-21-2009 at 01:04 AM.
    Beyond
    belief
    reason
    but not beyond puberty.

My Ride

My landlord has been pretty good the one time we required help, our locks were kind of busted...key would not always work, he arranged for a locksmith to come in the next day and repair it. Hopefully it all works out.

Anyone ever try to re-rent an appartment while still on a lease? I might buy a new place before the lease runs out, no point in paying for 2 places...so anyone?

My Ride
    BMW

Most lease agreements forbid subleasing without the landlords approval.

That is one major thing I always make sure I put in my lease agreements on my properties.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by eblend
    My landlord has been pretty good the one time we required help, our locks were kind of busted...key would not always work, he arranged for a locksmith to come in the next day and repair it. Hopefully it all works out.

Anyone ever try to re-rent an appartment while still on a lease? I might buy a new place before the lease runs out, no point in paying for 2 places...so anyone?
    If you are reasonable to your landlord, my bet is that he'll be reasonable to you. If you find a good tenant that is willing to sign a lease, you save him the trouble of doing it himself.

I'm willing to bet he'll forgive the 2 months if you get him a 12 months commitment from another tenant. Advertise the place now and see what you get...when you find someone, call your landlord and let him know that you intend to leave bit early and have a new tenant willing to take over the unit for another year. 1. No downtime between tenants. 2. No interviewing tenants/showings. 3. Another lease signed.

All win for everyone

Felon or Mistermeiner