Quantcast
Macbook Pro - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro

My Ride
    This and that.

Default Macbook Pro

So I've decided to buy the Macbook Pro and gonna get the 13" one because I don't want the size to be too big and I think it's the pefect size for my needs. I was only and checking it out on apple website upgrading the ram to 4gb and hard drive to 250gb. The total comes out to $1,579.

Just wondering what you guys would recommend, if I should get it from the apple website, or local shop like best buy or something? Where would I get the best deal on this?

What I like about being able to order on apple website is that I can select the options and do the upgrades, not quite sure if I can do that at bestbuy or not.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 09-20-2009 at 09:45 PM.

My Ride
    00 Honda CR-V, 02 IS300

don't upgrade the ram and hard drive through apple, it is much cheaper to purchase the upgrades separately through memory express or something like that, and then after that you can sell off the other hard drive/ram. A 320GB hard drive is under $100 these days.

There should be no warranty issues changing the drive and ram.

My Ride
    IS350

I don't think the price for Apple products varies at all between retailers. Ie. If Apple is offering $50 off on Macbook Pros's (in-store and online) usually everywhere else reflects the same price (Best Buy, etc)

I was unfortunate enough to buy my aluminum MacBook about 3 weeks before they changed the lineup to the Pro (same price/more features) and I just ended up picking it up at Best Buy because the price was the same as Apple.ca and I didn't need to modify the specs.

I love this laptop though and I'm sure you'll enjoy the MBP too!

My Ride
    335i

Try and take advantage of the school discount if you know anyone who is attending.

Otherwise, look into a refurb. They carry the same warranty coverage and are about $200 cheaper. Don't do any upgrades through apple. You can upgrade that stuff you listed for about $100.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by CivicDXR
    don't upgrade the ram and hard drive through apple, it is much cheaper to purchase the upgrades separately through memory express or something like that, and then after that you can sell off the other hard drive/ram. A 320GB hard drive is under $100 these days.

There should be no warranty issues changing the drive and ram.
    To upgrade both the ram and hard drive it's only $179 extra through apple. I mean I am not too aware of the costs and prices of these things but that doesn't sound too bad?

I don't have to upgrade but since I seen that it's only $179 more, I am thinking might as well. Which is why I am thinking of ordering through apple. If not I could just wait till tom and pick one up from best buy, just not sure if I can upgrade there, or if I even need to upgrade in the first place.

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Try and take advantage of the school discount if you know anyone who is attending.

Otherwise, look into a refurb. They carry the same warranty coverage and are about $200 cheaper. Don't do any upgrades through apple. You can upgrade that stuff you listed for about $100.
    Really? Hmm so no upgrades eh. Then I might as well get it from best buy. And school discount? How does that work? My gf goes to Mount Royal, how can I get that school discount?

What about buying through the Apple Store in Market Mall?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Yeah, if you know anyone who can get an education discount, you save $100 on the MBP. Too bad you didn't decide sooner cause you would've gotten a free iPod with the purchase too, but that promo ended a couple weeks ago.

Originally posted by shakalaka

Really? Hmm so no upgrades eh. Then I might as well get it from best buy. And school discount? How does that work? My gf goes to Mount Royal, how can I get that school discount?
    http://canadaedu.apple.com/routing/index.php?lang=eng

My Ride
    IS350

AFAIK there is an option on the apple.ca store where you can choose education pricing and you'll be able to choose the post-secondary institution and enter her student ID. i thought the student discount is only $50 though(?)

edit...yeah, what he just posted above me lol

edit edit...S my D! it is $100 now. nice, i got $50 off mine and then they released a better version weeks later that you can now get $100 off. FML
    Last edited by Stephen81; 09-20-2009 at 10:12 PM.

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Yeah, if you know anyone who can get an education discount, you save $100 on the MBP. Too bad you didn't decide sooner cause you would've gotten a free iPod with the purchase too, but that promo ended a couple weeks ago.

http://canadaedu.apple.com/routing/index.php?lang=eng

I know I heard about that promo kinda sucks but can't do much about it now.

Anyway followed the link you posted and selected Alberta and Mount Royal and the prices went down a $100 so $1299 for the MBP. My question is if I go ahead and purchase it are they going to want an ID or proof that I am an actual student there? Like I said my gf goes there so if this was doable in a shop then I can just get her to go and get one with the discount. Not quite sure how it would work online though.

My Ride
    G37S

For what you get inside, Macbooks, IMHO, are ridiculously overpriced. You can get a pc laptop thats around $900 and better in almost every aspect. The only reason I can see for someone to get a macbook, is if you dont care about bang for buck and just want an apple logo on the back.

My Ride
    G35

Its really easy to change the hard drive. I bought a 500gb from memory express and changed it myself. Those go for ~$100 right now.

Originally posted by ReflexFX
    For what you get inside, Macbooks, IMHO, are ridiculously overpriced. You can get a pc laptop thats around $900 and better in almost every aspect. The only reason I can see for someone to get a macbook, is if you dont care about bang for buck and just want an apple logo on the back.
    Somehow, I don't think this will help him much. If he's seriously considering an Apple computer, that means that he's thought about bang-for-buck and couldn't give a flying fuck. I should be a rapper. /s

At any rate, don't upgrade your RAM and HDD from Apple. Mac Sales is way cheaper. I got a 4 GB Samsung RAM kit and a 320 GB, 7200 WD Scorpio Black hard drive from them for well under $200 shipped.

My Ride
    This and that.

I am just checking out their refurbished one's. Would you guys recommend getting one of these?
    http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/hom...id=AOS-US-AFFC

I can get at 15" one for about the same price as brand new 13". I am not sure I am a bit reluctant since they are refurbished and all.

And as far as the upgrade is concerned, I am gonna drop that idea since almost everyone seems to be against it. I guess I can always do that later, if I feel that I could use a faster computer. I don't play games or do anything like that on them anyway. I just use them for regular internet use and occassional movie downloading and stuff and I am sure it should be good enough for that out of the box.

My Ride
    IS350

I had looked at the refurb as well and passed on them...but that's mostly because I've never bought refurb'd electronics before. honestly i thought the 13" screen was going to be small but i have no issues after four months.

My Ride
    Stock 240sx fastback SE

Originally posted by ReflexFX
    You have no idea what your talking about.

Macbook: Aluminum
    Pc: Majority of the top of the line are huge and plastic.

Macbook: Backlit LED Screen
    Pc: Backlit conventional lighting = dims after time and looks like poop

Macbook: Multi-touch mouse pad, backlit keyboard, magsafe power, snow leopard rape's 64 bit vista / win 7 ...

need i say more..

Goof.

My Ride
    This and that.

This isn't about pc vs mac. I have had way too many laptops before and they have been pc so I know for sure that it's gonna be a mbp this time. All I am looking for is the best deal to be honest, I want to get one asap, perhaps even order one online tonight and go to sleep all happy. lol
    I am waiting at the checkout screen for that student discount one, just trying to find out if they are going to ask for a student id or some other sort of verification related to my name on my credit card, cause if so then I won't have any.

Go open box dude. Its an easy 5-10% discount.

I got an open box at Best Buy for 1259 - it still had the plastic on it.

It also came with a printer, iworks09 and Photoshop elements 6 and snow leopard upgrade (in a box).

But I exchanged it for the 15" Pro. The 13" was returned at Deerfoot Meadows. It might be even less this time (double return).
    Last edited by scary_perry; 09-20-2009 at 10:33 PM.

Default Re: Macbook Pro

This isn't about pc vs mac.

Especially when this is already stated in the first sentence.
    So I've decided to buy the Macbook Pro...

My Ride
    335i

13" is a great size. I debated between the 13 and 15" and decided to get the former. It's lightweight, sleek, and you can barely feel it in your bag.

Text is easy to read and the battery life is great. If you want excellent portability, grab the 13".

I think the student discounted one is about $100 off and you have to enter a valid student email address. I doubt they verify too much.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast