Quantcast
Weingarten to get $4.75M pension - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Weingarten to get $4.75M pension

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

It was a good response, but im pretty sure those numbers have been in the financial reportings for several years now if im not mistaken? Its just come to everyone's attention now that hes left. I myself left U of C 4 years ago after one year because I thought it was a dump and came to Lethbridge so Im not sure what hes done to the place (i didnt think it could get worse).
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

Ya, I guess it's a matter that the board was lining their pockets too or something. I mean I see they even extended his term.

So FAACKKK YOU EMILY WYATT and the rest of the board! What UofC world were they living in? Did Weingarten give them all free trips to his probably luxury vacation home(s)???

If I was still there I'd be lobbying to oust the whole board for doing this to a once pretty decent learning institution.

http://thegauntlet.ca/story/10977

University of Calgary president Dr. Harvey Weingarten will continue his reign over campus--for the next five years, at least.

Weingarten's contract has been extended until Sept. 20, 2011, the board of governors announced Mon., Jan. 29.

Weingarten was hired in 2001 and his term has been under review since early 2006. Students' Union president Emily Wyatt, who sits on the board, said they voted to extend Weingarten's term at their first meeting in September, but the details were confidential until now.

"As I understand there was interest from other universities, especially ones in the States," said Wyatt.

Earlier this year, U of C Faculty Association president Anton Colijn criticized the BOG for not including all stakeholders in the presidential review process. Wyatt said that even though much of the review process was confidential, stakeholders were consulted.

"I'd recommend that we continue to have a review process and it's not just a rubber stamp," said Wyatt. "I'd love a little more of a public review process, but I think this is pretty standard for what boards do."

Board chair Brian MacNeill was not available for an interview, though the board did release a press release commending Weingarten.

"On all of the key benchmarks, including the quality of our students, financial stewardship, fund development and community profile, the University has seen measurable and often remarkable process," MacNeill said in the release. "By any objective measure, Dr. Weingarten has been remarkably successful and we want to make sure we keep him."

Glad I never gave a dime of my money to that place. What a joke.

My Ride
    ACR/EG/FJZ80/DC4/DC2/22RE

Wow, I'd like to get a handshake deal over a contract deal....

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...-contract.html

I lawlz at the amount of crybabies in this forum.

I'm not a crybaby, I just don't think he's deserving of this. The UofC tried to cover their tracks. Lets be honest here.

Where's the fucking accountability of this guy and the rest of the board members???

Now it wasn't even on paper, it was a handshake deal? The UofC sends the auditor the wrong paperwork and were late in sending it? C'mon. What a fucking embarassment to them.

Seriously, not on paper... it should be not valid and they can now fuck Weingartner over harder than he's fucked the UofC and all it's undergrad programs, infrastructure and staff.

I don't know, everyone's issues always boil down to some effect it has had on them. Because really, nobody gives a crap if it's going to be bad for someone else if they're not effected.

The pension would seem pretty typical for me for the highest ranking office in such a large organization. However, I do have an issue that they're including the time he wasn't actually presiding over the U of C (from what I remember) in justifying the amount. But again, when he came on to the U of C, he was, most likely, promised some amount of money for his pension in order to get him on board regardless. If anything, the administrative people themselves are the dumbasses for not considering they're missing such an obvious expense and not having it on record. I guess maybe I just don't think $5 million is unreasonable for a guy that was just alright at running the university.

I'm going to jump to some assumptions based on the point I started on; Your issue with this is that he doesn't deserve it because he's degraded the education you've received somehow.

The disconnect with you and I is that I don't think a University is a place that should hand out educations. I went to the U of C and I don't see how I stand at a disadvantage vs. my friends at Waterloo, McMaster, UBC, U Vic, or the other Universities in Canada. It sure hasn't really put me at a disadvantage since I graduated. That's the reality, in undergraduate programs, in a country that enforces a highly regulated post secondary system.

The only disadvantage I personally see is that most engineering firms in Calgary are pretty dry. Oil and gas, EPC, etc.. is pretty boring ass work. So geographically, I wish it was closer to more interesting employers
    Last edited by Pahnda; 10-02-2009 at 05:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2