Quantcast
laser eye surgery & reading glasses - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: laser eye surgery & reading glasses

Default laser eye surgery & reading glasses

I've been thinking about getting LASIK surgery but I'm worried about how it might affect the age at which I'll need reading glasses later in life.

For example, currently my dad has trouble seeing things at close-range unless he takes off his glasses, at which point he is fine. Once I have LASIK, I'll lose the ability to do this. This could mean something like I would need reading glasses at age 40 instead of 55 (pulling numbers out of the air).

Has anyone else ever thought about this or considered it before having LASIK?

Coming from an ex-employee at an optometrist office, I used to deal with a lot of patients around the 45-50 age group whom have had lasik done previously and all of them tell me it's worth it. If you calculate the costs yearly for contacts/glasses, it adds up where as if you do get lasik done say at the ages of 25-30, you're without that cost for about 20-25years.
    The reading glasses are inevitable as everyone needs them when you get older but the plus to these is that most people whom need reading glasses are able to pick up the pairs that they sell at the drug stores which costs $15-20/pair. The reason being is that they usually have the same prescription in both eyes.

There are still things you need to be careful of though when you have lasik done as it can cause issues for some so before you make that decision, make sure you weigh out all the pros and cons. Talk to your doctor, they'll tell you whether or not you'd be a suitable candidate.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by maz3
    The reading glasses are inevitable as everyone needs them when you get older.
    ^^^
    This includes those who were born with perfect vision.

The only exception would be those who are myopic (near-sighted). They can read without glasses but they can't see far. Of course glasses would be required to see distance but they won't be able to read with the glasses on, unless the glasses are bifocals.

If you're a good candidate, do it. You won't have to worry about reading glasses until you are about your dad's age. I would rather deal with glasses ONLY for reading when I'm older, than to wear glasses or contacts ALL THE TIME to see anything in the distance for the rest of my life.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

what is the average cost of this now? I have been mulling doing this for quite a few years.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    rsx-s

Originally posted by spikers

what is the average cost of this now? I have been mulling doing this for quite a few years.
    The prices may vary based on your prescription and which procedure you go with. I had an ICL surgery done through Dr Gimbel because my eyes were super bad and didn't qualify for laser eye surgery.

The poor man pays twice, don't cheap out...when it comes to your eyes it's not worth cutting corners!

Originally posted by nosegrindR

The prices may vary based on your prescription and which procedure you go with. I had an ICL surgery done through Dr Gimbel because my eyes were super bad and didn't qualify for laser eye surgery.

The poor man pays twice, don't cheap out...when it comes to your eyes it's not worth cutting corners!

ICL in 2004 cost me $3,695 per eye. Add $20 for eye drops for a grand total of $7,410.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

There is a huge thread on this already.

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Upper right hand corner. USE IT.

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

how long have you been waiting to put up that picture?

want some water to wash out the vag?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

Last edited by KLCC; 09-25-2009 at 10:26 PM.

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

My Ride
    My Car

holden, I have done laser eye surgery it cost me about 3600 i think it was less but that was for 2 of my eyes, i did it straight laser and it wasnt the one where hey had to cut my eye and all that stuff i did mine at chinook about a year or so ago, its well worth it and another thing not any one can just go and do it see your doctor and see what he has to say, he/she will transfer you from there to a docter that does laser eye surgery... good luck and another thing when i got mine done i had to wear black glasses for like 3 or 4 days and couldnt watch tv or any thing for all that time and had to put eye drops every 2.5 hrs for 25hs for the 3/4 days... good luck

thanks all... i've actually gotten the assessment done at Demong and everything is good to go... i was just having some last-minute apprehensions before booking the surgery date...

My Ride
    KTM

Originally posted by holden
    thanks all... i've actually gotten the assessment done at Demong and everything is good to go... i was just having some last-minute apprehensions before booking the surgery date...
    I would do some further read up on Demong before proceeding- back when i got my eyes done 6 years ago he had several law suits against him and a poor reputation.

One wonders why the smartest and wealthy do not have this procedure done? I am thinking of Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and Warren Buffett. I know of a couple of people who have had the procedure done, all think it was well worth it and they paid way more in 2002-2007.

Originally posted by spikers
    how long have you been waiting to put up that picture?

want some water to wash out the vag?
    Nice one!!