Quantcast
Duty fee for ordering winter tires from USA? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Duty fee for ordering winter tires from USA?

My Ride
    07 Yaris RS

Default Duty fee for ordering winter tires from USA?

I am looking to order 4 Michelin - X-Ice Xi2 winter tires from Tirerack.com as it cost about $200 cheaper than Costco after shipping. The only thing I am concern about is duty fee. Does anyone know if it will cost an arm and a leg for duty for winter tires from the US?

Also anyone have experience with Tire Rack?

Thanks!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I believe tire-rack includes all duties in their shipping prices to Canada. Haven't used them myself, but friends have, and they like it.

edit: nevermind, they include the UPS ripoff fees, not the actual duties/taxes.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 09-27-2009 at 10:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    I believe tire-rack includes all duties in their shipping prices to Canada. Haven't used them myself, but friends have, and they like it.

from tirerack:

CANADIAN ORDERS:

All orders from Tire Rack are billed in US currency. On the day the transaction is processed, your credit card company will convert to Canadian currency using the current exchange rates and fees of the issuing bank.
    The sales taxes and duties included in this order are collected on behalf of the applicable Canadian government agencies. No additional taxes, duties, or fees will be collected by UPS Canada upon delivery of this order.
    Delivery may be delayed by customs procedures.

tirerack's price they give and charge you is everything (duties,tax,ship,etc...) landed at your door. You don't pay anymore than what they say you're going to.

My Ride
    07 Yaris RS

Great!! Thanks for your help Abeo!

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

yea this is what i figured, they likely dont include the actual duty fees issued at the border so i figure there will be a surcharge on top of your cost. But to be honest instead of starting a debate in this thread why dont you send them an email and get an answer from the company itself?
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    Merc SL55 AMG

I've purchased about 12 sets of tires in the last 2 years from tirerack.com.

All Duties and Brokerage and Taxes are included in the price. There are absolutely no extra chargers after you receive the tires.

If you go through checkout you can see at the bottom an outline of GST, BROKERAGE, DUTIES, LEVY all included.

You could also read the faq and it tells you the same thing.

Originally posted by chkolny541

they likely dont include the actual duty fees issued at the border so i figure there will be a surcharge on top of your cost. ?
    they do and there isn't.

You could have the tires delivered to a location in Montana, perhaps a service shop and have the whole kit put on your car while you are down there.

Something to think about, Tirerack has authorized service centres listed on their website. You can make a day trip of it or overnight. Think about getting some electronics as well, see www.vanns.com. This is what I do, big savings compared to Canadian prices.

Originally posted by hippak
    I've purchased about 12 sets of tires in the last 2 years from tirerack.com.

All Duties and Brokerage and Taxes are included in the price. There are absolutely no extra chargers after you receive the tires.

If you go through checkout you can see at the bottom an outline of GST, BROKERAGE, DUTIES, LEVY all included.

You could also read the faq and it tells you the same thing.
    Is the USA warranty on the tires and rims useable in Canada?

My Ride
    Evo X, R6, Tundra

have you tried Discounttiredirect? i found their prices cheaper then tirerack

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Or you could also try 1010tires.com and svae yourself the duty!

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Or buy them from Urban X...one of sponsors and local shop.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Tuner1 is offline Tunerworks Guru (E36S50B32)
    My Ride
    ///MPower, 4x4, Bianchi & Trek

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Or buy them from Urban X...one of sponsors and local shop.
    Gee, finally someone with some long-term thinking.

I wonder if supporting local businesses is a good idea

Does anyone ever stop to think where their hard-earned Canadian dollars end up when they buy "mail order" from another country?

I have never seen Tire Rack beat our prices by more than 10% and often we can meet or beat their prices. Not to mention the products carry a local warranty and can be installed and serviced by the same people you buy the products from. What a novel idea

Rob

I guess it would all depend on how much "relationship and local support" matter to the buyer. There are savings to be had with tirerack after you calculate shipping, taxes, duties and exchange.

For example, I calculated for a set of 205/50R17 XL Michelin X-Ice Xi2.

I believe Costco sells them for CAN$230 each + Tax.

Here is the breakdown from Tirerack (prices are in USD):

$132 per tire

UPS Standard shipping - $113.14
    GST - $30.55
    Duty - $36.96
    Tire tax - $16
    Brokerage - $30

Total is $754.65. Let's say a 10% exchange rate would make this around CAN$825.

Costco total = $230x4 + $16 + 5% gst = $982.80

The difference is about CAN$157 or roughly 16%. I can't remember if Costco includes install and balance for that price or if it is extra. The other nice thing about costco is that you get free tire rotation and flat repair ($20-25 each repair value).

I'm not sure if these services are offered by Tunerworks or not. The real advantage of using tirerack is if you picking them up yourself to avoid the shipping and brokerage. Anyways, do your homework and then decide if it's worth it to buy out of country vs local.

Originally posted by Tuner1

Gee, finally someone with some long-term thinking.

I wonder if supporting local businesses is a good idea

Does anyone ever stop to think where their hard-earned Canadian dollars end up when they buy "mail order" from another country?

I have never seen Tire Rack beat our prices by more than 10% and often we can meet or beat their prices. Not to mention the products carry a local warranty and can be installed and serviced by the same people you buy the products from. What a novel idea

Rob
    Unfortunately I've almost never found local tire shopping to be cost effective. For example, I had to buy new winter tires for my dad - lowest local price I found was 1250 mounted&balanced&whatnot. I bought them from tirerack for $740 (total; ship/gst/etc...), and paid $100 to get the mounted and balanced. That's like a 40% savings.

Or another example, I bought 4 kumho xs tires
    2x 355/30/19
    2x 275/35/18

The total was $1450CDN (including ship/gst/etc....)

I see on your website you carry (or can get) Kumho tires - could you meet or beat $1450CDN total for the 4tires i listed above?

My Ride

Except at costco, this time of year, you have to line up at 6 am to get served. Costco is great if you don't value your own time.

I've gotten a couple of quotes on tires from some sponsors, and one sponsor came in within 5% of the tirerack price for a set of wheels/tires, and I wouldn't have to wait for November to get them either...

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

I just saved nearly $1000 buying tires from Ebay, (seller east coast tire) and picking them up in WA state.

There isn't a local shop that can provide such amazing service that I would voluntarily spend $1000 more on that kind of purchase.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    ninja 636 + stealth rt

rumor has it that if you communicate with them and get them to mark it as a 'gift' when coming over the border you won't get stuck with the cod charges. i've never tried this tho, so i'm not sure if it works... might be worth checkin out tho... or maybe someone else knows the scoop on it?