Quantcast
CV Axle repair - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: CV Axle repair

My Ride
    2004 Volvo XC90

Default CV Axle repair

I need CV Axles replaced on my Volvo S70, 1998
    I bought the parts hoping I can do it myself but it turns out it needs some special tools that I do not have.

Where can I go to get the job done and have the parts I bought installed? And I am not looking to spend a fortune.

I am in Calgary.

Thanks

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Just about anywhere should be able to do them for an hour labour, unless there's some stupid design that makes them a pain to do. That's if it's one pair, not two. I don't know if S70s came AWD.

My Ride
    2004 Volvo XC90

Originally posted by Sentry
    Just about anywhere should be able to do them for an hour labour, unless there's some stupid design that makes them a pain to do. That's if it's one pair, not two. I don't know if S70s came AWD.
    It is FWD. I need both replaced - driver-side and passenger side.

I've done a few CV joints for others and myself.
    Do you have pictures or the shop manual so I can take a look at what I'm getting into?
    What special tool is required or what does the tool do? I've never worked on a Volvo so I just want to know what's involved before I quote a price and say I can finish it.

My Ride
    2004 Volvo XC90

Originally posted by mr2mike
    I've done a few CV joints for others and myself.
    Do you have pictures or the shop manual so I can take a look at what I'm getting into?
    What special tool is required or what does the tool do? I've never worked on a Volvo so I just want to know what's involved before I quote a price and say I can finish it.
    I have a manual but haven't looked if it has a picture. Must have I think. The special tool is called "fork" and it is used to remove the ball joint. Look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61qOjemsv94

I managed to unscrew the retaining nut but was unable to take out the pinch bolt. It was stuck. I am not sure if you have to unscrew it or just to use a hammer to teke it ot. I tried to unscrew it but it was stuck and when I applied too much force the cap of the bolt get damaged. I already ordered the bolt and the retaining nut from the dealership. They will have it in few days.

As I understand you have to take out the pinch bolt in order to use the fork and disconnect the ball joint.

Here's the tool:

AutoValue sells them for like $17

There's also a c clip that is holding the joint on. You need to spread it apart and get it out of the channel it's sitting in. There's c clip spreaders or use some flat screwdrivers. I suggest safety glasses as they can take off on you with decent force. Take this off before you start hammering or using the fork. This could be holding you back.

Good reference if you're doing the cv joint and not the whole axle
    http://www.rovermechanic.com/rr/Driv...int/index.html

Let me know and I could come take a look and probably take it on.

My Ride
    2004 Volvo XC90

Originally posted by mr2mike
    Here's the tool:

AutoValue sells them for like $17

There's also a c clip that is holding the joint on. You need to spread it apart and get it out of the channel it's sitting in. There's c clip spreaders or use some flat screwdrivers. I suggest safety glasses as they can take off on you with decent force. Take this off before you start hammering or using the fork. This could be holding you back.

Good reference if you're doing the cv joint and not the whole axle
    http://www.rovermechanic.com/rr/Driv...int/index.html

Let me know and I could come take a look and probably take it on.
    Thank you for the information. I still think I will not be able to do it myself. What is holding me back is the pintch bolt. I have no idea how to remove it and it has to be done first before disconnection the ball joint.

I have the entire axle. Read somewhere it is easier and wiser to replace the entire thing than just the cv joint.

If you are willing to take a look give me a call at 403-667-1971. I am ready to pay if the price is reasonble.

My Ride
    2004 Volvo XC90

Angry update

I think I should share my experience here. The good news is I have the CV Axle assembly replaced and my car is drivable again.
    The bad news is that there are crappy businesses out there that you should be aware of. For your own good stay away from
    Crowfoot Brake and Muffler in Calgary. I will tell you why.

The story begins several months ago when I went to get the front rotors and pads replaced. There was a cracking sound from
    the front wheels when making sharp turns. I asked the guy to have a look and he told me the CV boots were torn and that
    with the time it leads to damage to the joints. He told me it will cost about $750 (parts + labor) to get this fixed.

At this time I was not ready to spend that kind of money. I took the time to do a research. I checked with the Volvo dealership first.
    When I heard their price I could not believe it. There were asking $1300 only for the parts. These were genuine Volvo parts.
    Went online, found aftermarket CV Axle for $56 US. The problem was that I needed a US shipping address. You could get one from
    www.bongous.com Still you need to pay for shipping, customs duty, etc. Then found www.fcpgroton.com They ship to Canada.
    The price for the axle was 79.99. Bought two - driver-side and passenger-side and some seals. Placed the order. Parts arrived.

I decided I can do the job myself. Now I have to admit it is not as easy as it looks in the YouTube videos ) especially if you do not
    have the right tools and equipment.

I lifted the car, removed the tire, the axle nut. Then there is ball joint that you need to disconnect. There is a pinch bolt
    that have to be removed first. I could not do it. It was stuck and I did not have a good angle and space to use the hammer to
    get ot out. I guess when the car is lifted at the repair shop and you can stand underneath it makes a big difference.
    What I had at home was the jack that comes with the car and two stands.

After hour or two I had the shaft off the transmission but the other end was still connected to the wheel and I could not get
    this bolt out. Finally realized I will need help to get this done.

On the next day I placed some phone calls to get price quotes for the CV Axles replaced. These are the results:

1. Alvin Automotive - $265 + tax
    2. Accurate Transmission Ltd - $250 + extra for seal and oil
    3. Minit Tune & Brake Auto Care Centres - Do not install customer parts
    4. Crowfoot Brake and Muffler (Cars Inc.) - $198 (this includes the tax)
    5. Hawkwood Auto Service - $168 + tax

Here is a pictures of my notes:

Hawkwood had the best price but I had to wait 3 days until they had opening. Crowfoot Brake & Muffler could see the car the next day.
    On the next morning I called AMA. They sent a tow track which took my car to Crowfoot Brake & Muffler. The tow track did not cost me anything
    since it was under 5 km from my place to the repair shop. The driver of the truck was really nice guy. Wished me a good day and we shook hands.

All the parts were in the trunk of the car. Nobody bothered to have a look if I had the correct parts. They took the car key and told me
    they would call after they have a look to tell me the final price that I have to pay. I left and went to work.
    Nobody called me and in the early afternoon I called them. Was told the car was ready and they were going to take it for a road test.
    Not a word about the price. Maybe two hour later they called to tell I can pickup the car.

When I arrived I was given a bill for more than $500 !!! The originasl quote was for $198 including tax. I refused to pay and asked for
    explanations. The guy (James) was telling me bulshit like that when I removed the CV shaft from transmission I have removed something that
    was not supposed to be removed. That they charged me additional $65 for removing the pinch bolt because it was too hard. I checked with Volvo
    when I bought new bolts that there is no thread in the metal part the bolt goes through. You just need to unscrew the nut and pull out
    the bolt using hammer. Nothing special. They charged me additionally for installing the seals. According them replacing the CV Axle does not
    mean that you have to replace the seals necessarily. It could be true, I do not know.

James showed me a book according which replacement of a CV shaft is 1.2 hour + 0.3 for the seal. For both side it is total of 3 hours.
    I asked how much they charge per hour and he replied $110. I asked to see it in writing somewhere and he told me they do not have it.
    I really doubt this could be the ratge for a neighbourhood repair shop. He could not explain why they did not give me a call to inform me
    it would cost more than 2 times the original quote while in the same time they told they will call. I showed the quotes from the other places
    and told their price was ridiculus. I refused to pay.

At this point he realized he could not play games with me. He asked me how much I think I should pay. I agreed to pay the highest quote ($265)
    knowing that they might really have some troubles with this pinch bolt and that they installed the seals. He tried to make me pay the extra $65
    for the pinch bolt. I refused. At the end I paid $265 + extra for shop supplies and oil. Here are the details:

They tried to make me pay more than $200 more than I actually payed. You can see that there is no indication on how many hours they charge me
    on the invoice neither how much per hour. I am certain I am not going back there. They lost me as a customer forever and I will make sure
    my friends know to stay away from Crowfoot Brake & Muffler.
    Last edited by anichin; 10-01-2009 at 12:45 AM.