Quantcast
Ever have your windshield smashed by debris from another vehicle? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Ever have your windshield smashed by debris from another vehicle?

My Ride
    my wife's stress level

Default Ever have your windshield smashed by debris from another vehicle?

Driving to work early this morning something came from a dump truck and put a fist sized smash into my windshield.

I understand Alberta is horrible for windshields, I've received tons of chips and cracks over the years and you live with it, but this sucker smashed it. I almost got out of the way but it managed to hit on the far passenger side.

I got all in the info from the truck, anyone have much success in getting their windshield replaced under similar circumstances? I'm just waiting till lunchtime to call.

Might be chasing a dead end but I'll give it a try...

My Ride
    Axis powers

i got hit with a pipe from a rig truck, i wasn't able to get him to pull over so i was SOL
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    my wife's stress level

It was stamped with City Of Calgary so I don't know if that helps my case or not.

Originally posted by lbrowne
    It was stamped with City Of Calgary so I don't know if that helps my case or not.
    it should help. since it is the city they should cooperate. if not threaten to take your situation to the media

My Ride
    Audi

From what I have been told (take this with a grain of salt), if it comes off of the truck, it is considered an 'unsecured load' and they can be found liable for it. If it was kicked up from something that was on the road, you are SOL.

I don't think it'd hurt to try and get the city to pay for damages if it came off of a city truck.

My Ride
    Reeks of Awesomeness

My windshield got nailed with a boulder from a truck going the other way a few weeks ago... sadly I did not get a plate or anything.

If it was kicked up from the road your SOL.
    If it dropped from the truck. (this included dirt dropped from the undercarrage) then get the licence plate number, if you aren't about to contact the company the truck works for you can contact the CPS and they'll get the info though an accident report. much like a hit and run.

i've had this happen a couple friends. most often The truck companies will pay for the windshield no questions asked, just cuz they don't need the publicity for it or they may be trying to avoid the 250,000$ for failing to keep a vehicle free from removable debris.

Last summer Lafarge was hit with the 250,000$ fine b/c one of their cement trucks carried a LOT of mud from a work site onto the road.
    Last edited by syritis; 09-30-2009 at 11:29 AM.
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    2008 UA7

^ holy crap thats brutal! I've had big cracks/chips but nothing like that!
    1998 Honda Civic SI *totalled*
    2000 Honda Prelude *sold*
    2004 Acura TSX *sold*
    2004 Honda S2000 *sold*
    2008 Acura TL Type S *current daily*
    2015 KTM RC390 *current daily*

My Ride
    Reeks of Awesomeness

ya... it was a god damn boulder man. It was on Mcknight and Edmonton Trail... he was going west and i was going east... couldn't get a plate or company or anything as I threw my hands up to protect my face! hahah.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by wardpr68
    My windshield got nailed with a boulder from a truck going the other way a few weeks ago... sadly I did not get a plate or anything.

This is EXACTLY what happened to the windshield on my Caddy 2 weeks ago.

Driving on deerfoot, a truck going the opposite direction spat a huge boulder, smoked my windshield wiper then my windshield and did that exact thing.

Thankfully it just took a chunk out of the wiper (doesn't need to be replaced), but cost me 350 bucks to replace the windshield (which i already replaced a month before) lol
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    my wife's stress level

Thanks for the help fellas, the picture posted in this thread is like mine except it's smashed right to the point of contact of the debris. So it's spiderwebbed all the way through.

My Ride
    my wife's stress level

The lady at 311 was a great help. Took all my info and details of what happened.

Now we'll see what happens when the claims person calls me within 1 business day as she indicated.

So far so good....

Makes one wonder what a person on a motorcycle deals with, I avoid the Deerfoot at all costs. Not worth the risk.

Nail these trucks, we are tired of the windshield replacement costs.

Originally posted by syritis
    If it was kicked up from the road your SOL.
    If it dropped from the truck. (this included dirt dropped from the undercarrage) then get the licence plate number, if you aren't about to contact the company the truck works for you can contact the CPS and they'll get the info though an accident report. much like a hit and run.

i've had this happen a couple friends. most often The truck companies will pay for the windshield no questions asked, just cuz they don't need the publicity for it or they may be trying to avoid the 250,000$ for failing to keep a vehicle free from removable debris.

Last summer Lafarge was hit with the 250,000$ fine b/c one of their cement trucks carried a LOT of mud from a work site onto the road.
    where did you get 250,000$? i know an unsecured load ticket is only about ~500$,

so i would think that the cement truck had a diff type ticket dealing with getting city property dirty and then being forced to clean it..possibly?
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

it's not the same ticket as an unsecured load. it's a bylaw that affects only commercial vehicles.

This was just well noted in the industry b/c it's rare that it ever gets enforced and never before had anyone received the full fine as far as i know.
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by HondaKid
    Makes one wonder what a person on a motorcycle deals with, I avoid the Deerfoot at all costs. Not worth the risk.

Nail these trucks, we are tired of the windshield replacement costs.

Dont drive behind gravel trucks on a bike

It's usually not that bad, but if u are on the highway u can usually feel rocks hitting ur ankles..
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Originally posted by chkolny541

where did you get 250,000$? i know an unsecured load ticket is only about ~500$,

so i would think that the cement truck had a diff type ticket dealing with getting city property dirty and then being forced to clean it..possibly?

The bylaw that he's referring to has to do with erosion control. It's been in place for a few years now. It has to do with mud/dirt being dragged onto the streets and then being washed down the storm sewers and plugging them up with sediment. I do have to agree though - $250,000 doesn't sound right.

I took something in the windshield a few weeks ago on Deerfoot. Similar in size as the picture, but near the top of the windshield behind the rearview mirror. It's only a half circle as it just caught near the edge of the windshield.
    Last edited by frozenrice; 09-30-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

Originally posted by frozenrice

The bylaw that he's referring to has to do with erosion control. It's been in place for a few years now. It has to do with mud/dirt being dragged onto the streets and then being washed down the storm sewers and plugging them up with sediment. I do have to agree though - $250,000 doesn't sound right.
    yea thats what i was kinda thinking along the lines of, which in this case would be completely relevant to the OP so it had no point of ever being brought up, haha
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Had this happen to me with a company in town, I won't mention names (Hazco). I chased down several individuals for weeks at the company, mostly because we wer poor at the time and couldn't really afford unexpected expenses, and my wife was driving alone and she was 7 months pregnant. They did nothing. I finally dropped it and paid the $250 for a new windshield. I used Cal-Alta Autoglass, they did a great job and were a 1/3 the price of a stealership.

good luck.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Last edited by J NRG; 10-21-2009 at 02:28 AM.
    Beyond
    belief
    reason
    but not beyond puberty.