Quantcast
Winnipeg........again - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Winnipeg........again

My Ride
    jdm b18c

Default Winnipeg........again

Two teenagers who conspired to kill staff, students and employees at three Winnipeg schools and a church pleaded guilty Tuesday to conspiring to commit murder.

The two, a male and a female, were 17 when they were charged by Winnipeg police in January and cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

They both turned 18 while in custody.

Lorette Collegiate, Fort Richmond Collegiate, the University of Manitoba and Church of the Rock were the targets of the plot, according to court documents.

The teens were charged with four counts of murder conspiracy. They pleaded guilty only to the count relating to Fort Richmond Collegiate as part of a plea deal reached some time ago, but only revealed publicly Tuesday, court transcripts show.

Crown attorney Susan Baragar told Judge Wanda Garreck the entire plan will come out at a sentencing hearing at a later date.

"There really was one plan, and that one plan did include other places. So at the time of sentencing, the whole plan will be before the court in terms of the statement of facts that's presented," Baragar said.

Police previously said the conspiracy was past the planning stage and would have involved the use of four rifles and ammunition to attack four Winnipeg locations.

Const. Jacqueline Chaput said at the time the plan was to kill at random as many people as possible, including students, adults, church parishioners and "pretty much anyone who was going to get in their way."

The boy was arrested at a Winnipeg psychiatric ward after his father phoned police to inform them of the conspiracy.

No word on punishment

Police said they found firearms stolen from a Portage la Prairie home in a Waverley Heights home last November. The home was where the boy lived with his mother.

But in Tuesday's hearing, the Crown stayed all weapons-related and break-and-enter charges as part of the plea deal.

The Crown has said it will seek adult sentences with the consent of the teens' defence lawyers and their parents.

Speaking for the male, defence lawyer Greg Brodsky said he understands the gravity of the deal that has been reached.

"He understands the significance ... and his plea is one he has consulted on with me extensively," Brodsky said.

Jeff Ginden, lawyer for the female, said she also knows she's giving up her right to a trial.

Other than to say "yes, ma'am," to the judge's questions as they pleaded guilty, they both remained silent during the hearing.

But Baragar told CBC News she won't reveal in advance how much jail time prosecutors are seeking.

"As it will be a joint recommendation I don't think it should be published until the court has heard it," Baragar said in an email.

Neither of the two has a prior criminal record, but the female is facing a criminal mischief charge stemming from an incident at the Manitoba Youth Centre earlier this year, when she was charged by police as an adult.

The next step will be a hearing to determine where the two will serve their sentences. The procedure is mandatory under Canadian youth justice laws.

It's possible they could remain in a youth facility if they're not going to be housed there past age 20.

Their next court date will be Oct. 7 at the Manitoba Youth Centre, to get an update on the progress of a report to determine where they'll be incarcerated.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/c...entid=21972969
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Classy joint

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

It's funny that I only hear Winnipeg news from Beyond and not at work or anywhere else.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

winnipeg, the new shithole of the country.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Originally posted by spikers
    NEW??

Hasn't it always been?

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

The two, a male and a female, were 17 when they were charged by Winnipeg police in January and cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

They both turned 18 while in custody.
    Bullshit. Release the fucking names.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

My Ride
    93 integra

Originally posted by Jlude
    It's funny that I only hear Winnipeg news from Beyond and not at work or anywhere else.
    start reading the papers then. I've read plenty about Winnipeg lately...And none of it good.

Default Re: Winnipeg........again

Originally posted by top_speed
    The Crown has said it will seek adult sentences with the consent of the teens' defence lawyers and their parents.
    Why does the Crown need consent?

I guess everyone here has already forgotten the name Jason Lang.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Default Re: Re: Winnipeg........again

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Why does the Crown need consent?
    “The two, a male and a female, were 17 when they were charged by Winnipeg police in January and cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.”

It seems sentencing is determined from time of arrest, not time of prosecution. Mind you Lawyers and Judges and bend the rules here and there.

Originally posted by spikers

Always has been, always will be. I lived there for a short period of time and didn't like it at all. I even lived in a good neighborhood! In 3 months, my GF and I were: threatened twice, knife pulled once, and witnessed one robbery. I hate to mention, but all incidences involved people from the First Nations.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    has three pedals.

What a nice 18th. in jail.

Default Re: Re: Re: Winnipeg........again

Originally posted by Tomaz
    Always has been, always will be. I lived there for a short period of time and didn't like it at all. I even lived in a good neighborhood! In 3 months, my GF and I were: threatened twice, knife pulled once, and witnessed one robbery. I hate to mention, but all incidences involved people from the First Nations.
    Which nice neighbourhood was that in?

My Ride
    '19 GTI

I go to winnipeg yearly, and that is the only place I've ever been threatened to be 'jumped'. Scary shit downtown. But in the nice areas, or if you go to the suburbs, its a nice area.

My Ride

Ah Winnipeg, the Asshole of the prairies

Originally posted by swak
    I go to winnipeg yearly, and that is the only place I've ever been threatened to be 'jumped'. Scary shit downtown. But in the nice areas, or if you go to the suburbs, its a nice area.
    I lived in Winnipeg for 22+ years. I go back several times a year. I had never been jumped, stabbed or even been in a fight with someone I didn't know.

Either you guys are pussies or you are are stirring shit up with people to get yourselves into trouble. Seriously. The way some of you guys are talking one might think that just walking down the street will get you stabbed.

Let me guess. You guys are also scared of walking around in the NE because of the EIs that live in the area.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Winnipeg........again

Originally posted by sputnik

Which nice neighbourhood was that in?
    St. Norbert.

Just to note, I am not one to "start shit" (minus that one time at the beyond meet with the Supra driver that suffered from penis envy lol).
    Beyond's Most Wanted

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Winnipeg........again

St. Norbert.

Just to note, I am not one to "start shit" (minus that one time at the beyond meet with the Supra driver that suffered from penis envy lol).
    Now I know you are exaggerating.

Getting jumped by Indians in St. Norbert?

That's about as likely as getting jumped by a crackhead in McKenzie Towne.

How is it, that I can live there for decades without a problem and you have all of those incidents inside 3 months in the neighbourhood in the furthest southern portion of the city?

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Winnipeg........again

Originally posted by sputnik

Now I know you are exaggerating.

Getting jumped by Indians in St. Norbert?

That's about as likely as getting jumped by a crackhead in McKenzie Towne.

How is it, that I can live there for decades without a problem and you have all of those incidents inside 3 months in the neighbourhood in the furthest southern portion of the city?
    If it makes you feel better, the knife incident happened outside the YMCA on Portage.

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all. My house got flooded out that spring. Out of the 15 houses on my street, my house and the guy across the street got flooded. I was cursed while living there! lol

I tried living in St. Boniface and had the military training on the street and back alley everyday. So fuck it, I was happy to move outta there when I did. lol

Like I said, cursed.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Winnipeg........again

If it makes you feel better, the knife incident happened outside the YMCA on Portage.

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all. My house got flooded out that spring. Out of the 15 houses on my street, my house and the guy across the street got flooded. I was cursed while living there! lol

I tried living in St. Boniface and had the military training on the street and back alley everyday. So fuck it, I was happy to move outta there when I did. lol

Like I said, cursed.
    So it's just you and not the city.

Military training in St. Boniface? WTF?

My Ride
    '19 GTI

I think it has somethibg to do with being in the wrong place àþ the wrong time, it could happen in calgary but its never happened, and I go downtown on a very regular basis(work and rec.)
    This was on Portage and Albert.

take a drive north up main street. There's nothing even close in calgary to being as run down as that, and its a pretty major road too.

But for an amazing breakfast go to 'the eye opener' just south of the ring road on main street.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast