Quantcast
McLaren MP4-12C - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: McLaren MP4-12C

My Ride
    Exploded.

Default McLaren MP4-12C

I think the Italia will have some competition once this thing goes into production.

The MP4-12C is built around an extremely light and rigid carbon fiber tub. But rather than the heavier multi-piece tubs used by its competitors and predecessors, the MP4's is made from a single piece, weighing a spritely 176 pounds). The body panels are all carbon fiber and composites, making the new McLaren more expensive to build than its competitors and resulting in an expected £160,000 ($265k) price tag – higher than either the new Ferrari 458 Italia or the Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4, but lighter in weight, too.

Behind the tub sits a twin-turbo 3.8-liter V8 engine producing around 600 horsepower and 433 lb-ft of torque, offering what McLaren claims is the highest horsepower to CO2 ratio of any internal combustion engine on the market – gasoline, diesel or even hybrid.

While you might have expected carbon ceramic brakes to keep all that power and speed in check, McLaren says its conventional discs actually weigh less. They're aided by a Brake Steer system that brakes the inside rear wheel to combat understeer. But the real trick system is in the seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, where Pre-Cog lets the driver load up the next gear by half-squeezing the paddle and then engaging with gunshot speed.

With the new MP4-12C, McLaren's betting the economy will bounce back soon. It's planning on building 1000 units in 2011, a quarter of which will go each to the domestic UK market and over here to the United States. The C designation also suggests that they're planning a roadster version to join the coupe. But for now, we'll just enjoy this first batch of images in the gallery below and peruse the lengthy press release after the jump.

Not sure any prospective F458 owners will seriously factor this car into their decision. Especially for for Calgary guys, where would the MP4 be serviced? It will be interesting to see how McLaren sets up a network for that stuff.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Wow - that's a small V8.

I dunno. Besides the servicing which could potentially be problematic (especially here in Canada), I think I'd love one. That kind of power on a lightweight chassis and knockout looks is a combination that is tough to beat...

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Its an interesting car, I don't really like the look of it though. Maybe it will grow on me. It looks better than the 458 though I think.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by persiancarpet
    Not sure any prospective F458 owners will seriously factor this car into their decision. Especially for for Calgary guys, where would the MP4 be serviced? It will be interesting to see how McLaren sets up a network for that stuff.
    Ferrari owners have had ferrari's here without dealership support for a long time until recently. It's not a huge issue shipping a car out for service.

Depending on the MB/McLaren relationship, we could see MB dealerships able to service them with techs trained at McLaren.

I think this car's gonna kill the Ferrari when they both appear on Top Gear. McLaren's goal is to beat Ferrari in this segment, and the car was designed to beat the 430/458.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by A2VR6
    More info:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...p;pagenumber=1
    Sorry about repost! But yeah, this is probably the car that'll give Ferrari a run for its money.

Servicing shouldn't be a problem and since they're with MB, as rage2 mentioned, there could be a deal that can be accomplished.