Quantcast
Good Areas in and around Calgary - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Good Areas in and around Calgary

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by Isaiah

If you think it would take longer to get to the north end you're delusional.

Originally posted by masoncgy

I've done it before, and many times too (though you can't technically follow Centre St all the way north = bus trap)... 144 Ave N vs 194 Ave S... that's a 50 city block difference.

Have you ever even looked at a map of Calgary before?
    I can get out of Calgary faster from downtown going south, than going north. I'm aware of the "extra 50 blocks", It's the travel time and access I'm talking about, guy.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

Deerfoot also backs up end of business day going north starting at 4. South doesn't really back up till after 5 and not nearly as bad.

My Ride
    2012 300C SRT8 /2015 F150 Platinum

Default Re: Re: Good Areas in and around Calgary

Originally posted by barmanjay

Your price range is quite broad, but the range you have is a good one.
    There is a plethora of homes available all throughout the city; new in new communitied; old in established communities.

will what you do for work determine where in the city you need to be?
    does transportation to DT or schools need to be part of your criteria? looking for mountain views? maybe in a valley? close to farmland? do you like the urban night life and need to be close to it?

I could take you for a tour of the areas during a weekend.

btw: I live in citadel and probably be here for a very long time. we love it here. We've lived all over, NE, SW and so far we think the NW feels the most comfortable and friendly. I lived in citadel before and when the opportunity came up to move back in a better part of my old neighbourhood, we jumped at it without hesitation..
    I would like to think where I'll be working won't affect my decision on location too much, but there is no job awaiting my arrival currently, and would have to cross that bridge when I get there, I guess.

Need to be within a couple walking minutes to a bus stop. Close to an elementary school would be ideal.

Mountain views and / or Valley would be great. Not a necessity, but really any view (front or back) other than a neighbours house would be a nice change.

No need for proximity to urban night life and would prefer an area not congested with retirees but more so a young family setting.

I generally lean towards newer houses and wish they were on older lots, as I need a decent sized back yard and Rv parking is a plus but could store it somewhere else if it came down to it. I'm not dead set on new or old, but if it is older, it would need to be semi updated.

Barman, I will take you up on your offer if this is the way we're going to go. Wife finishes school in April down here and wants out of here bad. I need to land a job paying me the same kind of dough before we leave, but I won't have to wait on the sale of my house down here to buy one in Calgary.

I'll also check out the citadel area on Mls. I would like being able to head west with my travel trailer each long weekend, so the west side seems like the right area for now.
    2014 Jeep SRT, 2015 F150 Platinum , 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG

[Do][---+---][oD]

Originally posted by CUG
    I can get out of Calgary faster from downtown going south, than going north. I'm aware of the "extra 50 blocks", It's the travel time and access I'm talking about, guy.
    Sorry dude, but one can escape from downtown Calgary via Deerfoot North and exit the city quicker than if one was to take Macleod South (or Deerfoot South) from the same location. Rush hour or not, the northern boundary is substantially closer to the core than the southern boundary is... that's why I keep saying 50 city blocks difference... takes time to cover that much distance.

No one drives straight up Centre St to exit the north end of the city anyway... that's what Deerfoot is for.

That's why SW Calgary sucks... it has no proper access and the traffic sucks. At least the SE side has Deerfoot to rely on, even though it plugs up big time too.

Originally posted by scortracer
    Deerfoot also backs up end of business day going north starting at 4. South doesn't really back up till after 5 and not nearly as bad.
    hahaha. They both back up at the same time. You make it sound like people who live in the North work at an earlier hour than people in South or something... lol.

The difference is that the distance of Deerfoot North from Memorial to the north city limit is far shorter than Deerfoot South from Memorial to the south city limit... by quite a margin, too. Therefore, traffic backups on Deerfoot North 'appear' to be heavier than Deerfoot South, but really, both suffer from major congestion.

My Ride
    Busa

Originally posted by CUG

Not a chance. The commute is quite a bit shorter coming from up north than down south. I lived in Panorama for 2 years, then moved to Chaparral for 1 year, and now I have moved back to the north in Kincora.

Coming from the south, the commute is about 30-45 minutes to downtown during rush hour on MacLeod (longer on deerfoot). Coming from the north, the commute is about 25 minutes to downtown during rush hour on Centre St. I have been taking centre for a while, because the construction on beddington makes that way slower, but once it is completed the commute will be about 5 minutes faster using that route.

Additionally, outside of rush hour, the commute on deerfoot from the south is about 25 minutes on deerfoot (35 minutes on macleod due to lights out synchronization), and from the north I do it in 15-20 minutes on deerfoot.

Pull up any map and you will see how far the south sprawls out of calgary in comparison to the north. Also, the traffic never gets choked into 2 lanes going north, like it does going south at the bow bottom & anderson exit.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Re: Re: Good Areas in and around Calgary

Originally posted by jonnycat

No need for proximity to urban night life and would prefer an area not congested with retirees but more so a young family setting.
    Skip Fairview, you could remodel an awesome house with that cost, and it's close to everything (south, and downtown), but christ I feel like I'm living in a retirement community

(5 out of 9 houses in my cul-de-sac are original owners from 1959)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Last edited by ChappedLips; 11-28-2009 at 12:36 AM.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by ChappedLips
    Springbank
    i'm pretty sure the OP is not bret hart / multimillionaire
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    2011 Ford Flex SEL

I am building in Chaparral valley, It is going to be a very nice area
    http://www.westernsubaruclub.ca

Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
    Pull up any map and you will see how far the south sprawls out of calgary in comparison to the north. Also, the traffic never gets choked into 2 lanes going north, like it does going south at the bow bottom & anderson exit.
    Exactly, and now that Deerfoot southbound is getting expanded from Beddington Trail to McKnight, that will decrease the morning commute time.

Couple that with the opening of the north half of the ring road and it will be even better... the ring road won't take a huge amount of traffic off Deerfoot North, but it will still have some impact.

I just wish they would fix the bottleneck during the PM commute, at Mcknight Blvd where it slims from 4 lanes to 3... if that was a 4 lane right through to Beddington Trail, there would be almost no backups at all on NB Deerfoot.

My Ride
    2010 G37x

Originally posted by zipdoa

I thought Bret Hart lives in Dalhousie. West of 53rd.

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

Originally posted by zipdoa

there are houses that are in the op's price range in springbank
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

Mleh I still prefer living out of town. There are a lot of nice towns on the out skirts where travel isn't that bad, and honestly the communities are a lot better. Chestermere, Okotoks, Langdon, cochrane, etc.

I personally love Langdon because as said you get a nice large house, upper scale estate community, 9000 SQ FOOT lots, most of the houses are triple garage and the prices are the same or less than Calgary and it's 10 mins from Calgary. It has connectors on both glenmore TR and 22X.

I live in Sherwood. With recently opened Beacon Hills Shopping Center and Stoney Trail, it's actual quite convenient for a new neighbourhood.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by CUG

lets try this again, going north from memorial on deerfoot or going south from memorial on deerfoot.... i wonder which one takes longer/travels a greater distance. (as suggested)

Here i'll map it for you.

Memorial northbond to country hills : 12.8 km – about 7 mins
    http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...,0.308647&z=12

Memorial southbond to 22X : 29.1 km – about 19 mins

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...,0.308647&z=12

kthxbye

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by Takemetoothemoo
    I am building in Chaparral valley, It is going to be a very nice area
    What have they been telling you about that Blue Devil golf course?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

lets try this again, going north from memorial on deerfoot or going south from memorial on deerfoot.... i wonder which one takes longer/travels a greater distance. (as suggested)

Here i'll map it for you.

Memorial northbond to country hills : 12.8 km – about 7 mins
    http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...08647&z=12

Memorial southbond to 22X : 29.1 km – about 19 mins

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...08647&z=12

kthxbye
    Man.. I don't know why you even had to bother doing this, it's bloody obvious that there's way more south than north if someone looks at a map for 10 seconds.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Originally posted by quazimoto
    Mleh I still prefer living out of town. There are a lot of nice towns on the out skirts where travel isn't that bad, and honestly the communities are a lot better. Chestermere, Okotoks, Langdon, cochrane, etc.

I personally love Langdon because as said you get a nice large house, upper scale estate community, 9000 SQ FOOT lots, most of the houses are triple garage and the prices are the same or less than Calgary and it's 10 mins from Calgary. It has connectors on both glenmore TR and 22X.
    Is Langdon cheaper than Okatoks? My friends are looking.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by whodiman

Is Langdon cheaper than Okatoks? My friends are looking.
    Langdon would be cheaper than Okotoks simply because there are no services / amenities in Langdon where as Okotoks is completely self contained.

FWIW, I wish I could've convinced the wife to move to Langdon. I love the area.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Honestly I would say langdon is the best betwen chestermere, strathmore, okotoks, airdrie etc. They are right, your ammenities are few, but the ones that are here are quite nice.

It is a total small town feeling and the community we built in, boulder creek, has a nice mixture of younger couples with some older retirees. Needless to say we simply love it.

The homes are not your typical cookie cutter front garage style home which quite frankly just have no personality. All the houses feature front verandas with side mounted garages, most of which FYI are triple and some lots can fit quad garages.

The lot we built on is around 9,200 SQ FT compared to the typical 4,700-5,000 SQ FT lot in Calgary for the same price if not less. It's also an estate community so the homes are for the most part much larger. The smallest homes you'll find are 1700-1800 SQ FT bungalows and some of the two stories go upwards of nearly 4,000 SQ FT.

The community feel, quality of neighbours, etc, are just better than anything I've had in Calgary. People make this big deal how it's out of the city, but it is literally a 10 minute or so drive down glenmore and 15 minutes down to 22x. You can also get into the city on highway 1 which is roughly 15 minutes away as well.

Shopping wise you can get down to 130th ave in 15-20 minutes or go to strathmore just as fast. There are some local shops as well to get certain things.

If you do want to build in the community let me know as the nice beattie referral program can give us both a little cash.

Right now it's probably one of the best values in and around the Calgary area. Also just of note, our drive way can fit 6-8 cars on it. There are many advantages to the community all while having nice connectors to the north, south and somewhat central parts of the city.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast