Quantcast
New Shaw HD PVR - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New Shaw HD PVR

^^ Yeah that's what I'm using, anyone know how to get rid of the drive access noise.

Originally posted by beecue
    ^^ Yeah that's what I'm using, anyone know how to get rid of the drive access noise.
    Can't really do anything about that, because the PVR is constantly recording the live stream to the HDD so you can rewind or pause live TV on demand.

Turn up your sound louder? I have mine recording shows as I'm watching recorded ones, and I don't hear anything. I do have my PVR hooked up to the home theater system and that probably drowns out the hard drive noise.

If you wanna be hardcore, you could wrap the HDD in sound deadening material.
    Last edited by blinkme_210; 11-12-2009 at 01:27 AM.

My Ride
    2010 Toyota Corolla XRS

See I wouldn't go buy that HDD because it is 7200rpm. It is going to be louder when it is running 24/7. If you want to go to memory express I would get a 5400rpm like the expander is from SHaw

For $150 the best bet it to just buy the Shaw expander IMO. The case is dead quiet even with the drive spinning, and you're guaranteed to have no compatibility issues.

Also you can't just buy ANY external drive and make it work, some have power saving features and such that don't work well with the terminal.

If you do find your own solution, I would also suggest a 5400 RPM drive. If the drive is vibrating on your shelf and making noise, try putting some foam under the feet (works well with the old PVR's with the build in drives).
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-12-2009 at 10:40 AM.

My Ride
    2010 Toyota Corolla XRS

I use the expander and it is so quiet

My Ride

so that deal at Futureshop ends today for the new receiver and expander?

The expanders came in today at Deerfoot Meadows FS. I set mine up tonight, It is dead quiet and seems to work well so far.

5hift, they told me Nov 12 was the last day of the sale as far as they knew, it could possibly still be on sale...

My Ride
    Civic, MDX

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I'll take a picture when I get home.

Originally posted by viff3r

Lol sorry about that, I completely forgot. I will put a reminder in my phone to do that for you.

Also, just FYI to everyone, the expander regular advertised price is now $149 (PVR cheaper as well, I think $250). I'll be heading back to best buy for my refund sometime this week for the HD.

Originally posted by viff3r
    Would somebody who is running the new Pace + Shaw 1 TB expander mind taking a photo of their setup? Wondering what it looks like fully set up, and how much space it requires.

Pace box is currently $230 @ BestBuy. Expander is still $200. $430 for 1TB vs. $500 for the old motorola 160GB unit, seems like a good deal to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So, it looks like I left my camera at my parent's house (recently moved, and left some stuff there). I have some iPhone pics but I can't post them from work, I don't think. If I'm around at noon I'll try when the internet restrictions are lifted, or just do it when I get home lol.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    So, it looks like I left my camera at my parent's house (recently moved, and left some stuff there). I have some iPhone pics but I can't post them from work, I don't think. If I'm around at noon I'll try when the internet restrictions are lifted, or just do it when I get home lol.
    mobile upload to facebook. or email the pics from your phone to yourself save on your desktop and then upload as an attachment on beyond?

I have the new box and expander. Everything works great except the FF and RW seem to mess up sometimes and don't actually stop where you ask it to but either go ahead or behind by 1 minute.

My Ride
    NC1

My old PVR is pissing me off. I hope I get this new one with the expander for X-mas. I know I can go buy one right now but that's besides the point.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Originally posted by CSMRX7
    I have the new box and expander. Everything works great except the FF and RW seem to mess up sometimes and don't actually stop where you ask it to but either go ahead or behind by 1 minute.
    lol I get the same thing but I almost never use that, I just use the skip and replay buttons. Much easier.

And I took a few pictures of my new pvr but I keep forgetting to take them off the camera. I will try to do it by tomorrow.

And I wasn't really paying attention that the price had dropped since I purchased mine last month, but even Shaw sells the new Pace box for $248.00 and the expander for $150.00 now.

So I just finished phoning them and they are going to credit my next invoice for $100 to compensate for it. I was told they normally price match for 30 days but I was only at 35 days so it wouldn't be a problem. I was all ready to argue and threaten to switch to Telus but the guy was really nice. lol

Originally posted by CSMRX7
    I'm not sure if you know or not but the "skip" button skips forward in 30 sec increments. The pg up/pg down buttons skip forward/backward in 5min increments (good for those long commercials or getting to a certain part in the recording). The regular FF/RW buttons aren't very good IMO unless you need to be very precise.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

^ if he is having the same problem I am then it is the FF/RW buttons. You can watch it fast forwarding and then when you hit the play button it starts playing at a completely different spot. I just noticed it while playing around with it when I first got it but I never actually use the FF/RW buttons.

Originally posted by blownz
    ^ if he is having the same problem I am then it is the FF/RW buttons. You can watch it fast forwarding and then when you hit the play button it starts playing at a completely different spot. I just noticed it while playing around with it when I first got it but I never actually use the FF/RW buttons.
    Interesting, I've never had that issue. Especially in that case then, I would recommend just using the skip buttons.

Went to BestBuy this weekend and got my $50 back for the expander. After everything it turns out to be a pretty good deal. Now that I have my camera, here are the (extremely late) pics requested, with a can of beer for reference haha:

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast