Quantcast
New Shaw HD PVR - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New Shaw HD PVR

Originally posted by blownz
    I finally set up my new pace box with the 1TB drive last night. Everything seems to work great. The expander was as simple as pluging it in and saying 'yes' to format the drive. Took about a minute or two and it was ready to record.

One issue I had and for anyone using the new pace box with a harmony remote, Logitech didn't seem to like the model number DC758D. It wanted me to have the remote learn every button (way too much work). So since the remote didn't change I just put in Shaws old pace model and it worked perfectly.

Oh, and I would recommend buying the box direct from Shaw over say Best Buy because when I was there they offered me free HBO, Movie Central, and Superchannel until Dec 7th. And all in HD (they charge $32 a month for that normally). So it should give me a good chance to use some of that HDD space.

I was pretty sure everyone got that when they activated the box. Free movie channels+HD plus for 2 months. Regardless of where you purchased.

My Ride
    Gas guzzler!

I swapped out my drive in the Pace 775D for a 1tb drive, works like a charm!

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Originally posted by sneek

I was pretty sure everyone got that when they activated the box. Free movie channels+HD plus for 2 months. Regardless of where you purchased.
    Maybe, I remember also getting something like that when I purchased my first box, but this was just a second pvr for me. No change to my account (which already had HD plus) so I didn't expect any extras.

If that is the case though, then I guess it makes no difference.

So how is the new pace box? Lightyears ahead of the DCT6416?

My Ride
    Civic, MDX

Would somebody who is running the new Pace + Shaw 1 TB expander mind taking a photo of their setup? Wondering what it looks like fully set up, and how much space it requires.

Pace box is currently $230 @ BestBuy. Expander is still $200. $430 for 1TB vs. $500 for the old motorola 160GB unit, seems like a good deal to me.
    Originally posted by t_soarer
    ....can anyone say "retarted"?
    Originally posted by leftwing
    no more retarted 18 year old girls who fail out.
    Originally posted by benyl
    The english language is retarted...
    Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    Stanced cars look retarted anyways.

Originally posted by viff3r
    Would somebody who is running the new Pace + Shaw 1 TB expander mind taking a photo of their setup? Wondering what it looks like fully set up, and how much space it requires.

Pace box is currently $230 @ BestBuy. Expander is still $200. $430 for 1TB vs. $500 for the old motorola 160GB unit, seems like a good deal to me.
    I'll take a picture when I get home. I love it so far, zero lag, no picture issues, and looks more like high end components than the old box did.

The HD PVR-ready dual tuner box is $299, the regular box is $230. The whole setup with 1TB expander is $500, the same price as the old HD PVR box with the build in 160GB HD.

Shaw gave me 1 month free, next 6 months for half price, and a second free box (non-HD).

My Ride

I was looking at the shaw website and one thing I noticed in fine print was a coming soon followed by a bunch of new motorola models among others.

These pace ones look pretty good, but I would be choked if I dropped 5 bills and something even better came out in a few months.

Does anyone know anything about this?

And Mitsu how did you get that deal? Did you just call them or go to the shaw building?

Originally posted by 5hift
    I was looking at the shaw website and one thing I noticed in fine print was a coming soon followed by a bunch of new motorola models among others.

These pace ones look pretty good, but I would be choked if I dropped 5 bills and something even better came out in a few months.

Does anyone know anything about this?

And Mitsu how did you get that deal? Did you just call them or go to the shaw building?
    I bought the hardware at BestBuy but only because I had a $50 gift certificate there. My GF works for Shaw Direct (the satellite side of things) and she put me on the "VIP" list, but I don't know exactly if that is the reason I got the good deal or not. Some guy just called me up and started offering me deals lol, so I took them. I was also a brand new customer though, so that may have had something to do with it.

Prices dropped on them for the holidays

Expander is now 150 and the box is 250

Good deal if you ask me. It's the same as employee pricing right now.
    Tho they have not updated the website yet

Originally posted by Pihsiak

Dual tuner HD-PVR is now $250? Wow, very good deal. Do I have to goto Shaw directly for this price? or can I just goto bestbuy, etc?

Originally posted by Impreza

Dual tuner HD-PVR is now $250? Wow, very good deal. Do I have to goto Shaw directly for this price? or can I just goto bestbuy, etc?
    No, the dual tuner HD PVR ready box is $230. You still need the expander.

Their website does indeed show the box at $230 but the expander still at $200. Regardless, I'll take my receipt back and try to get credit for the difference. I paid full price.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-06-2009 at 03:48 PM.

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

I have one working with my 3416. I am using a Velocity external drive cage with a seagate 500GB internal drive. I tried it with a 1.5 TB WD green drive and it would not work. I dont know if it was the 5400RPM speed, or the 1.5TB size.

This is what I have tried so far. I am happy with the extra 500GB... if I need more I will try a 1TB HDD.
    Signature..... I ate it!!

My Ride
    2010 Toyota Corolla XRS

I went to best buy on saturday and paid 229 for the digital box and 147 for the 1tb shaw expander. They were on sale for the grand opening for the new store.

Originally posted by Pihsiak

Where did you see this price? I was at Best Buy today and the prices were still $249 and $200. I also checked futureshop.ca and shaw.ca and they showed the old price. I bought the Pace HD receiver, just need the expander now...

My Ride
    2010 Toyota Corolla XRS

Yeah Dude. I paid those prices on Saturday nov 7th at the deerfoot medows best buy. They told me it was on sale for the grandopening of the new store. People were walking out with loads of show digital boxes. Well of course other things too. It was like boxing day sales. HAHAH

Originally posted by needforspeed
    Yeah Dude. I paid those prices on Saturday nov 7th at the deerfoot medows best buy. They told me it was on sale for the grandopening of the new store. People were walking out with loads of show digital boxes. Well of course other things too. It was like boxing day sales. HAHAH
    Damn. I was there Sat. Nov 7th getting my $70 back from the HD box and I had the customer service rep sheck the price of the expander and she said it was still $199. That sucks!

My Ride
    2010 Toyota Corolla XRS

I know. When I went up to pay it came up 199.99. I told her it was on sale for 145 and she checked to make sure.

I'm going to sit on my motorola until a multiroom solution is available.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/10/27...top-a-true-mu/
    Last edited by DayGlow; 11-10-2009 at 05:50 PM.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

Just a heads up, I just got back from Future Shop. The Expander is on sale for $149 and the Pace HD Receiver is $229, tomorrow is the last day. All Future Shops in the city are sold out of the expander until Sunday. I paid for it now to get the sale price and will pick it up on Sunday...

You don't need to buy the Shaw expander. Any eSata external hard drive 1TB or less will work.

Just go to Memory Express and tell them you want this Seagate 1TB External HDD for $117. Go home, plug it in, format and enjoy.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast