Quantcast
Toyota/Lexus recalls 3.8 million vehicles - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota/Lexus recalls 3.8 million vehicles

Default Toyota/Lexus recalls 3.8 million vehicles

Floor mat has potential to get stuck under the accelerator. Some people are killed when they don't know how to deal with the problem and panic.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090929/...ota_floor_mats

WASHINGTON – Toyota Motor Corp. said Tuesday it will recall 3.8 million vehicles in the United States, the company's largest-ever U.S. recall, to address problems with a removable floor mat that could cause accelerators to get stuck and lead to a crash. The recall will involve popular models such as the Toyota Camry, the top-selling passenger car in America, and the Toyota Prius, the best-selling gas-electric hybrid.

Toyota said it was still working with officials with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to find a remedy to fix the problem and said owners could be notified about the recall as early as next week. Toyota spokesman Irv Miller said until the company finds a fix, owners should take out the removable floor mat on the driver's side and not replace it.

"A stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop a vehicle, which could cause a crash, serious injury or death," Miller said.

NHTSA said it had received reports of 102 incidents in which the accelerator may have become stuck on the Toyota vehicles involved. It was unclear how many led to crashes but the inquiry was prompted by a highspeed crash in August in California of a Lexus barreling out of control. As the vehicle hit speeds exceeding 120 mph, family members made a frantic 911 call and said the accelerator was stuck and they couldn't stop the vehicle.

"This is an urgent matter," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in a statement. "For everyone's sake, we strongly urge owners of these vehicles to remove mats or other obstacles that could lead to unintended acceleration."

The recall will affect 2007-2010 model year Toyota Camry, 2005-2010 Toyota Avalon, 2004-2009 Toyota Prius, 2005-2010 Tacoma, 2007-2010 Toyota Tundra, 2007-2010 Lexus ES350 and 2006-2010 Lexus IS250 and IS350.

Toyota's previously largest U.S. recall was about 900,000 vehicles in 2005 to fix a steering issue. The company declined to say how many complaints it had received about the accelerator issue.

The Japanese automaker warned owners that if they think their vehicle is accelerating out of control, they should check to see whether their floor mat is under the pedal. If a driver can't remove the floor mat, Toyota advises drivers to step on the brake pedal with both feet until the vehicle slows and then try to put it into neutral and switch the ignition to accessory power.

For vehicles with engine start/stop buttons, Toyota said the engine can be shut off by holding the button down for three seconds.

In the August incident near San Diego, the fiery crash of a 2009 Lexus ES 350 killed California Highway Patrol Officer Mark Saylor, 45, and three others on State Route 125 in Santee. The runaway car was traveling at more than 120 mph when it hit a sport utility vehicle, launched off an embankment, rolled several times and burst into flames. One of the family members called police about a minute before the crash to report the vehicle had no brakes and the accelerator was stuck. The call ended with someone telling people in the car to hold on and pray, followed by a woman's scream.

NHTSA investigators determined that a rubber all-weather floor mat found in the wreckage was slightly longer than the mat that belonged in the vehicle, something that could have snared or covered the accelerator pedal.

Toyota spokesman John Hanson said the final report had not yet been submitted in the California case.

"We don't know what the actual cause was of that accident other than preliminary reports that have been published so it's impossible for us to comment on that particular incident," Hanson said.

In mid-September, Toyota ordered 1,400 Toyota and Lexus dealers nationwide to ensure that each new, used and loaner vehicles had the proper floor mats and that the mats were properly secured.

In September 2007, Toyota recalled an accessory all-weather floor mat sold for use in some 2007 and 2008 model year Lexus ES 350 and Toyota Camry vehicles because of similar problems.

For more information, consumers can contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's hotline at (888) 327-4236, Toyota at (800) 331-4331 or Lexus at (800) 255-3987.
    The driver killed was a California Highway Patrol Officer. You'd think his driver training should have saved his ass and his three passengers.

What's with pressing the start/stop button 3 seconds to kill the engine? This is a design flaw IMO. I think if you you hold down a button for 1.5 seconds, that is a deliberate action and not an accidental press. This is almost as stupid as needing to press the power button 5 seconds on a PC to kill it when the system locks up.

wow, whats up with toyota. They just had a major recall of about 100 000 new corollas for having brake issues when the temperature dips below 30 degrees.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

umm the article doesn't say the driver was the patrol officer. it just said one died. he could have been in the hit SUV??

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by believe
    wow, whats up with toyota. They just had a major recall of about 100 000 new corollas for having brake issues when the temperature dips below 30 degrees.
    Same with Honda.'s quality as of late. Glad to not own either really

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Huh. That happened to me in my dad`s jetta when I was like 16. It was in first gear on elbow, and as I approached redline I freaked. Basically ended up flat shifting it to avoid engine damage, and then hit the brakes. A minute later the throttle body closed back up. The pedal was all the way up though, drive by wire. Scary shit.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    2016 Focus RS - Stealth Grey

Theyre just being really careful. I know Porsche 996s tend to get their mats stuck as well but they didn't offer a recall for such a thing.

Good on them for keeping everyone safe

And why are we picking on toyota so much? I worked at mitsubishi and did all the warranty input. Every vehicle has dumb recalls like that, just don't get publicised (sp?).

Ex: Every outlander 2006+ had to have their passenger seat belt retaining bolt replaced, or faulty ebrake cables etc.

Give em a break.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    SlowBalt

Where are all the import fan-boys now?

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Originally posted by believe
    It ain't easy being #1

Ask GM
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    15,000 red line

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Glad to not own either really

Do I see a BMW in your sig?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Same with Honda.'s quality as of late. Glad to not own either really

They both grew too fast since the late 90's. It's inevitable that when you maximize manufacturing capacity that cars quality may suffer.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

^I say all the N.A built Japanese cars have been lower quality since the factorys had shown up here, lol you start to notice these things when you worked and looked at them everyday for 4 years or so , trunk doesn't line up, lighting fixtures crooked etc, right off the Truck after the train from Ontario too. Definite difference in j vin'd models
    Compared to the vins beginning with 1 and 2. And they all wear the same badge and sit side by side in the showroom...

Originally posted by inline6turbo
    Theyre just being really careful.

Good on them for keeping everyone safe
    IMO they have either learned from the pickup truck/hilux surf incidents and negligence or THIS time it's cheaper to replace all floorMats instead of paying off grieving families one by one.

Hopefully it's the past experience as they really fked up with the steering rod relay deal.
    Last edited by n1zm0; 09-30-2009 at 08:27 PM.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

My buddies friend was the one who died in Cali. Sad story for sure. good to see them doing something about it.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    2017 370Z / 2018 Sentra / 2008 Sentra

Most retarded recall I've seen. Many cars' floor mats get stuck under pedals. Some cars have little plastic lock to keep them from sliding but that does not always work. A good river should know the location of their floor mat and how to use them...

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Originally posted by GTi-RS
    Most retarded recall I've seen. Many cars' floor mats get stuck under pedals. Some cars have little plastic lock to keep them from sliding but that does not always work. A good river should know the location of their floor mat and how to use them...
    As much as everyone likes to think they are a good driver, good drivers are few and far between.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    NC1

That is messed up. Now that's something I've never thought about ever.

That totally sucks. RIP to the 4 people.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

I still don't understand why the driver (or the 911 operator telling the driver) didn't just shift the car into neutral and brake. On standards, it's obvious to just step down on the clutch but even on autos, there's no lock between 'D' and 'N' so it should be easy to shift into neutral.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    Bicycle

won't be an issue if automaker do it the proper way, bolt accelerator to the floor, and not hang from above.

Sad story indeed.

Originally posted by mo_money2supe
    I still don't understand why the driver (or the 911 operator telling the driver) didn't just shift the car into neutral and brake. On standards, it's obvious to just step down on the clutch but even on autos, there's no lock between 'D' and 'N' so it should be easy to shift into neutral.
    Something went wrong with one of my Accords over the summer. For some reason they car would idle at 2K when it was 30C out. I would understand if it was -30C, that aside, every time I wanted to stop I had to shift into neutral. That was a rather dangerous drive home.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    won't be an issue if automaker do it the proper way, bolt accelerator to the floor, and not hang from above.
    Yep, it's been done the proper way for ages by Porsche, BMW and others.

Vs. the way the majority of manufacturers do it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast