Quantcast
The OFFICIAL 09/10 Snowboard Season Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The OFFICIAL 09/10 Snowboard Season Thread

Hey Guys - I need some advice help here,

My friend is building a box in his backyard - pretty stoked for this year. BTW I'm a castle fan 110%. I'm currently rocking a soloman and I think it's a little too stiff. I have had this board for 5-6 years now as I got it as a deal while as a poor student and it has lasted me a long time.

I'm looking for something with a little more flex as I'm getting into freestyle riding and hitting table tops and getting courage to do rails now. Anything in particular like brands I should maybe check out? I'm not too worried about pricing.

However, my price range preferable to be kept under 1000 for boots / bindings / board. - not sure if this is realistic. I know it sounds like a stretch if I get a whole new setup. I know, I'm surprised as long as I've snowboarded I never really thought too much into the equipment until last season. Realized that I think my board may be too long and isn't the best for powder runs (more so the groomed days)

Currently I am rocking a
    - Soloman Sequence 162.5
    - I'm 5''8 - 150 - 160 lbs
    - Ride boots/bindings that are getting lots of wear / old.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

I don't know if it will be under $1000. But I would definitely check out the GNU Park Pickle if you can find one. I know the Source in Kensington had one like 3 or so weeks ago.

http://www.gnu.com/index.php/snowboards/park-pickle/

But don't take my word for it. You could always just pop down to Mission or The Source and ask whats good.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

I know board length is all preference, but do you think that my soloman is too long?

Hmmmm I guess I'll just check out the shops - do you guys / gals usually buy your stuff online or from Source or Mission?

Originally posted by A|pine
    I know board length is all preference, but do you think that my soloman is too long?

Hmmmm I guess I'll just check out the shops - do you guys / gals usually buy your stuff online or from Source or Mission?
    It's too long for your weight and height if you intend to mostly ride park. Comparably I ride a board that is a little on the long side and it is a 161cm wide board now I am 6'4".

I like missions personally but the trick with that stuff is that you are going to a store were someone is being paid to sell you things. You are going to be sold things you likely don't really need. At the end of the day if you were danny kass and you had a 300$ 5150 board you would still be killing it compared to someone riding the latest new fangled flavour of the month by GNU.

PS: Don't buy a board that is above your ability level unless you really like catching your edges(Mostly to all the new kids who go out and buy a grand or more of gear then hate the sport because their boards sidecut keeps smashing their faces in...)

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

It's too long for your weight and height if you intend to mostly ride park. Comparably I ride a board that is a little on the long side and it is a 161cm wide board now I am 6'4".

I like missions personally but the trick with that stuff is that you are going to a store were someone is being paid to sell you things. You are going to be sold things you likely don't really need. At the end of the day if you were danny kass and you had a 300$ 5150 board you would still be killing it compared to someone riding the latest new fangled flavour of the month by GNU.

PS: Don't buy a board that is above your ability level unless you really like catching your edges(Mostly to all the new kids who go out and buy a grand or more of gear then hate the sport because their boards sidecut keeps smashing their faces in...)
    That's the thing, I've been snowboarding for a while now, I never put any thought to my setup until this year as I would like to take my recreation to another level. I can hit jumps, boxes and everything not quite the massive 6'' lips at lake louise from last year or a rainbow rail but am getting very passionate / enthusiastic for hitting the pow and the park.

Just looking at the board I bought (was a good deal, liked the graphics and just rolled with it for 5-7 years) and am wanting to make sure I get equipment that will allow me to push my limits.

Not looking for the latest flavour from GNU. Not worried about catching an edge, I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread has been there done that.

Again, thanks for the input much appreciated - just trying to say I was that guy who didn't think much about my equipment and rather just was out there for the fun of it but want to get a setup that'll help me really push my limits.

Originally posted by A|pine
    Again, thanks for the input much appreciated - just trying to say I was that guy who didn't think much about my equipment and rather just was out there for the fun of it but want to get a setup that'll help me really push my limits.
    Buy something shorter and lighter if that is the case. Both of those things should help you with your rotations. Just make sure you don't buy something too soft if you want to focus more on jumps than you do on rails.

At the end of the day though I mean a board is a board. You are only going to see so much out of the hardware since typically it is the user limiting the capabilities of the equipment.

If you want to stick within your budget you may want to look at the ski sale or just replacing parts of your gear instead of all of it in one go...

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

Alpine get a board with reverse camber (also known as rocker). Pros: Easier with presses, butters, deep powder and sketchy landings. Cons: Less stable at high speeds and slightly less pop on ollies.

Overall I have more fun on rocker boards and it's less work for the knees so you can charge harder all day. I've tested top end boards back to back b/w camber/rocker on the same runs and don't understand why there are still haters of the new tech. But if you see how many board companies out there have adopted the new stuff in their lines that says alot.

I suggest a Capita Horoscope 151 $440, Union bindings for around $300 and then get a nice set of boots and you'll be around $1100 for a setup that will really help you progress.

1st season for me, suggestions for newb gear and locations?

Originally posted by 20incheyes
    Alpine get a board with reverse camber (also known as rocker). Pros: Easier with presses, butters, deep powder and sketchy landings. Cons: Less stable at high speeds and slightly less pop on ollies.

Overall I have more fun on rocker boards and it's less work for the knees so you can charge harder all day. I've tested top end boards back to back b/w camber/rocker on the same runs and don't understand why there are still haters of the new tech. But if you see how many board companies out there have adopted the new stuff in their lines that says alot.
    camber boards take some getting used to... if you're a backseat rider like lots of beginners/intermediates you'll find yourself washing out at cruising/high speeds easily. I think that is part of the reason why there's a lot of hate for them.

I know the new Lib boards with C2 or whatever they call it and Never Summer boards have double reverse camber which is supposed to help with the problem.

Also, I remember reading last year that Travis Rice doesn't ride a cambered board. I think it was a similar reason. Yes I know he's a pro and not many people ride like him, but if he's not riding cambered, is there a reason for casual riders to?

<edit> Nakiska is amazing for beginners and not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. http://www.2010skicard.com/index.aspx
    J

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

^^^^^

Don't let that post confuse everyone else, when Mys73 mentions camber above he means rocker or "reverse camber."

I rather washout as a new noob then catch an edge at high speed. You get use to rocker and IMHO I won't be going back. I was about to start riding a snowskate full-time but that idea may be on hold forever now.

As for TRice board, his off the rack public board has been reverse camber the last two years. I actually have one and have used it 15+ days. I have heard through industry folks TRice does have that exact same board in the old school camber concave, this is not confirmed but can see it being true.

Good deal at Nakiska for those learning

That board is too long or you. I am 6'2 rocking and will be rocking a 155 in the park this year. It's a bit of a stretch for me, but boxes and rails will be easier.

In fact I have a board you might be interested in.

Ride DH 155, last year's model, never used. $340 and I'll even wax it! Very light board, compared to anything else I've used.

Or I will be willing to trade for a 159-162 powder board in the same price range.
    MUST BE: Twin, slightly stiffer, preferably new but I'll consider anything.

OR I might even consider buying a rockboard. Max $60, and should be capable of lasting 1 month.
    Last edited by dimi; 10-22-2009 at 01:45 PM.

If you will be buying anything thought, come get a pass from UofC snowboard club. It's $5

5% off hardgoods, 10% off soft from Mission, and source is a sponsor too but I don't know their deals. You also get a free wax from missions.

That's a great deal - I'm a uni student too. Thanks for the heads up. Where can I pick up membership?

My Ride
    09 wrx265

are there any disadvantages with using a longer board?

I would say mine is an inch taller than my shoulders, but i can snowboard fine and I'm 5'9".

also have a 155cm board but don't have boots for it yet.

My Ride
    2005 F350

I have a pair of boots and a cheap beginner snowboard for sale here http://forums.beyond.ca/st/282127/fs...ard-and-boots/

i've been thinking about getting one of those new Lib boards this year.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

I'm 6'2 and ride a 159.

Completely forgot about the snowboard club, I was going to join this year.

My Ride
    bimmer,benz, or bentley

- K2 anagram board
    - Ride LX bindings
    - Sims sage boots
    - Ripzone jacket
    - Ripzone pants
    - Oakley Splice goggles

My Ride
    FA1

Can't wait to get out there and shred been waiting since May... hahaha...

My Ride
    FA1

The 47th Annual Calgary New & Used Ski Sale runs Friday, Oct 23 to Sunday at Max Bell Arena.

This is your best chance to save on alpine and cross-country skis, snowboards, snowshoes and winter outerwear. Retail ski shops around town will offer last season's gear and clothing at 30 to 40 percent off and the public will fill the rest of the arena with gently used skis, snowboards and clothing.

Sale hours are Friday from 5 pmto 9pm, Saturday 11am to 5pm, and Sunday from 11am to 3pm.

Admission is $5 for anyone aged 17 or older. For more details, call 403.282.4122 or visit skisale.ca

Can't wait... I think we need more snowfalls. Its all icy, which blows when u fall =S

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast