Quantcast
Defying Gravity - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Defying Gravity

My Ride
    Audi

Default Defying Gravity

I just started to get into this show - is anyone else watching it? I started watching it a few weeks ago (the first one i saw was the one where they go into pod 4) ...

I missed the episode yesterday, however from the way the show is looking i think this may be the only season this show is aired. I always seem to pick up a new show only to see it die a few episodes later

My Ride
    GTI

Haha, I forgot, I meant to check this out, thanks.

Did you watch Life? Best cancelled show EVER.

My Ride
    '93 CYM FD3S

I like it, although most of the time I just feel confused.

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by Hakkola

Never watched Life... I will have to check it out.

The last show I picked up was back in April. I started watching 'The Unit' only to find out the season ended in early May and the show was subsequently cancelled.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Beta chose you
    Geek

My Ride
    GTI

Ohh yeah, the Office Space guy was in another good show that was cancelled a couple years back, some hostage negotiator show or something.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Defying Gravity has been on for over 2 months (give or take).
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by hampstor

Never watched Life... I will have to check it out.

The last show I picked up was back in April. I started watching 'The Unit' only to find out the season ended in early May and the show was subsequently cancelled.

The Unit was kickass, Sgt Blaine is one bad ass mofo, love their motto of, if commanding officer has sex with your wife, you get to kill him as revenge punishment
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

I watched the first 3 episodes, I thought the show was trying too hard - never really got into the show.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Originally posted by Hakkola

ARGH - last I had read was that it was brough back and they were doing some episodes on the web. BEST SHOW, great characters. Dammit!!
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    Audi

Watched 'Venus' tonight - god damn cliffhanger! I want to know if Zoe makes it!

Edit:

Cancelled... and they've destroyed the set

http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/10/22/se...et-destruction

My Ride
    Audi

Interview w/ the show's creator. He outlines what would've happened if the show was renewed. I really wish more shows did this... few things are more frustrating then ending a series without tying up the loose ends.

Nadia — She had quite the odd hallucinations, didn’t she? Who was that man she kept seeing, and why did he look so much like Nadia? As Parriott revealed to me, some fans of the show got it right in their guess that she was, in fact, a hermaphrodite when she was born. The choice was made for her when she was 11, by her parents, which sex she’d ultimately become. So that man we’re seeing is actually what Nadia would have been, had they chosen to raise her — or him — as a man.

Now, here’s the wild kicker. All those DNA changes that are happening with the crew, caused by Beta and the other artifacts? Well, they would eventually wind up causing Nadia to gradually turn into a man.

Parrriott also said that it was planned for Nadia to really have a more significant presence in season two. “If you see the way we wrote her, she sort of had that male sexuality about her, that ‘fuck ‘em and forget ‘em’ mentality. So we wanted to write her sort of as a male character in a female body.”

Donner & Zoe – Probably already guessed or assumed by many, but Donner’s reversed vasectomy was part of the DNA change brought upon by Beta. Eventually, toward the very end of the series, the true reason for that happening would be revealed, when Zoe becomes pregnant again on the trip. So yes, even Zoe’s hysterectomy would be “reversed” in order for that to happen.

“They were all going to be tested. The idea was that they all had points in their lives that, if they could do them all again, then they would have chosen a different path. Beta — the ‘fractal objects’ — were going to put them up against those same situations and stand them up to themselves again, give them a chance to make another decision.”

Wass — I asked what the Wassenfelder character’s significance was going to turn out to be, since, for the most part, he only seemed to serve as the comic relief for the show. “Dylan [Taylor] sort of has that different gear that we had to exploit, which is sort of that funny gear. And he had a relationship with Paula Garcés the first time we put them together, and we just though that was a relationship we have to mine. That wasn’t the initial plan, but Wass was going to have something like Pervasive Developmental Disorder [similar to Autism] and have a great fear of people touching him and having contact with other people. He was going to become a weirder guy. One reason I didn’t have hallucinations for him was because I didn’t have any for him worked out yet!”

Arnel Poe — “Yeah, people guessed pretty early on that it’s Arnel’s leg loss that gets Zoe back into the program. At the beginning of the second season, she’s going to be at home, has a job teaching college, she’s going to have another romance, she’s going to have washed her hands of the whole thing. Donner’s going to be going nuts. They’re going to be doing the survival training for the mission and Arnel was going to lose a leg, and Zoe would be called back.”

Jen — Was she mistakenly put on the mission? Why can’t she see the fractal objects? “No, she was correctly put on the mission. And she can’t see [the objects] because, if you look back at when she was in the isolation tanks, she has a fear of abandonment. Jen seems to always need a man, and she’s very needy that way because she was abandoned as a child. And what the fractal objects were doing was she was going to become extraordinarily lonely in season two, and the bunny was going to fuck up the ship and she was going to have to kill that bunny. That’s her thing she was going to have to overcome, that incredible loneliness.”

Eve — “In season two and season three, and leading into Mars, Eve was going to discover that the flashback she has of Mars, where Ted is yelling ‘go go go’, she’s going to realize that on top of his helmet there it says ‘Antares’ — so she was actually seeing the future. And she’s going to realize she has to go to Mars.”

Rollie — “Rollie was going to be in jail for his [driving incident] and have to be pulled out and take Eve [to Mars]. And they were going to go up in one of the resupply vessels to Mars.”

Goss — “Goss would not be the bad guy in the end. Goss would find out that he’s been being duped a little bit, and that it’s bigger than all of them.”

Beta and the other “fractal objects” — “I was never going to define what they were. I think that’s one of the themes about the whole show, is the theology of it. Is it God? Is it not God? Is it alien? What is the Universe? I do believe in a greater being, a greater thing, and this fractal thing is really an amazing thing. I was reading in The New Yorker how stock market swings follow Pi, the fractal equation. And that’s sort of a scary thing, that it just moves. You can plot the right dips and curves [of the market] that it does indeed move fractally, and that just blows me away. There’s just tons of stuff we don’t know.”

Other reveals:

•They would eventually get all of the fractal objects during the course of the show.
    •Arnel, Trevor, Ajay and Claire would have been behind the “true” mission being revealed to the world, eventually. The three would be forced to work with Trevor in a sort-of underground initiative and ally with him when they see that he’s right in that something larger is being hidden. We would find out that Goss is hiding a larger agenda, and then there’s an even larger agenda that even Goss is unaware of.
    •The state of the world — the planet Earth itself — would have been revealed. “We didn’t have the budget to do it the first season — it was struggle enough just to get the ship up and running and do the shows with the quality that we had. We were going to reveal the world at large and, y’know, it’s kinda a fucked up place.”
    •On that note, I mentioned the scene where Wass says he “could sleep through World War IV,” and Parriott had no idea what I was talking about. He said he’d been through the shows “eight million times” and never remembered seeing that. When I told him the episode and scene (episode 11, Wass at the isolation chambers), he said it must have been another case of Dylan Taylor ad-libbing again, and he totally missed it.
    •“There was horrific stuff we didn’t show that happened on Mars. Sharon and Walker had actually lived a couple of weeks in the habitat on the planet. Half of season three would probably have taken place on Mars or in orbit around Mars, but we hadn’t worked out fully what exactly they were going to find on Mars. But we did talk in the writers’ room about possibly having the two still alive when they arrived.”
    http://www.cliqueclack.com/tv/2009/1...m-the-creator/

My Ride
    03 Pathfinder

Damn...Wife and I just started getting into it.
    Tragic - but nothing compared to the ending of Deadwood.

Makes me sad just looking at the box sets.
    I'm amused by the simplicity of this game. Bring me your finest meats and cheeses.