Quantcast
how do I get past 1.5 plates on the flatbench? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: how do I get past 1.5 plates on the flatbench?

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Question how do I get past 1.5 plates on the flatbench?

First off, thanks a lot for taking the time to read this and offering any insight you can.

So yeah, weightlifting for many years now (about 7 or 8). EVERYTHING I've steadily increased my weight & reps on, just not flat & incline bench. Why? I don't know. There must be something I'm doing wrong. So thats why Im posting here.
    I take Creatine & Glutamine fairly regularly as both work great.
    Just no idea what I'm doing wrong. Any advice?

I do usually 1 plate & 20-25 with a spotter, 1 plate & 15pounds without out typically.
    Three sets of 4-6 reps, then the same on either the flat bench or the incline at that point, yes I alternate every workout starting off with the other one..
    what gives? Drives me nuts when I see guys smaller then me banging off two plates & two 35's or more...
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    TDi

How hard are you pusing yourself?

I found that when I was going really hard a couple years back that it was easier to gain when you had motivation. I had a stronger friend that always pushed me and I was motivated to beat him in lifting. Ofcourse I never actually beat him because as I got stronger, so did he. Spots are key because you can't go hard w/o one.

Right now I am only doing a 45 and a 5/10 a side and I feel so weak..because I am. The highest I've went, while doing protein and creatine, was 2 plates a side. I was 145lbs then and now I am 140. It sucks losing it all lol.

Try to find someone to motivate you and Ibet you'll be pushing 2 a side in no time (3months?)
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I hit that same plateau. I got right up to 85lbs a side (1x45, 1x35, 1x5) and spent months trying to get past it.

I wound up being able to do it by switching from regular bench to dumbell presses for a while. With DB pressing it's easier to push yourself because if you drop the weight it's likely going to fall to the side. Doing that I was able to get up to 95lbs/arm within a few weeks (started at 75), and when I went back to benching I was able to do 2x45/side.

Switch it up, make sure your diet is on. Oh, and maybe carb load the day before for that little extra kick?

Don't forget some people are just weaker at bb bench than others - I can rep 300 but quickly run out of steam on it. I shoudl be able to do 400+, but i can't, oh well. Gave up long time ago trying to be a big bencher - too much chance of r/c and pec tears with it.

Stick with flat and incline db pressing, some leaning-forward dips, and you'll be golden.

But, if you want to improve your bench, then figure out which part of it is your weakest (e.g., coming off your chest, lockout, etc...), focus on powerlifting exercises that target that part (e.g., benching with chains, rack lockouts, etc....) and try to do a powerlifting routine (lower reps, more maxing) that's more focused on training it.

Also remember to really focus on the support-type exercises for it (e.g., military pressing, bent over bb rows (training lats in horizontal plane, same plane as bench))

How's your form? Most people that hit a plateau want to take supplements, or change up their routine. But it's really just their form holding them back.

Bench is probably the hardest to get the form down. Easiest to learn, hardest to perfect.

Do you tuck your shoulders? Do you push off your feet to keep the weight on the shoulder blades? Do you get a liftoff? Do you push the bar downwards out of the rack instead of up out of the rack, thus losing tightness?

A video of your form would help.

Where do you fail? Lockout or off the chest. If you fail off the chest do more shoulder and chest work. If you fail at lockout do more tricep exercises.
    Last edited by liquidboi69; 10-04-2009 at 09:30 PM.

I'm having the same problem.
    My problem(s) are a combo of what was said in that video (my technique is shit) and I don't have a spot.

My Ride

Thanks everybody, greatly appreciated.

A790, sure I'll do dumbbells exclusively. Usually after the flat/incline bench Id finish up with dumbbells (because like you said you can just drop them if its too much).

403ep3, yeah not having a spotter or anybody bigger to work with sucks. normally I go with my older brother, but hes been away for several months now. I'll try the techniques listed in this thread and give an update, as he'll be back soon.

2effnfast, yeah I never do that max shit either, seen too many people rip/pull tendons, muscles & ligaments doing exactly that. No point really. I'll have to research what military presses & forward dips are. I dont think I've ever heard of either.

liquidboy, thanks for that vid. Yeah I was always told to keep the bar directly in line with the middle of my chest, and to never sway from that.
    No problems with the liftoff or during the rep, just no strength advancement in general. Every workout: the same reps & results.

That vid sure shows a lot different techniques then what I've been doing, so yeah I'll definitely give them a shot.

Thanks guys!
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Don't know why not having a spotter is such a problem. When trying to develop strength, continuously going to failure is a surefire way to stall out. Try to keep 1-2 reps in the tank. Are all of your sets to failure? Have you tried backing off? Cycle through sets of 5 reps at 70%, 80% 90%?
    heloc that shit

My Ride

^ Yeah but isn't doing a full 100% per set fine? asides from the very first one I mean.
    The first set I dont kill myself, so I leave it at 70-80%. From sets 2 & 3 and push as much as I can, typically the full 100% when I know I have some back up if I do stall.

I was told thats the best way to build muscle. Doing so I've done that to build lots of strength in other muscle groups.

So what you're saying is aim for stamina without exhaustion? (to a degree I mean)

^^^ so how's this technique been working out for you?

not going to failure on each set, or most sets, doesn't mean stamina when you're keeping the reps around 5. You need to get over the idea that you have to go to failure in order to get stronger. Not only do you not have to go to failure, you don't even need to get sore.
    Last edited by lint; 10-05-2009 at 08:46 PM.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    a really big tow vehicle

just had to add something....make sure you come all the way down, and don't let it 'bounce' off your chest....I am not a regular here, so I don't know if you already know this...

I had a friend with the same problem, and he wouldn't let the bar down enough...couldn't get past 2 plates either.

after he let the bar go down all the way, he lost a bunch of 'strength' for a while, but it all came back and more.

I hope I am not insulting your ability, I have no idea how 'good' at lifting you are .

cheers

jonn
    1999 NBS Silverado 4x4 awaiting an extensive build.
    6" BDS Lift is in. 37" mud grapplers. Built trans(by me) 4.10's, shaved ls6 heads, comp cam. More to come.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

the bar doesnt actually bounce off your chest, i have tried it, and all it does is smash your chest, your chest isn't bouncy at all

You definitely should not be "bouncing" off your chest. You go down as low as you can while still controlled so that you're able to push it back up. Some people go down to one inch, some people like to touch their chest...just don't drop it and bounce it off your chest.

My Ride

Oh no, I do full reps. All the way down until it touches my chest, then all the way up just before my elbows lock.
    Which is the reason Decline bench is a waste of energy; as its merely an incomplete rep. Yeah I know what you guys are talking about. Im not one of those people.
    Originally posted by lint
    ^^^ so how's this technique been working out for you?
    Not very good, as per this thread. So Im always open to what you guys have to say. Thanks a lot... I'll have to try this as well to see how it works out.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    Oh no, I do full reps. All the way down until it touches my chest, then all the way up just before my elbows lock.
    Which is the reason Decline bench is a waste of energy; as its merely an incomplete rep. Yeah I know what you guys are talking about. Im not one of those people.
    You haven't watched the Dave Tate video yet, have you?
    heloc that shit

Originally posted by theken
    the bar doesnt actually bounce off your chest, i have tried it, and all it does is smash your chest, your chest isn't bouncy at all
    People aren't talking about the "bounce" because your chest is 'bouncy' only.

Your muscles are actually stretchy and bouncy like an elastic band. If you go down and up fast, you stimulate something called a stretch reflex. If you pause for a second on the chest/don't bounce, then you don't exploit this. It is also safer for your shoulders.

Same works for squats. That is why when people do vertical jump tests, they squat down fast and then come up fast.

I found that pause benching, and not exploiting the stretch reflex really helped develop my off the chest strength Graham. You may have to use less weight at first if you don't already do this, but in the end it will help.
    Last edited by liquidboi69; 10-05-2009 at 11:03 PM.

403ep3, yeah not having a spotter or anybody bigger to work with sucks. normally I go with my older brother, but hes been away for several months now. I'll try the techniques listed in this thread and give an update, as he'll be back soon.
    ----

2effnfast, yeah I never do that max shit either, seen too many people rip/pull tendons, muscles & ligaments doing exactly that. No point really. I'll have to research what military presses & forward dips are. I dont think I've ever heard of either.
    ----
    No problems with the liftoff or during the rep, just no strength advancement in general. Every workout: the same reps & results.
    -----
    That vid sure shows a lot different techniques then what I've been doing, so yeah I'll definitely give them a shot.

Thanks guys!
    If you don't have a spotter, bench in the power rack then. Actually, I never use a spotter, I bench in the power rack and use the safety catches to dump the bar if I have to. I've only had to 3times that I can recall in the last 10yrs, but it makes a BIG difference when you do.

Also, too many people get lulled into a false sense of security iwth a spotter - I was (very stupidly) using a no-thumbs grip several years ago benching. With a spotter. Well, guess what - at about 3/4 of the way back up, somehow the bar slipped out of my grip and fell on my sternum. Spotter could do dick all, because he wasn't expecting that to happen. And let me tell you, dropping 250lbs on your sternum HURTS.

It took me almost a year to fully recover (be able to do exercises and golf without any pain), and after it happened I couldn't hear for 3days, and only say black and white for a day and a half - very scary!

----
    military pressing is just a standing barbell shoulder press

leaning-forward dips are just dips, but you're learning forward. This is done by tucking your head down into your chest - doing that provides the natural lean (you don't want to exagerrate the lean). SO basically if you know how to dip, it's just tuck the head into your chest and you're leaning-forward. More chest involvement
    -----------

If your arn't making any progress at all, then stop all barbell pressing exercises that arn't progressing and switch them up for something else. Come back to them in 4-6weeks. Sometimes body needs a break from a lift for a while.

---------

Keep in mind though that a lot of that video, and other videos by Tate, are powerlifting form (although a lot does transfer into "regular" benching, like tight core, drive with the legs, etc...). For example, in another one he talks about the line of the bench and shortening it, to go from ~18'' total ROM to 10''. In powerlifting that's going to be critical to move more weight; in bodybuilding, eh, not so much so.

Originally posted by liquidboi69

People aren't talking about the "bounce" because your chest is 'bouncy' only.

Your muscles are actually stretchy and bouncy like an elastic band. If you go down and up fast, you stimulate something called a stretch reflex. If you pause for a second on the chest/don't bounce, then you don't exploit this. It is also safer for your shoulders.

Same works for squats. That is why when people do vertical jump tests, they squat down fast and then come up fast.

I found that pause benching, and not exploiting the stretch reflex really helped develop my off the chest strength Graham. You may have to use less weight at first if you don't already do this, but in the end it will help.
    pause pressing is truly a great way to build explosive strength off the chest

My Ride

Big thanks guys. That should be tons to improve on. I do dips already, just not with the head tucked. Thanks for the heads up.

You haven't watched the Dave Tate video yet, have you?
    No, I'm assuming I'd be schooled if I did? I could use some four-letter-word enlightenment I guess.

No, I'm assuming I'd be schooled if I did? I could use some four-letter-word enlightenment I guess.
    Just that his form tweaks involve things like shortening the distance the bar has to travel, what you consider an incomplete rep. It's not so much that you'll be 60lbs stronger, just that you can official put up 60 more lbs and still call it a bench press. However his technique should also help to prevent injuries when benching. Watch it and form your own opinions.
    heloc that shit

Just that his form tweaks involve things like shortening the distance the bar has to travel, what you consider an incomplete rep. It's not so much that you'll be 60lbs stronger, just that you can official put up 60 more lbs and still call it a bench press. However his technique should also help to prevent injuries when benching. Watch it and form your own opinions.
    His technique is for powerlifting, but yea, the general principles remain the same for general weightlifting to avoid injury - back/shoulders tucked, tight core, legs driven into the ground to serve as a base of power.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast