Quantcast
Metal bed frame + wood headboard - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Metal bed frame + wood headboard

Default Metal bed frame + wood headboard

Anyone have a wooden headboard attached to a metal bed frame?

I was looking at the queen headboards at homedepot.ca and it says they attach to standard metal bed frames. If anyone has seen one, does the headboard actually feel very stable? I've never seen it but I just can't imagine that it would be that stable for some reason.

Anyone have some input?

How "stable" do you want it to be?

I mean, it's going to stay on the frame, but if you're reefing on it, sitting on it, or using it for "leverage", then you might eventually have some issues.

For general looks and affixing the two to each other it will work. But don't expect to be able to move the bed with the headboard, or be overly rough with it.

You're right I should have specified how stable I meant.

Basically if I sit upright in the bed and lean back onto the headboard with a little bit of force, would the headboard flex or move backwards a little bit, or would it stay in place pretty well as if I were leaning back against a wall or a solid bed?

It just seems that it would be a bit shaky since the headboard is quite tall and it attaches to the metal bed frame at a pretty low point.

I'm just trying to picture it since I don't actually have a metal bed frame yet.

Also...any other places to look for a cheapish but nice wooden headboard? Ikea only sells wall-mounted headboards.

Thanks

Well, since the frame is only connected to the headboard at a single bottom point (usually 2 screws on each rail), it will flex a bit when you lean back on it. It will be stable enough, but I wouldn't recommend it if you wanted to sit in your bed on a laptop and lean against the headboard for extended periods of time.

I don't think you'll get away from that unless you get a complete wooden bed frame with integrated headboard.

Other places to try? I borrowed some of these names from another thread here:

The Brick
    Leons
    Sears
    The Bay
    United Furniture
    Bondar's
    Lazy Boy
    Crossroads Furniture
    Fair Deal Furniture
    Amber's Furniture
    Ashley Home

Some of them will be more expensive than others...

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by Davetronz
    Well, since the frame is only connected to the headboard at a single bottom point (usually 2 screws on each rail), it will flex a bit when you lean back on it. It will be stable enough, but I wouldn't recommend it if you wanted to sit in your bed on a laptop and lean against the headboard for extended periods of time.

I don't think you'll get away from that unless you get a complete wooden bed frame with integrated headboard.

Other places to try? I borrowed some of these names from another thread here:

The Brick
    Leons
    Sears
    The Bay
    United Furniture
    Bondar's
    Lazy Boy
    Crossroads Furniture
    Fair Deal Furniture
    Amber's Furniture
    Ashley Home

Some of them will be more expensive than others...
    Hey, that's my list!

I wouldn't try a headboard attached to a frame. Being that you are only looking for a queen bed places like Leons or The Brick will have lots to offer. I also suggest Crossroads. It's a big place, the sales guy was VERY helpful and friendly and their prices seemed better than the big chain outfits. It's just too bad they didn't have anything in a King we liked.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by szw
    Also...any other places to look for a cheapish but nice wooden headboard? Ikea only sells wall-mounted headboards.

Thanks
    I would give those Ikea headboards another look. You can't get more stable than "wall mounted" and that eliminates your problem of having it attached to the frame a large distance from where you are "leaning" on it.

I used to be driven nuts by the flex of my bed frame, and eventually I decided that the problem wasn't in the quality, it was in the design. No matter what you make this thing out of, if you are putting force on it several feet away from the single attachment point, it's going to flex.

Wall mounted has solved all my problems, and looks great.
    I've got this one:

Mandal With Storage - Frame
    Mandal Wall Mounted Headboard
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

OK team, old thread bump.

Time to move up from a queen to a king, and having trouble with the frame side of the equation.
    Looking for a platform bed or any bed frame similar to the IKEA one above in King size. it appears that IKEA doesn't sell king sized frames, and my wife swears that none of the furniture stores sell that style.

Help a brother out, yo.

Also, looks like IKEA has reorganized thier site. The new link is: IKEA - Mandal with storage
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?