Quantcast
RCMP using single-engine planes to catch speeders - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: RCMP using single-engine planes to catch speeders

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by DeleriousZ

I remember when I was in Germany, the billet I was with would regularly do 150kph on the highways. This was a middle aged woman with a few kids in the car in an older volvo, and she was matching traffic. If people knew how to drive, and the roadways were built to support it, those speeds would be no issue, road conditions permitting.
    Agreed and it all comes back to training and regulation of licensing.

Catching speeders for safety? What they need to do is pull over people going above the speed limit when the conditions are poor and it's actually a safety concern because they are likely an outlier. But like hell an officer is going to be out there to pull someone like that over when the weather really sucks.

I mean honestly, when there is a blizzard, or the roads haven't been cleared, or the roads are flooded, or some idiot tries to sneak around an obviously wide loads on the highway...where are the traffic police? Sitting at their favorite spot at a particular time of the month when the weather is bearable. I have never seen a traffic officer out there in a speed trap at a place or time when they genuinely needed to be - construction zones I will admit I endorse them being there. But construction zone speed is a whole other issue. Like why decreased speeds continue to be posted when workers are not present. Or up before the project gets going. Or still up when the project is done. This is only a source for bottlenecking traffic and nothing more, but guess who is still around making sure you're driving the reduced limit? The guys enforcing the safety of the construction workers, who are no longer there.

I guess because I do a lot of driving I see this and I'm jaded. I'm jaded because the issues of real safety concerns are not being enforced but rather those that are revenue based. It truly makes me question the validity of the traffic division.

If someone wants to drive 140km/h+ on hwy 1 to Banff, I could care less. Why? Because I'm in the right lane and they can pass me as fast as they like. The safety issue comes into play when people don't know to do this, or how to properly be checking when passing others. So many times I'll notice people's intentions of passing because they'll very slightly start moving over. It is then they throw on their signal. This is a safety hazard. A basic skill everyone should know not to do and yet I see it daily. People who can't merge properly are a safety issue because some idiot reaches the end of the merge lane, panics and just decides to nearly side swipe you. This is a safety issue. Have you ever seen a traffic officer at the end of a merge lane?! More concerns: Weaving of traffic, following too close, distracted drivers, idiots at uncontrolled intersections, idiots at 4-way stops, improper identifications of lane reversals, can't parallel park, school bus safety, excessive speeding in highly concentrated pedestrian areas, poorly lit pedestrian crossings, pedestrian crossings with continued injury or death cases, poor enforcement where higher concentrations of children are present, and so on.

If revenue is a concern, I will 100% endorse a regular licensing test that I have to pay for to continue driving. Time and time again I've made mention that our licensing system needs a fine-tooth comb ran thoroughly threw it, from initial to continued license possession. But in the end I genuinely feel that this is of little concern to traffic division. While it may not presently be in their scope of work to assess the testing procedures of licensing facilities, it certainly should be. And if it is, they should be ashamed at the lack of integrity they've allowed to continue.

Have speed cameras, radar, or speed traps increased safety and decreased accidents, injury or death on the roads? Or would enforcing stricter training and improved regulation of licenses, evaluation of vehicle integrity or increasing enforcement to decrease DUI incidents improve safety and well-being?

I am the last person to bash a cop. And I'm not. Because I understand that traffic officers are just following orders. But I have highlight that the system at present is not working to increase safety on the roads. I have to question traffic officers if they feel that the general public is adequately tested and trained to safely operate a vehicle. I have to question whether traffic officers feel they are saving lives with speed/radar traps.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Originally posted by firebane
    You and all those people on the highways that are doing like 130-140 on the highways are the reasons for this.

Its retarded and asinine that people feel the need to go this fast at times on the highways.

I am all for this

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by firebane

You and all those people on the highways that are doing like 130-140 on the highways are the reasons for this.

Its retarded and asinine that people feel the need to go this fast at times on the highways.

Every trip I've taken to Edmonton I see at least 3 people pulled over by cops and another 2 people in the ditch.

I am all for this and those who hate the idea are those who don't want to get caught.
    Ya ok.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by GTS4tw
    Please be trolling...
    Has to be, 130 in a 110 oh noes

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by JUNBAO
    Just a heads up I got caught going 135 in the 110 by aircraft today in-between Calgary and Canmore. I didn't even know these existed...

My fault I know
    135? That's the avg speed on hwy 2. Hell I think I can even recall seeing ghost cars doing that.

Used to be they only whipped out the plane on long weekends. Guess not anymore.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

I remember looking into getting a CB scanner to monitor for these planes but read something about RCMP using digital frequencies you cannot monitor....anyone know anything about that? If this plane is going to be whipped out and used against people going 135 on the hwy I think I may have to take another look at getting a scanner.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    I remember looking into getting a CB scanner to monitor for these planes but read something about RCMP using digital frequencies you cannot monitor....anyone know anything about that? If this plane is going to be whipped out and used against people going 135 on the hwy I think I may have to take another look at getting a scanner.
    You won't be able to pick up officer to officer communications, but a regular scanner will pick up the chatter between the RCMP pilot and the local control tower, giving you the location of where the plane is flying.

*EDIT* I know the CPS are using P25 digital, but I don't recall if the RCMP have made that switch too. If they havn't, you should be able to pick up all communication with a regular scanner.
    Last edited by spikerS; 04-19-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    wrx wagon

Originally posted by msommers
    If revenue is a concern, I will 100% endorse a regular licensing test that I have to pay for to continue driving. Time and time again I've made mention that our licensing system needs a fine-tooth comb ran thoroughly threw it, from initial to continued license possession. But in the end I genuinely feel that this is of little concern to traffic division. While it may not presently be in their scope of work to assess the testing procedures of licensing facilities, it certainly should be. And if it is, they should be ashamed at the lack of integrity they've allowed to continue.
    Agree 100%. It is shockingly easy to get a drivers license in Alberta. I do NOT think that passing a simple multiple choice exam and a 20 min road test is enough to demonstrate that one can safely operate a motor vehicle.

I agree with the above poster, in that I don't think this issue has anything at all to do with the police. They're simply doing their job, which is to enforce rules, not to set them. Everyone knows ticketing speeders has nothing to do with safety. If the concern really was safety, then wouldn't it make more sense to ensure that motorists actually know what they are doing?

I also agree that licensing requirements should be significantly stricter not only for new drivers, but also for older drivers.

What I would propose:
    • Mandatory drivers ed classes before a new driver can even attempt their test
    • Mandatory # of driving hours with a certified instructor before a new driver can attempt the road test
    • Stricter regulations for new drivers, similar to BC
    • Mandatory theory test and road test for ALL drivers every 3-5 years (maybe when one's license is up for renewal?)

I don't think the accountability lies with the police, but rather with the government. Why is it so easy to get a license? What are the accident/fatality rates in places with stricter licensing when compared to Alberta? What would be the cost of stricter licensing requirements? What would be the expected reduction in accidents/deaths/damages/insurance rates? I don't think this is something the government can ignore for ever, I just wonder what it will take for someone to actually take some action...
    Last edited by a social dsease; 04-19-2013 at 01:01 PM.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

So if you fight a traffic ticket and the officer does not show you get an automatic not guilty right? So what about in cases of being caught by plane? The ticketing officer shows, so? He did not witness the speeding. Does the officer in the plane have to show?

My Ride
    18 BRZ Sport-Tech RS, 05 Corolla XRS, Planes

I've seen marked RCMP SUVs doing 130 on the QE2. As for the planes, the aircraft has to communicate with ATC, however since they are flying close to the ground and outside calgary's control zone they can switch frequencies.

I would have to look at my YYC charts again but I'm pretty sure you will not be able to pick them up while they are doing their thing. Probably when they are landing or taking off but the chances of you catching those transmissions between all the other chatter at the time is slim.
    Rides:
    2018 BRZ Sport-Tech RS
    2005 Corolla XRS
    Single Engine Planes

Well, everyone is talking about this issue and how to avoid it. Speed kills that is the fact so any measure to control I will welcome. While in Europe last year a I read about speed control in France (experience it driving as well) that is based on stationary photo radars as well as gendarme on overpass who clocks car from behind and then dispatches motorcycle cops to give you ticket. This system, i am talking stationary radars, has been in place for about 6 years and since then motor vehicle mortality dropped by 40%. I think that we can be unhappy with controls and tickets but if life are saved a I think this is priceless, especially is this life is someone close perhaps family member!
    Plane uses device that by pressing button at the one marker line and pressing again on once car crosses the second line, it reads actual speed.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by Waldi
    Well, everyone is talking about this issue and how to avoid it. Speed kills that is the fact so any measure to control I will welcome. bla bla bla
    Speed doesn't kill. Speed mixed with poor drivers, poor conditions and/or poorly maintained vehicles can kill.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

If speed kills, we should really do something about all those forks making people fat...

.. well, speed control decreases motor vehicle accident mortality it is a fact based on statistical correlation. Study was conducted at the end of 6 year period and results show that correlation (40% so say we are saving 40 people per 100 that would die before speed control was in place)

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
    If speed kills, we should really do something about all those forks making people fat...
    I tried that, you just shovel faster with your fists lol

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

.. well, speed control decreases motor vehicle accident mortality it is a fact based on statistical correlation. Study was conducted at the end of 6 year period and results show that correlation (40% so say we are saving 40 people per 100 that would die before speed control was in place)
    Speed is a factor in decreasing motor vehicle accident mortality rates. It's not the ONLY factor.

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

you know what's even better than implementing fascist speed control measures...
    banning the use of these deathmobiles 100%! problem solved. statistically you cant argue with that

^exactly what canmorite said

train the monkeys behind the wheels better and stop handing out DL's like cupcakes and then you'll see some real improvement in safety figures

I would be so interested to see a random selection of drivers with their vehicle and thrown on a wet skid pad and see how many can handle the basics of their own cars in adverse conditions. This or at least some winter parking lot skids and recovery should be a mandatory part of driver training.
    Last edited by v2kai; 04-22-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Originally posted by Canmorite

Speed doesn't kill. Speed mixed with poor drivers, poor conditions and/or poorly maintained vehicles can kill.
    95% of the vehicles I see excessively speeding at any given time fall into one of these categories:
    1) riced out economy class shitboxes
    2) >10 year-old rusting european entry-level near-luxury vehicles (they also like to break down during rush-hour and cause maaaaaaassive back-ups)
    3) trucks

As you can see, none of them should be speeding, since these vehicles are either not designed to be driven fast (1) or they have undergone questionable modifications/maintenance procedure (2,3).
    Last edited by effingidiot; 04-22-2013 at 10:57 AM.

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Originally posted by effingidiot

95% of the vehicles I see speeding at any given time fall into one of these categories:
    1) riced out economy class shitboxes
    2) >10 year-old rusting european entry-level near-luxury vehicles (they also like to break down during rush-hour and cause maaaaaaassive back-ups)
    3) trucks

As you can see, none of them should be speeding, since these vehicles are either not designed to be driven fast (1) or they have undergone questionable modifications/maintenance procedure (2,3).
    I think this comes back to the monkey behind the wheel. If they had an inkling of the knowledge they should have about their own motor vehicles and safe driving practices they wouldnt be speeding in their unfit automobile.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast