Quantcast
Transfer to Haskayne or stay at MRC? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Transfer to Haskayne or stay at MRC?

Default Transfer to Haskayne or stay at MRC?

Hey guys,
    I feel I'm in a little bit of a tough spot at the moment...I'm currently a MRC/U student and was planning on making the switch over to U of C in the fall of next year. I had it all planned out from the beginning to finish all the BComm 1st and 2nd year courses at MRC then transfer over.

However, I am having second thoughts. I've heard a lot of shitty things about U of C...the parking, the old ass run down buildings, the profs who only care about research and not about teaching, the massive class sizes, etc.

MRC has been a decent experience. The class sizes have been small so I have really done well in that kind of environment and I've only had maybe 2 or 3 bad profs out of about 15 classes I have taken. Not to mention the people in your faculty you meet over the span of 2 years that I will most definitely lose if I transfer over to U of C where I will basically know nobody 2 years deep into my program. The only bad thing I can say about MRU is the amazing amount of high school dropout kids/choches who somehow got into "college" and annoy everybody else.

I've heard so much conflicting information regarding both schools its not even funny. My overall goal 15 years from now is to work as a portfolio manager for a fund. Is an MRU business degree really that much different from Haskayne? Is U of C really as bad as a lot of people (especially on here) say it is.

My Ride
    TL

some of the reasons you listed not to come to u of c shouldn't be reasons not to come to u of c. I think you really need to see what will get you a better job. I personally am not a business student, but i do definitely think a university of calgary degree is more reputable than a mount royal degree, which can help you out.

I transfered to the U of L (Calgary campus) and it was the best decision I ever made. It's all night classes though (6-9pm) but you are rarely kept until 9 and they are all once per week only. It's great if you have a day job.

Doesn't really matter. A school is a school, what you do outside of school and how you get involved in the practical/real life aspects of what you're studying is how you'll get employers to notice you. Also, if you don't come off as a dumbass or a douche in interviews you'll be find regardless of what university you come from as far as undergrad goes.

i know for sure that the accounting program at MRU is equivalent to UofC's program(maybe even better).

Originally posted by DJ_NAV
    i know for sure that the accounting program at MRU is equivalent to UofC's program(maybe even better).
    Care to elaborate and define "better"?

My Ride
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 08

my girlfriend actually transfered from mrc to haskayne, and its already been 1month and shes really missing the teaching style of MRC.. she likes the smaller classes and and feels more involved at mrc then she does at UofC.....

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

If you really like the small classes at MRC and the teaching style, you can try out U of L. Great school imo, really small class's where the instructors actually try to get to know you and much easier than U of C imo. Less competitive and more group work. Most of the people are pretty friendly, and you'll meet people pretty easily as the same people will be in multiple classes with you. Plus everybody is from Calgary.

And it's close enough to Calgary that you can go back every weekend if you want, especially since Business students don't have classes on Friday.

This is coming from somebody whose been to U of C too.

Originally posted by beyondpinoy
    my girlfriend actually transfered from mrc to haskayne, and its already been 1month and shes really missing the teaching style of MRC.. she likes the smaller classes and and feels more involved at mrc then she does at UofC.....

the old ass run down buildings
    FUCK. These two quotes sum up my experience.

I transferred from MRC to U of C after two years. This is my first semester at U of C. The campus at U of C is nice, but it's old as shit. I hope you don't mind not having cell signal for 8 hours a day, as all the buildings are solid brick or solid concrete. Also, I hope you don't mind walking for 5 minutes to find a washroom, because its not like MRC where there are 2 on every floor. I'm in the accounting program, my current assignment in accounting is THE EXACT FUCKING ASSIGNMENT I had two years ago in my accounting application class at MRC (seriously, word for word, the same assignment, simply accounting stylez). Besides that, the profs are out to get you at u of c, on exams, they are looking to fuck your shit up, its tricky bullshit after trick after trick.

Maybe I just need to adjust to a different learning style, or maybe MRC has a better accounting program, who really knows? half of the accounting profs at U of C used to teach at MRC anyways.

*edit* If you think you have the same chance at mrc at getting the job you want when you graduate, stay the fuck at MRC, it's 10x the school. Don't listen to U of C elitist douche bags.
    Last edited by Enhance; 10-08-2009 at 03:50 AM.

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

Don't understand the argument about the run down buildings at the U of C if you're in business... >95% of business classes are still being held in Scurfield Hall or Professional Faculties...two of the best buildings on campus...

So most people here are referring to the overall campus, I'm just going to talk about Haskayne. As mentioned, Scurfield hall is always under renovation. Class sizes for business classes don't usually exceed 60, and once you move up to your advanced finance classes, you'll get to know your profs way better and classes will obviously weed down to smaller numbers.

I don't really care about the MRU and UofC debate, but if you're looking to work as a portfolio manager for a fund, I'd have to probably say UofC would be the better choice. The connections and programs are there to get you closer to that goal imo, however I'm a bit biased because I don't know MRU's business finance area.

Good thing to note is that investment or financial institutions are picky as fuck about your resume, what school/what degree/gpa, and knowledge. The ibanking interviews a week ago at UofC were pretty crazy.

Anyways, best of luck!

My Ride
    '15 GTI

Originally posted by beyondpinoy

Originally posted by Enhance

FUCK. These two quotes sum up my experience.

I transferred from MRC to U of C after two years. This is my first semester at U of C. The campus at U of C is nice, but it's old as shit. I hope you don't mind not having cell signal for 8 hours a day, as all the buildings are solid brick or solid concrete. Also, I hope you don't mind walking for 5 minutes to find a washroom, because its not like MRC where there are 2 on every floor. I'm in the accounting program, my current assignment in accounting is THE EXACT FUCKING ASSIGNMENT I had two years ago in my accounting application class at MRC (seriously, word for word, the same assignment, simply accounting stylez). Besides that, the profs are out to get you at u of c, on exams, they are looking to fuck your shit up, its tricky bullshit after trick after trick.

Maybe I just need to adjust to a different learning style, or maybe MRC has a better accounting program, who really knows? half of the accounting profs at U of C used to teach at MRC anyways.

*edit* If you think you have the same chance at mrc at getting the job you want when you graduate, stay the fuck at MRC, it's 10x the school. Don't listen to U of C elitist douche bags.
    i did the transfer a few years ago...i think the feelings of the posters above are moreso out of culture shock/change rather than actual experience (not to be an elitist douche, but you have 3 more semesters of experience before i think you can accurately gauge the difference between the schools)...i felt the same way in my first semester of transfer

but back when i did it, mrc was not a university. there are alot of things to consider:
    -are you absolutely sure you want to be a finance grad? the u of c commerce degree likely offers more concentration fields than mrc/u just in case you don't want to
    -the kind of job you want: you said you want to manage a fund, so you don't want to be a run of the mill CFP, i can't say what the career path looks like for a finance grad 15 yrs down the road, but i can bet the CPMT douches (super elite finance douches in haskayne) are on the fast track to that
    -post grad studies: want to be a lawyer, get an MBA or any other kind of post-grad? MRU is very gray area on that at the moment

in my honest opinion:
    -MRU, way more fun, very hands on and a very effective learning environment, i loved it there
    -U of C, maybe not love, but i didn't hate my time as a student and now that i've graduated i wish i could go back to school. i also think its prudent to take the opportunity to take the degree that will open more doors, not saying the MRU degree won't, but i do believe that it bears more risk...like buying the first year of a new generation of a sports car...ex. first yr GT-R owners

Originally posted by Enhance
    Besides that, the profs are out to get you at u of c, on exams, they are looking to fuck your shit up, its tricky bullshit after trick after trick.
    You can't be serious right. You do enough problems you know all the tricks.

holy shit everyone talks so shitty about haskayne. it can't be THAAAAAAT bad.

My Ride
    02' dc5

Okay, anyone arguing to get a degree at U of L or MRC, over UofC
    Do you HONESTLY think people that graduate from those to schools will have any chance of obtaining a job OVER a U of C student. There is probably not a very good chance of that; depending on what field your looking to get into. UofC offers alot more options for that.
    I admit compared to other universities U of C isn't the greatest, but it is definately way above MRC and U of L.
    For your own knowledge business classes at UofC are 90% held in Proffesional fac. or Scrufield as said above. Once your into your real business classes, your classes will not exceed 50-60kids at any time, its all the stupid options you have to take(which I hate myself).
    Professors at University do care about there research because thats what they are passionate about(wouldn't you be?), but that does not mean they don't care about passing their knowledge to students. Does MRC even research things? Personally I have never heard anything about it.
    In the end its your choice but don't let your mind be clouded by the idiots who didn't have the grades to get into a university and were forced to go to a college.
    Parking at UofC as well isn't too bad I believe they increases the price 50cents a day? But there are alot of options other then parking right on campus, you can park at the volley dome and get a monthly pass, 5minute walk to scrufield; I park at the church when I only have 1 class and its free? You can get passes to mcMahon stadium per semester which is cheap cheap.
    I'm not sure about MRC's parking never heard much so can't compare.
    If you want to go to a great business school, Toronto FTW.
    Last edited by 2Valve0; 10-08-2009 at 04:51 PM.

I'd say UofC over MRU. There are various reasons but i'm going with peer quality.

3 of my profs at the UofC(ACCT, and Business Law), whom also teach at MRU, have said they prefer teaching UofC classes for the same reason. The students had to have at least the min. req., one way or another, to get in.

P.S. This could be my bias though. I want to get into Ibanking and UofC has a huge advantage over MRU for that area. That doesn't mean its not possible but will require a lot more leg work (networking, learning sell side finance on your own).

Eg. I've gotten into the habit of networking with alumni in the field through informational interviews. Also i've done self study for financial modeling(All banking models besides Black Scholes) before even taking FNCE317.

If you want to be a fund manager, your best chance is going through Ibanking/S&T and getting a CFA.

That being said, UofC isn't anywhere near being a top school for getting into high finance anywhere outside of Calgary(Thanks to geographical advantage). If you don't wanna stay here a few years, consider Ivey, UofT, Rotman.
    Last edited by Ebon; 10-08-2009 at 06:57 PM.