Quantcast
Quality Monitors for photo editing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality Monitors for photo editing

Default Quality Monitors for photo editing

I'm curious what monitors some of our professionals are using for their photo editing. I had until recently two 23" apple cinema LCD monitors that I found were quite good. The one monitor just stopped working and I'm now having reservations over buying another.

While I enjoyed the fact the color was bang on the fact the monitor only lasted six months is a bit of a concern. I would just like to get some feedback before I make the next big purchase.

Apple will not cover the warranty on the product since the part that broke is not covered under the limited warranty. /SIGH.

When it comes to photo editing the key is having a good colour calibrator. For the most part monitors out of the box need to be calibrated before anyone should do any major editing on them.

That said. As for brands. You also have to keep in mind that there are really only 4-5 companies that make LCD panels so owning an Apple monitor may be no different than owning a Dell or HP monitor.

I actually wont buy a low end consumer LCD. HP, Dell, Samsung, etc. I was kind of looking at the Eizo CG222 since it's in the price bracket that I find semi acceptable. I am using a studio colormunki for calibration though so I find the colors are fairly accurate.

One thing I can say about the apple cinema displays is the color is so good the calibration barely changes anything. However a $1,000 LCD monitor dying after six months is just something I simply can't stand.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Worry less about the monitor and more about your color management software/hardware.

I suggest those that want accurate color settings to purchase or look at Spyder3 Elite

Some of Dell's "Higher end" monitors are as good as they come (at least a while ago they were, I haven't looked lately). Their mainstream monitors, though, are no better than anyone else's.

IPS panels are the best for color accuracy/reprodution, but they need to be caibrated more often. Most LCD's are TN panels because they are inxpensive, offer the best response times, and are great for games, but if your primary use is photo editing I would look elsewhere. TN panels are also mostly only 8bit.

I've got a Dell 2407WFP (IPS panel) and I've yet to see a monitor I like better, but there is certainly some level of subjectivity to that. Prints come out EXACTLY like they look on the screen, every time, so I couldn't be happier. I use a Huey for calibration, I see no need for anything more as I don't do prints myself.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-08-2009 at 11:17 AM.

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

Accurate colour is all in the monitor you choose. What do you want? Do you want to get CLOSE? Or do you want to be ACCURATE?

Most monitors can get somewhat close. But only a very small handful can be accurate... and apple cinema displays are not in that list.

There was a thread about this a while ago here... have you tried searching?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/206265/mo...r-your-photos/

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Here you go Quaz.

Probably the best monitor out there right now.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...1&sku=223-4890

That thread is regarding calibration not regarding the actual monitor. Calibration of course is a key thing and I use a colormunki to calibrate both the monitors and custom ICC profiles for prints so everything is as accurate as possible. You did mention a few monitors but I guess nobody on here has specific experience with said monitors? I'm just fearful now of these high end monitors going poof. In the case of my apple monitor it was the LCD itself that went which is why apple won't cover the warranty.

What I'm after is the monitors that provide an edge and that are going to last and not burn out. Just for the record, most people list the best as being Eizo, LAcie, NEC and Apple. The apple cinema displays I am using were extremely accurate right out of the box. Color calibration of course was still required.

I did read into the higher end Dell monitors however I've had huge issues buying dell products and thus can't support their company. I think the last I ordered one of their higher end computers and they ended up shipping me two both that had some random freezing issue that their tech support couldn't solve and it just ends up being a headache.

89coupe don't kid yourself, high end monitors make a huge difference. The cheap samsung, LG, HP, etc monitors you find at futureshop aren't exactly accurate even after running them through calibration.

I think right now I have it between a 22" Eizo or a 24" Lacie monitor. I'm leaning towards the eizo I think. The 5 year warranty is really has me wondering though. All these limited warranties are beginning to make my head spin.

Originally posted by 89coupe
    Here you go Quaz.

Probably the best monitor out there right now.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...p;sku=223-4890
    Me thinks not.

http://www.adorama.com/EICG301WBK.ht...nfo=eizo+30%22

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by quazimoto

89coupe don't kid yourself, high end monitors make a huge difference. The cheap samsung, LG, HP, etc monitors you find at futureshop aren't exactly accurate even after running them through calibration.

I think right now I have it between a 22" Eizo or a 24" Lacie monitor. I'm leaning towards the eizo I think. The 5 year warranty is really has me wondering though. All these limited warranties are beginning to make my head spin.
    If what I see on the screen looks the same as what I print out, I'm happy.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Me thinks not.

http://www.adorama.com/EICG301WBK.ht...nfo=eizo+30%22
    I don't see any significant differences between the two other then it costs twice as much.

You could buy two of the Dells and have twice the work space.

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

I've been using the NEC 2690WUXi for a couple years now. Works as good now as the day I opened the box. I also have an NEC 1990SXi for my toolbars and stuff, but it's accuracy isn't quite as good as the 2690 so I don't use it for anything colour critical. (Though it's still better than almost all consumer monitors out there due to it's ability to be internally hardware calibrated)

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

According to a thread I found on miranda while I was conducting a similar search:

Dell 2209WA (22")
    HP2475W (24")
    NEC 2490 (24")

The cost range here is the kicker...The dell is very good and uses an IPS-C panel, all for $369 canadian. The NEC ranks the best according to most, especially if you get it with the Spectraview(it's own calibrator) which sadly is apparently not on the canadian model, but it rings in at $1500 US...

here's the thread:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/808765/

and a seperate thread with a review of the dell:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/768197/
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Accent yeah I'm looking at two monitors specifically one for editing and one for just whatever. I usually have the second monitor playing music, TV, movies, etc. I find it rather boring editing photos all day staring at a screen so something on the other monitor helps.

I hadn't really looked into NEC until now to be quite honest. 89coupe there are big difference between Dell and EIZO. Please dont be telling people the monitor doesn't make a difference either. I think a professional photographer requires a damn good display to make sure the photos are accurate.

I mean all of us on this photography forum really want to bash you less than we do but when you make comments like that what are we supposed to say.

I'm not saying the DELL monitors are bad, if anything they are a good solution for the money. Vistek has told me they can get the EIZO's in for me in 10-14 days which isn't too bad I don't think.

Where did you buy your NECs from?

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

http://www.onhop.ca/catalog/product/1000878

cheapest price in canada according to a quick search
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I hadn't really looked into NEC until now to be quite honest. 89coupe there are big difference between Dell and EIZO. Please dont be telling people the monitor doesn't make a difference either. I think a professional photographer requires a damn good display to make sure the photos are accurate.
    Design, hardware, technology, where does the EIZO outperform the Dell I posted? I'm curious to hear your professional expertise? Please provide me with the some technical information as I'm very curious.

Thanks.

If you DELL is a maker of quality products then you need to have your head re-examined. Guaranteed the color accuracy in the EIZO will be significantly better than the Dell. Last I checked EIZO's have in the neighbourhood of a 97% gamut. For some reason dell doesn't list the ADOBE RGB gamut and just NTSC.

So the bigger advantages, better color, less lag and most certainly better build quality. As I said, there is nothing wrong with buying a Dell, for me it boils down to personal preference. I think Dell is the Wal-mart of the computing world.

If you DELL is a maker of quality products then you need to have your head re-examined. Guaranteed the color accuracy in the EIZO will be significantly better than the Dell. Last I checked EIZO's have in the neighbourhood of a 97% gamut. For some reason dell doesn't list the ADOBE RGB gamut and just NTSC.

So the bigger advantages, better color, less lag and most certainly better build quality. As I said, there is nothing wrong with buying a Dell, for me it boils down to personal preference. I think Dell is the Wal-mart of the computing world.
    To be fair you weren't exactly clear in your original post about your requirements.

You mentioned nothing about needing a 97+% AdobeRGB gamut and said you were coming from an Apple display (which you praised) even though their gamut is around 75% (which is lower than some Dell monitors).

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/14/d...599-us-retail/

My Ride
    1992 Nissan 240sx

Originally posted by Go4Long

NEC 2490 (24&quot

Unfortunately the NEC 2490 only covers 75% of the adobe and SRBG colour gamuts.

he should be giving the NEC 2690WUXi2 a look though...Quazi I will pm you.

And once again, it's still a DELL. Like other Dell products they are made in China, Phillipines, etc. Eizo is made in Japan.

I wasn't saying the apple monitors were the all end all of monitors. It is what I'm currently using though and they do a splendid job, just lasting six months though isn't exactly great.

I wouldn't buy a dell simply from the perspective that DELL build quality and tolerances are poor. Hence why I say the performance may be good, not as good as eizo or lacie but it something I wouldn't consider buying simply over quality control issues.

If you've ever tried to get technical support from Dell on the phone you'd realize the mess you go through. The problem with the current apple displays is they were mainly produced in 2005 and since then technology has changed quite a bit.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast