Quantcast
Obama Awarded 2009 Nobel Peace Prize - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama Awarded 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

My Ride
    Audi

Default Obama Awarded 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Obama awarded 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

(CNN) -- President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday, a stunning decision that comes just eight months into his presidency.

Less than nine months into his presidency, Barack Obama has been awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

1 of 3 The Norwegian Nobel Committee said it honored Obama for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

The decision appeared to catch most observers by surprise.

The president had not been mentioned as among front-runners for the prize, and the roomful of reporters gasped when Thorbjorn Jagland, chairman of the Nobel committee, uttered Obama's name.

Nominations for the prize had to be postmarked by February 1 -- only 12 days after Obama took office. The committee sent out its solicitation for nominations last September -- two months before Obama was elected president.

The president, who was awakened to be told he had won, said he was humbled to be selected, according to an administration official. Watch announcement of 2009 Nobel Peace Prize »

Obama will make a statement Friday morning from the Rose Garden, administration officials said.

The Nobel committee recognized Obama's efforts to solve complex global problems including working toward a world free of nuclear weapons. Watch CNN's Christiane Amanpour's anlaysis »

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said. Ed Rollins: Obama now must earn it

Jagland said the decision was "unanimous" and came with ease.

He rejected the notion that Obama had been recognized prematurely for his efforts and said the committee wanted to promote the president just it had Mikhail Gorbachev in 1990 in his efforts to open up the Soviet Union.

Don't Miss
    Obama win polarizes Web
    TIME.com: Nobel is last thing Obama needs
    iReport.com: Does Obama deserve it?
    "His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population," it said.

The announcement caught the White House off guard. One senior administration official said "we were quite surprised."

Some analysts have speculated that the prize could give Obama additional clout as he forms a strategy for the war in Afghanistan and attempts to engage Iran and North Korea. Another senior administration official told CNN he hopes the White House can "use it for the positive."

The domestic political consequences are unclear. Supporters hope the prestige associated with the prize will strengthen the president's hand in the health care reform debate. A top Republican from George W. Bush's administration, however, argued that "this will backfire on them for a while" and asserted it was "a gift to the right." Laureates to Nobel winners: Prepare for 'lightning bolt'

Obama's recognition comes less than a year after he became the first African-American to win the White House. He is the fourth U.S. president to win the prestigious prize and the third sitting president to do so.

Jagland said he hoped the prize would help Obama resolve the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Listen to Jagland explain why Obama was this year's choice »

Former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari, last year's laureate, said it was clear the Nobel committee wanted to encourage Obama on the issues he has been discussing on the world stage. Praise, skepticism greet Nobel announcement

"I see this as an important encouragement," Ahtisaari said.

The committee wanted to be "far more daring" than in recent times and make an impact on global politics, said Kristian Berg Harpviken, director of the International Peace Research Institute.

And Wangari Muta Maathai, the Kenyan environmentalist who won the 2004 Peace Prize, said the win for Obama, whose father was Kenyan, would help Africa move forward.

"I think it is extraordinary," she said. "It will be even greater inspiration for the world. He has shown how we can probably come together, work together in a cooperative way."

The award comes at a crucial time for Obama, who has initiated peace missions to key parts of the globe.

Obama's envoy to the Middle East, George Mitchell, has returned to the region to advocate for peace negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians. Mitchell met Thursday with Israeli President Shimon Peres. He plans to meet Friday with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu before talking with Palestinian leaders in the West Bank.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton starts a six-day trip to Europe and Russia on Friday. On the trip, the secretary will discuss the next steps on Iran and North Korea, and international efforts to have the two countries end their nuclear programs.

The centerpiece of the trip will be her visit to Moscow, where she will work toward an agreement to take the place of the Start II arms control pact, which expires December 5. She also will address the new bilateral presidential commission that is working on a broad range of issues, from arms control to health.

Mohamed ElBaradei, who won the 2005 peace prize for his efforts to prevent nuclear energy being used for military means, said Obama deserved to win for his efforts to bring Iran to the table for direct nuclear talks with the United States.

"I could not think of anybody who is more deserving," said ElBaradei, the chief of the International Atomic Energy Agency. Listen to ElBaradei react to the announcement »

As the news of Obama's win broke online, postings on social network sites Twitter and Facebook expressed surprise. Many started with the word: Wow.

The last sitting U.S. president to win the peace prize was Woodrow Wilson in 1919. The other was Theodore Roosevelt in 1906. Jimmy Carter had been out of office for more than two decades when he won in 2002. Obama unique among presidential Nobel winners

This year's Peace Prize nominees included 172 people -- among them three Chinese dissidents, an Afghan activist and a controversial Colombian lawmaker -- and 33 organizations, the highest number of nominations ever.

The Nobel recipient receives a prize of about $1.4 million.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...ize/index.html

Imagine the praise he's going to get once he actually does something.

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

I have mixed thoughts on this. Should he be getting this based on the fact that hes just doing his job? Seems as if 1/10 US leaders was good so they give him an award. On the other side of it I do like the fact that hes trying to make USA a team player in the world and not just the big bully who says we do it our way or screw you all.

Im a bit shocked .. but not really mad about it... Who else was up for getting it?
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Originally posted by BrknFngrs
    Imagine the praise he's going to get once he actually does something.

Haha. Exactly.

Well done gentlemen, you've successfully destroyed any credibility or relevance the Nobel Peace Prize still had.

It's now officially a political beauty pageant.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

I believe he deserves it...

"extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future,"

Both true and both important. Let me know who is more deserving.

Originally posted by JAYMEZ
    Who else was up for getting it?
    There were 205 nominees. There's no official list yet but the President of France, a former hostage and a couple doctors were known to be nominated.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

What a fucking joke. Obama isn't some great Messiah people are making him out to be. NPP committee, pull your heads out of each other's asses. Please stop handing it out like candy out of a windowless van.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    a non turbo Subaru

2010 winner of the Nobel Peace Prize will be Big Bird from Sesame Street.

The Nobel Peace prize has become a farce now.
    Last edited by GC84ever; 10-09-2009 at 10:09 AM.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

hahaha OBVIOUSLY^ The guy has done absolutely NOTHING. He wasn't qualified to be president when he was elected and he's not qualified now. Wait, he's black, so it's all good.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Alfred Nobel would be turning over in his grave if he knew what the Prize had become.

Denis Mukwege should have won, IMO.

My Ride

Originally posted by syeve
    I believe he deserves it...

"extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."
    What has he done?
    What efforts has he made?
    He's talked. He's said "I think there should be peace." but hasn't done anything about it, nor laid out any plan to achieve it.

Fuck, *I* think there should be peace too. Now where's my money?

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future,"

Both true and both important. Let me know who is more deserving.

That's great, but that the very definition of what I referred to as a political beauty pageant. I, and many others around the world, if news coverage is to be used as a gauge, think the Peace Prize should be based on accomplishments, not sentiments.
    You've gotta actually do something.
    And all Obama's done it talk.

Great talker. But thus far, just talk.

As far as who's more deserving:
    How about Ghandi? He's never gotten it.

Since Obama apparently got his prize by talking about peace in the middle east, how about someone who's actually been actively pursuing it and doing something about it, like Sari Nusseibeh?

Fuck, even the Huffington Post, on of the most liberal, left wing, Obama nut hugging site on the internet thinks it's way premature and uncalled for.

And, of course, let's not forget that Obama, the recipient of the PEACE prize, is currently president of a country that's currently waging 2 separate wars, with another 2 (Iran and N.Korea) waiting in the wings...

So, pray tell, just what the fuck has Obama actually done to earn him this formerly prestigious award?
    Last edited by TKRIS; 10-09-2009 at 10:14 AM.

Hope is nothing.
    Hope accomplishes nothing.
    Hope will not end a war.
    Hope will not bring peace.

action.

He doesn't deserve this award.

dalai lama has a nobel award as well, it's a joke.
    Last edited by TurboD; 10-09-2009 at 10:29 AM.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

VVV

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by TKRIS

What has he done?
    What efforts has he made?
    He's talked. He's said "I think there should be peace." but hasn't done anything about it, nor laid out any plan to achieve it.

Fuck, *I* think there should be peace too. Now where's my money?

That's great, but that the very definition of what I referred to as a political beauty pageant. I, and many others around the world, if news coverage is to be used as a gauge, think the Peace Prize should be based on accomplishments, not sentiments.
    You've gotta actually do something.
    And all Obama's done it talk.

Great talker. But thus far, just talk.

As far as who's more deserving:
    How about Ghandi? He's never gotten it.

Since Obama apparently got his prize by talking about peace in the middle east, how about someone who's actually been actively pursuing it and doing something about it, like Sari Nusseibeh?

Fuck, even the Huffington Post, on of the most liberal, left wing, Obama nut hugging site on the internet thinks it's way premature and uncalled for.

And, of course, let's not forget that Obama, the recipient of the PEACE prize, is currently president of a country that's currently waging 2 separate wars, with another 2 (Iran and N.Korea) waiting in the wings...

So, pray tell, just what the fuck has Obama actually done to earn him this formerly prestigious award?
    ^hey, I agree with you. But what he has done, however intangible, is change the direction the states were going. I like the idea of putting some pressure on Obama to actually perform and not just talk.

And I haven't heard some one say "pray tell" for a long long time...I am so going to use that.

My Ride
    Model S

Wow, that is ridiculous.

In a way, as nonsensical as this is, I actually think it is a good thing. With any luck, it will make him think he is some world renowned ambassador of peace, and that might influence how he assumes his role. I know that isn't how it is supposed to work, but...

My Ride

^hey, I agree with you. But what he has done, however intangible, is change the direction the states were going. I like the idea of putting some pressure on Obama to actually perform and not just talk.
    Really?
    Because by any objective measure, they're doing pretty much the exact same thing now as they were before.

So what direction are they going in now? What changes have been made?

The entire premise is based on pure rhetoric. Nothing has been done. No measurable difference has been made. There's no evidence of any substantial change in mindset. The only tangible thing Obama has done is make people like him.
    If you think that's enough to warrant a peace prize, that's your prerogative. I think it makes the entire organization a farce. Maybe we should give Ellen Page a peace prize as well. Saw her on Conan the other night and she's likeable and charming as hell.

And I haven't heard some one say "pray tell" for a long long time...I am so going to use that.
    I'm occasionally ribbed about the fact that I tend to speak like an old man...

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

^^that's all I'm sayin'!

And why all the hate for Obama, he inherited a cluster fuck of a country, he wants to fix it. Would you rather have Mcain wheelchairing around?

This will put pressure on Obama to perform.

EDIT, fuck I need to start writting faster.

To TK...Again, I don't disagree with you. I am spinning it in a positive way because I have so little faith left in humanity and I think Obama is one of the few people (besides keyboard warriors or course) doing anything about it.

If he is fixing "it" by getting people to like him, that's a start. I do agree is it premature, but again, a little pressure on him to perform beyond making speaches and I am all for it.
    Last edited by syeve; 10-09-2009 at 10:56 AM.

My Ride

No hate for Obama. I just don't buy into his being the new Black Jesus.
    I judge people based on what they do. Thus far, Obama has done absolutely nothing to warrant him receiving such a revered distinction. The reason why he hasn't done anything doesn't matter. He hasn't done anything.

It's like giving someone a father of the year award before 3 days after their first child is born. Maybe they'll be awesome, maybe they'll be an abusive asshole. But until they actually start being a father, we won't know how good of a father they'll be.

By your reasoning, we could just give performance awards to everyone we want to preform well. It's ridiculous.

I understand where you're coming from. I'm just saying that, no matter how you spin it and how hard you pretend to see a silver lining, all this does is cheapen a once prestigious award. Obama doesn't deserve the Peace prize, so giving it to him only degrades the value that that distinction.
    Last edited by TKRIS; 10-09-2009 at 11:06 AM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I don't see why he was nominated 9 DAYS after he was elected. This smacks of either politically motivation or "hes the first black president and not GWB"
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast