Quantcast
Garage doors - if you're still planning that garage... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garage doors - if you're still planning that garage...

My Ride
    4x4

Default Garage doors - if you're still planning that garage...

Going to tease some of you building garages Yes cellphone pics / vids not high quality - but you get the general idea.

This was my weekend project; owner of this place chose wisely, and followed my suggestions.

16x8 Steelcraft T12 (ok I didn't like this - but it was part of the garage package), running a bit of highlift (vertical travel before rolling back), then follows the pitch of the scissor trusses. Operator is a Liftmaster 3800 Jackshaft.

(For those getting technical - yep no weatherstrip... Friggin steelcraft - package says 16x8 right on it but has 7' sides )

Can't tell but the floors actually close to 1 1/2" out of level at its worst; cheated the door (headshaft is level) to pick up most of it.

Gotta love all that room!

Video - love that 3800 - quiet as heck; makes that clunk-clunk of rollers transitioning sound ridiculously loud.

Yes this is one way to fit a hoist in the garage

No - it doesn't come cheap...

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

so do you build garages or just install garage doors?

I was wondering if you would happen to know how to take off paint from a wooden garage door. I have a wooden garage door that is painted over. I was wondering whats the best possible way/easiest way to get rid of the paint so I can varnish and sand to show off the wood.

Also if you build garages would you also know how much height should there be at a minimum in order to incorporate a lift?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    4x4

Not a framer - technically not a door guy anymore (but I do still work in the industry). I do like to prove to myself I can still do it; and get hands-on knowledge of the new gear every now and then...

Don't assume that since your door is wood - that it can be stained... There's a stain grade for a reason. You may find what's underneath isn't something you'd want on the front of your house... If it's a true residential wood panel door - you may find that it's particle board or similar on the panels (area at the center of the section bordered by styles/top & bottom rails).

More height is better, 9' eave with scissor trusses makes it easier - but you'd never get a truck on the hoist... (By the way - never ask the framer/builder - they put em up all the time then the door guy gets left to figure out how it can possibly be made to work - they never ask us what we can do - they just figure we can work around whatever they throw up)
    Last edited by AndyL; 10-12-2009 at 08:56 PM.

My Ride
    Apex Predator

I'm having a 3800 jackshaft operator + high lift hardware installed in the new baywest home I'm building as well. It's gonna be so sweet. I'll have like 10ft of clearance (at the lowest point ) inside the garage that way. I spoke with the door company personally so they know what i expect and they say its very do-able based on my plans.

It's something nobody ever thinks about. Hell I wasn't even thinking about it until I walked through another similar house that was under construction and noticed how shitty it was having a low hanging door. It really is the best way to free up as much space as possible whether the door is up or down.
    Last edited by NickGT; 10-12-2009 at 10:05 PM.

"She takes premium dude! PREMIUM!!! DUDE!!!!"

Default Re: Garage doors - if you're still planning that garage...

Originally posted by AndyL
    16x8 Steelcraft T12 (ok I didn't like this - but it was part of the garage package)
    Too bad he wasn't able to upgrade to a wider door in lieu of what's given in the package. This garage is big enough for an 18' door, maybe even a 20' door.

My Ride
    4x4

Garage would handle a lot wider yet (there's a good 6' on each side of the door)

But wider isn't always better; once you pass 18' really you're getting into a commercial door and costs start escalating exponentially... You start running out of 'residential' operators you can use; start getting into the mid range commercial stuff...

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

I have a ~11'-6" ceiling in my garage. Of course, they put a standard 16x8 door in, with 90* bends at the top. Any reason I couldn't get some lengths of straight track, and extend it up to the ceiling before going horizontal?
    And now I'll illustrate with a gorgeous ansi representation:

Currently:
    |
    |

/-------------|_|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |____________________

What I want:
    ||
    ||
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |_____________________________
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    4x4

Yep - there's a very good reason actually

All has to do with balance - you need correct springs & drum to properly counterbalance the weight of the door (and have it balance correctly all the way through). Anyone who tells you different and is going to make it work - will be doing you a great disservice.

In your scenario there's 3 options (in shell busey good better best format)

10' verticals, new drums, springs (standard lift), a dummy section (scratch & dent or similar - wont be seen - except from inside).

Swap out horizontals for 32" radius, new springs, drums, cables, puts the underside of the track up to ~10'. Need a longer trolley rail and longer j-arm. Alternatively I have ceiling mounted a couple openers back far enough to make an existing opener work... Usually better to just do it right...

Proper way - add a splice, bit more track, new springs, drums cables, swap that existing opener out for a jackshaft variety. And everything is wonderful...
    Last edited by AndyL; 10-13-2009 at 11:06 AM.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Figures.
    I wasn't sure if the torsion bar springs could be tightened enough to lift the door an extra 3'.

Looks like a jackshaft opener would be the easiest way to go.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    4x4

It's a little more than tightening them a bit - throws everything out when you do that - and the springs suddenly are only getting you ~4500 cycles vs 10,000... Then balance through full range is hot, and you start blowing opener gears apart...

My Ride
    Apex Predator

Don't forget an electrical outlet within 6ft of the jackshaft operator for power.

"She takes premium dude! PREMIUM!!! DUDE!!!!"

Originally posted by AndyL
    Garage would handle a lot wider yet (there's a good 6' on each side of the door)

But wider isn't always better; once you pass 18' really you're getting into a commercial door and costs start escalating exponentially... You start running out of 'residential' operators you can use; start getting into the mid range commercial stuff...
    Yep, I've got an 18x7 door with a residential opener and my buddy has an 18x8. I only saw a 20' door once in a show home but didn't think to look at the opener.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

This is why I can't wait to own a house!

I'd live in my garage.

My Ride
    4x4

Theoretically - you could do even 30x10 with a standard residential opener... Strangely chamberlain/liftmaster no longer show 'max dimensions' - which i find REALLY odd, since commercially once you're past 22' wide you're supposed to be using a dual trolley system.. And a commercial opener makes a residential opener look well... puny

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

be like me and make a concrete garage.

My Ride
    4x4

This weekends project...

From this - smacking a door into a camaro...

Instead we went through the shelf (yep through, carpenter cut a big honkin hole and reframed)

This is a true highlift scenario - had to do things a bit more commercial though - solid keyed shaft & 25,000 cycle springs. The springs put us over capacity on the tube shaft; had to go with a solid keyed shaft - Seen many of these done with a standard tube shaft; unfortunately that'll cost the homeowner in the end...

My Ride
    4x4

Another one down

This one kills me... Is it really that important to save 2$ by using a bushing instead of a proper bearing on a rotating assembly? Installer probably never noticed he crushed it while installing too -

Used 2 bearings and did it the way it should be... (4 springs after conversion)

5 more days then the real whoring begins

My Ride
    4x4

Edit
    Last edited by AndyL; 02-22-2012 at 08:48 AM.

My Ride
    4x4

Today's fun...

Cheap way to make some space available above. Bit of pitch, not exactly the 'right' way to do things, but definitely more affordable

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast