Quantcast
Bono's speech at the Liberal Convention.. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Bono's speech at the Liberal Convention..

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Default Bono's speech at the Liberal Convention..

Anyone watch it ?? What did you think ??
    I was quite suprised that Bono was there in the first place .His speech was pretty good though, and he made some good points. He said some nice things about Canada and Canadians, and thinks that Canadians can make a difference to help poor nations.

His comments about 6500 Africans dying every day sure put petty crap about a looser basketball player's sex life into context.

I guess I was quite impressed by Bono.

Paul Martin appears to be reaching out to the younger voters.

I hope our next government does help Africa in a meaningful way.

Alan
    11 F-150 Supercrew FX4 5.0

His best comment was "I dont know why im here, I dont even like the liberal party"

Default Re: Bono's speech at the Liberal Convention..

Originally posted by fast95pony
    I hope our next government does help Africa in a meaningful way.
    I may be looked upon as an asshole for saying this, but fuck Africa. How many homeless / jobless people are there in Canada? How many low-income families are struggling to get by because the government doesn't have enough public housing?

My opinion, we should help the people in OUR country before we rush to another continent and dump all our money there. Oh, not to mention the fact that Africa is a very war torn place. If they have the money to purchase advanced weapons (which obviously they do), then they can afford they own food as well

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Comparing the poor in Canada to the poor in Africa... that's apples to oranges.

Imagine you're a rich guy in a room. And there's 99 other guys in the room, who are all poor. What do you think will happen to you if you refuse to help anyone? They'll make you help by force.

And the whole "they must be rich if they have guns" - there is rampant corruption in the 3rd world. So there are a very few rich guys who call all the shots, have 100s of servents etc while the rest starve.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

just because there seems to be a lot of guns over in africa doesn't mean they have much money. most of the guns there are russian, and the russians sold their weapons for cheap back in the day to eastern countries. i mean, you can pick up an ak-47 for somethin like 5$ us in africa.
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

Despite the fact that I can't stand the damn Liberals and how they "run" this country, I know that Bono has his own agenda for being there and I applaud him for that.

To hear him talk about Canada though you'd think he'd never noticed us before or something, lol.

Originally posted by dj_honda
    just because there seems to be a lot of guns over in africa doesn't mean they have much money. most of the guns there are russian, and the russians sold their weapons for cheap back in the day to eastern countries. i mean, you can pick up an ak-47 for somethin like 5$ us in africa.
    Not my point actually. Rather, my point is, if they're going to kill each other, then let them, the world is overpopulated as it is. Unless they WANT the help, and can come together, form a decent government and start working on growing their economy, then our money is pretty much wasted, because let's be honest, we buy them food, they eat it, and are still killing each other. How is that supposed to help them?

All I'm saying is, how about we take care of the poor and needy here at home first, before we go spend millions upon millions in Africa.

I agree with Link785.. I think we should help ourselves before we help other countries.. instead of playing the media game and act like we care, meanwhile we have problems of our own that gets overlooked because we're "peacekeeping" in other countries.. it's like a way to get the people of the backs of others.. If everyone knew where their tax dollars goes exactly, I think the views of many issues would change, internationally and nationally.

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

I guess Bono's message didn't get through too well.He doesn't want us to send more money.He wants western governments to forgive the huge debts that the poor African nations owe. That way , they can get back on their own two feet and spend their money on food, heathcare etc.

The majority of African do not own guns.They can barely afford to eat. I agree that we should do more for our own poor and homeless people. But I don't think 6500 Canadians are dying every day from sickness and lack of food.

My Ride
    something green

Bono is a fucking tool...
    Does being a rockstar somehow make him some sort of authority on world conditions, or economic realities....
    How does money to Africa solve anything, maybe Bono would like to tell me how affective the 100 billion we have soaked into aboriginal programs in this country has been, last time I checked, most aboriginals were still living in 3rd world conditions here in Canada.. Money solves nothing, the will to change does, and bono needs to get that through his thick skull..
    Africa has at the whim of its own worst, its not a poor country, its own people commit the atrocities there against its own people, pumping money into there makes no sense, when its one of the world largest diamond exporters, the country generates wealth, it what they do with it is the problem..
    And Bono standing up there, telling every, ok this might get complicated , it about GDP.... Give me a break, the guy doesn't even know what GDP is for fuck sakes... Bono' cause de jour is just a way for him to put his conscience at ease for making hundreds of millions selling records to kids....
    And the Liberals....Same bus different driver... Martin was the clown the clown that signed the cheques for all the dysfunctional and somewhat chaotic governement programs we have now, federal sponsorship grants, in quebec, went across his desk, as did all the cheques for the Gun Registry, human resources, and Radwanskis spending went through him... If you think Martin is goiing to do anyting different , give your head a shake..maxt
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Originally posted by Maxt
    And the Liberals....Same bus different driver... Martin was the clown the clown that signed the cheques for all the dysfunctional and somewhat chaotic governement programs we have now, federal sponsorship grants, in quebec, went across his desk, as did all the cheques for the Gun Registry, human resources, and Radwanskis spending went through him... If you think Martin is goiing to do anyting different , give your head a shake..maxt
    okayyyy..

My post wasn't about the Liberals. I can't stand them either,but until the Conservatives get their act together,who's going to beat them..??

My Ride
    something green

The reason I included the Liberal blurp, is because thats the forum he was in , and bringing in bono as part of the dog and pony show was a lame attempt at attracting youth attention to the party... I hope our youth are smarter than to take his emotional spew to heart..Gee bono save the world from your 1000.oo sunglasses, and spend it on the cause you ask everyone else to sacrifice for....Boner, not bono....Cheap drugs for aids, hmmm well think about it like this, they need to get their act together in terms of lifestyle, drug problems etc etc, you don't need money to keep your dick in your pants, and you don't need money to not get addicted to drugs...The Liberal way is to enable the problematic lifestyle, rather than to get to the core root of it.. The problem with treatment by the way of drugs, is that those that are infected, now live longer and thus wihtout a change of the other factors that got them and others infected , it increases the odds of the hiv + positive population growing and becomin a larger epedemic...Put the cart before the horse....
    The liberals run a real risk of beating themselves....Martin has made so many promises and talked down the policies he helped to implement, without having to answer for those statements in the house, when he does get to the house, he is goiing to be standing on a pretty thin plank in front of all the opposition parties, he has been spewing what the public wants to hear, but is gonna have to deliver, which he can't it, it undermines what keeps the Liberals in power, and thats control of the country in very undemocratic way...Maxt
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    GTI

Can't stand the ignorant posts here, first of all, Africa is not a country, it's a continent.

Second of all, of course the money other nations are sending them won't make any difference, they use it to make products that the countries that send them money refuse to buy.

What doesn't make Bono's voice important, he's been doing this kind of stuff for almost 20 years. I'm pretty sure that over the span of 2 decades of being as involved as he is that he's picked up a few things...

Next, the fact of the matter is every body in Canada has a chance to help themselves, the shelters are there, the financial aid is there.

Africa is a shit hole and it needs help.

My Ride
    something green

What doesn't make bono's voice important, is the fact that he has been doing the same thing for 20 years, barking up the wrong tree obviously...
    The fact the guy can belt out a good tune does not add any credibility to his view of what is appropriate action in terms of solving the problems of the 3rd world, to me, its more of a reflection of his shallowness, that he equates everything to money..
    Next, the fact of the matter is every body in Canada has a chance to help themselves, the shelters are there, the financial aid is there
    Very good, do you see the error in bono's way yet....Maxt
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    GTI

Kind of true, but they still do need more money, he has good intentions though, honestly I wasn't thinking about his argument, just some of the things said bothered me.

They do need more money, but it could be better spent in Africa, money does solve problems, but it depends on how you use it. Blindly throwing money in won't help, needs to be more structure.

The problem isn't that they can't be helped, problem is that most countries don't want to help, it's an illusion of aid for the most part, small parts of the world control the entire world market and they intend to keep it that way.

Financially, a succesful nation in Africa won't help Canada, or the U.S, or any of the other 1st world countries. The more poor ass nations there are the better it is for the large markets.