Quantcast
need dealership advice: used car negotiations and inspection - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: need dealership advice: used car negotiations and inspection

Default need dealership advice: used car negotiations and inspection

hi guys,

i'm about to buy a used '09 Sonata Limited V6 (don't care what y'all think, fucking awesome car for the $, especially with the redesigned interior). The car is located at a large dealership out of the province.

anyhow, I am curious if you guys could give me some advice on how to deal with used car sales at a large dealership. How negotiable are these guys on the price? is there room to bargain, or are these guys pretty firm? it's just that i WOULD pay the asking price, but am always looking to save some cash if possible. Is there a certain percentage of the asking price I should try to bargain with?

also, last time i bought a used car, i took it into a dealership to get an inspection before I bought it. in this case, it's one of those pre-certified cars from the dealer. do you guys think i need an inspection in that case?

thanks!
    Last edited by nonlinear; 10-29-2009 at 10:38 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If it comes with some warranty, and this one should, the pre-purchase inspecton is probably a waste. Assuming this is from a reputable dealer, like the Hyundai dealer.

As for how much they'll negotiate, it depends on a lot of factors.
    1) how long they've had it
    2) what they paid for it
    3) how accuratley they can read you attitude that "you'll pay full price" if you have it.
    4) how hard you work for it.

I like using salesmanship on the salesman. Try using phrases like "if you can do it for X, then I'll buy it right now." Or, emphasise that there are several similar models for sale at other dealerships and privately, and that you are planning on driving more of those this afternoon/tomorrow.
    Always tell them you aren't in a hurry for new wheels and that you are waiting for the right price before you make your move.
    Also, if you are buyng cash, or have very good credit, don't hesitate to mention that to them. Make that sale seem more certain.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

One thing to keep in mind when negotiating the price is the fact that because it's from another province, when you get it here you will have to put it through an out of province inspection which will probably cost you $100 - $150.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    One thing to keep in mind when negotiating the price is the fact that because it's from another province, when you get it here you will have to put it through an out of province inspection which will probably cost you $100 - $150.
    Only if its over 5000 km (I know, chances are that its higher than that)

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by Abeo

Only if its over 5000 km (I know, chances are that its higher than that)
    Careful there, only in certain situations. If the vehicle was sold & registered and then traded back in then the OP will still need the OOP inspection. If the vehicle was a dealer demo (with less than 5000 km) then he won't. Either way the OP should contact a registry to be sure.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Give them a one-time, take it or leave it offer.

Ask for a price that includes all fees and taxes, including GST, then offer them 10% less than what they quote you. Be prepared to walk away if they say no, you will have lost all bargaining power at that point so be reasonable with your offer.

My Ride

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Careful there, only in certain situations. If the vehicle was sold & registered and then traded back in then the OP will still need the OOP inspection. If the vehicle was a dealer demo (with less than 5000 km) then he won't. Either way the OP should contact a registry to be sure.
    I had to do an OOP on my truck when I moved here, it had 8000 km on it, the registry office told me that 5000 km is the cutoff when a 'new' car stops being new. Either way, you are right, OP should contact the registry office.

My Ride
    fast and red.

There's no real way to no how much they paid, or how much margin they expect, so the logical thing to do is lowball them, but make it clear you're serious about buying a car today, whether it's from them or somebody else. Also doesn't hurt to hit them on a slow day (weekday rainy mornings work well)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I re-read the original post, and it sounds like the OP has pertty much decided on a particular car, from a particular dealer.
    If that's correct, then you have very little leverage.

That's not exactly a rare car, look carefully at the local inventory so you can at least have some options.
    I like the looks of this one:
    http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ155656608
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Just went through this at a dealership. I offered them a fair market price compairable to other similar models that were for sale at the time. They came back explaining that they had x dollars into the car and couldn't sell it for any less. So I left.

They called me two days later and had magically dropped the price below their 'cost' lol.

Don't beleive a word they say and have a fair price in mind and stick to it and don't be affraid to walk away.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I re-read the original post, and it sounds like the OP has pertty much decided on a particular car, from a particular dealer.
    If that's correct, then you have very little leverage.

That's not exactly a rare car, look carefully at the local inventory so you can at least have some options.
    I like the looks of this one:
    http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ155656608
    that looks almost like the car i'm getting, except mine is v6 (woot) and limited trim.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

First question I would ask is why do they already have a used 09? Was it a service loaner, rental car, bank repo? Find out the back story, that will help you in your decision and what a fair offering price should be. I know in new Hyundais, there are barely any margins. I would suspect that they probably have about 2-4K gross in this car being that it's used since there is generally a bit more gross available in used vehicles. As for the time of day, weather, day of the week etc. That will not get you a better deal, at the end of the day it's all about dollars and cents. Lowballing is always not the best negotiating tactic either, often that can cause more issues. The biggest advantage that you have right now as an interested buyer is that the dealership doesn't know you're an interested buyer, make them silly offer and you've shown them your cards, they now know your interested and if you dick around with them they will dick around with you. Do some research and find out what similar cars are going for, get the backstory on this one, look at your budget then submit your offer from there.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB