Quantcast
15yr old boy lit on fire - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 15yr old boy lit on fire

My Ride
    charger R/T w R&T, soon 2010 camaro

Default 15yr old boy lit on fire

UPDATE: Transcripts from the 911 call and pleas from a shameless lawyer. See update after the jump...

Something went very wrong for 15-year-old Michael Brewer on Sunday. Relatives say he stopped another kid from stealing his father's bike, but he was scared enough by the incident that he refused to attend classes at his Deerfield Beach, Florida middle school on Monday.

Instead, he went to an apartment complex to visit a friend. As he was sitting by the pool, someone came up and doused him with a flammable liquid, then set him ablaze. A neighbor heard the screams and put out the fire with an extinguisher. Michael survived, but he's expected to be hospitalized for five months with massive burns over his torso, arms, and face.

One kid was arrested Sunday over the bike incident. Three more juveniles are in custody today.

UPDATE: The reason Michael Brewer was set ablaze was a senseless as the crime itself: He hadn't paid up on a video game he bought.

According to Sergeant Steve Feeley of the Broward County Sheriff's Office, here's how it went down:

Michael owed 15-year-old Matthew Bent $40 for a video game, but hadn't paid up. So on Sunday, Bent tried to steal Michael's dad's bike as compensation. Micheal thwarted the theft, and his family called the cops. Bent was arrested.

But he was sent home after a brief stay in juvie. Michael skipped school Monday, fearing payback. Bent didn't go to school either.

Monday afternoon, Michael went over to the Lime Street Apartments to visit a friend. Bent just happened to be there as well. Michael was sitting by the pool when he was surrounded by five boys: Bent, Denver Colorado Jarvis, 15; his brother Jeremy Jarvis, 13; Steven Shelton, 15; and Jesus Mendez, 15.

They grabbed a bottle of rubbing alcohol they found and surrounded Michael. Bent called him a rat. Michael tried to leave but couldn't. Bent ordered the rubbing alcohol poured on Michael. Denver Jarvis doused him with the fluid, then Mendez set him on fire.

Michael with his friend Nikki and his Malissa
    ​There are differing accounts of what happened after that. Some say a neighbor subdued the flames with a fire extinguishers. Others say Michael ran to the pool and jumped into the water. Either way, he was helicoptered to a Miami hospital, where he's suffering from burns over 80 percent of his body.

At first the boys showed scant regret. "A couple of them last night were laughing about it," Feeley said. But they're beginning to realize laughter will be more spare in the days to come. All five are currently being held in juvenile jail. And some -- if not all -- are almost certain to be tried as adults.

See new MySpace page set up for Michael.

UPDATE II: Michael is on a ventilator at a Miami hospital, and his burns remain life-threatening.

That's the word from Dr.Nicholas Namias, head of the burn unit at Jackson Memorial Hospital. He says Michael suffered burns over 65 percent of his body. While his face is in fairly good shape, doctors still don't know how much of his arms, legs and fingers he'll be able to use down the road.

"The body was just not intended to be set on fire," Namias told WPLG-TV in a moment of serious understatement.

Due to the extensive burning, Michael remains a risk for infection. Doctors are also expecting organ failures. And because so much of his body was burned, they believe it will be hard to conduct skin grafts to repair damaged areas, since grafting best succeeds when the patient's own skin is used.

"We need skin to replace the burned skin, and despite the modern technologies, there's no good replacement for your own skin," Namias said. "I would say that his young age goes in his favor, but the size of the burn, the depth of the burn, and the fact that he probably inhaled some smoke during his burn is against him."

UPDATE III: Transcripts from a woman's 911 call, and a shameless lawyer pleads for Jeremy Jarvis' release.

"A little boy just caught on fire and he jumped inside of the swimming pool," a female caller tells 911. Screams are then heard in the background as the woman tries to comfort Michael. "You're going to be OK, sweetheart."

The woman asks Michael what happened to him. "Somebody poured stuff on me," he says.

Then she returns to talk to dispatch: "There's fire. There's fire on the grass. He doesn't know who threw what on him."

The paramedics can be heard arriving as the woman tells them what happened. "There was a ball of fire by the entrance, and he was lit. He just ran and ran inside the pool. He was on fire."

In related news, Steve Melnick, the lawyer for 13-year-old Jeremy Jarvis, is pleading for his release. In a bold step of lawyerly shamelessness, he says his client has been traumatized by the attack, and needs to be at home with his family.

"He is a 13-year-old child," Melnick says. "I don't know of his involvement in this case, but from reading just the police reports, it appears that his involvement was on the periphery and wasn't directly involved in this horrible attack on Michael Brewer. And if so, he needs to maybe be home with his parents and begin counseling and therapy because he witnessed a horrible attack."

Melnick contends the kid has been crying non-stop since his arrest.

What he neglects to mention is that Jarvis is traumatized by an attack he helped cause. And despite his supposed regret, deputies say the only boy to show remorse after the incident was Jesus Mendez, the kid who actually lit Michael aflame. The rest -- including Jarvis -- were heard laughing about the assault after their arrests.
    link

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

I honestly can't stand to read or see these types of posts, They are just so heart retching

My Ride
    Bicycle

All over a $40 video game? In the old days, a fist fight would've settled it.

My Ride
    charger R/T w R&T, soon 2010 camaro

jesus set him on fire

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

$40 for a used game seems a bit pricey, I wonder if he could have Beyond-lowballed him down to $20 and paid him the money, sans the fire.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Wow. Just fucking wow.

My Ride
    G37S

nvm. was to anxious to post reply.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by banned3x
    jesus set him on fire
    "He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire" Matt. 3:11; Luke 3:16
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by ReflexFX
    nvm. was to anxious to post reply.
    You definitely caught the main message in this story. Good job. EDIT: Nice ninja edit.

Shit like this is disgusting. Some of these kids are fucked up beyond repair. Who lights someone on fire over a video game? Pure idiotic, bottom of the IQ barrel humans.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

Why didnt he, you know... just jump in the pool?

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

wtf, seriously. kids these days.

Last edited by J NRG; 10-21-2009 at 01:13 PM.
    Beyond
    belief
    reason
    but not beyond puberty.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

I read this story earlier this week, what disgusts me more is that investigators said that the kids were laughing while they were detained and being interviewed. They may be 15, but I think they should all be tried as adults, some insane kids.

Originally posted by J NRG
    How does a story like this get out with all the minors names in print???
    No privacy laws in the US for minors, like their is in Canada.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Originally posted by sgt_hawk
    Why didnt he, you know... just jump in the pool?

As he was sitting by the pool,
    That's what I was thinking....

Last edited by kaput; 04-03-2019 at 07:06 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I see that someone is trying out to become the next mafia don?

That's disturbing.

Speedy recovery to Michael.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    All over a $40 video game? In the old days, a fist fight would've settled it.

Lazy kids.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I too wonder what happened to the days where even kids were respectable enough to settle petty differences with a good fight. So you maybe get a black eye, a split lip, sore muscles, but I remember that at least bullies and kids when I was in school had an unwritten code of honor... if he's down, that's it, the fight is over, the difference is settled, the debt is paid.

It's stories like these that make me wonder if I will ever want to have kids. I know, in my heart, that I want little Vagabonds running around, pooping their diapers and generally making my life hell... but I worry about the society that they are going to be introduced to :\
    Geek

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Vagabond142
    It's stories like these that make me wonder if I will ever want to have kids. I know, in my heart, that I want little Vagabonds running around, pooping their diapers and generally making my life hell... but I worry about the society that they are going to be introduced to :\

I've been thinking the same thing for a number of years now. It's only getting worse too.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Kids dont call eachother name anymore? Make comments about each other's mothers? Maybe throw a punch or 2? lol

This is just plain fucked! Watch this kid turn into two-face and start killing them one by one! lol
    Beyond's Most Wanted

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast