Quantcast
Barbell Curl vs Dumbbell Curl - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Barbell Curl vs Dumbbell Curl

My Ride
    '01 Celica GT, '93 Integra, '99 Civic Si

Default Barbell Curl vs Dumbbell Curl

Which is the better bicep workout? Would doing both have better results over choosing one?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Re: Barbell Curl vs Dumbbell Curl

Originally posted by MikeAg
    Which is the better bicep workout? Would doing both have better results over choosing one?
    Do you have big arms already?

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Default Re: Barbell Curl vs Dumbbell Curl

Originally posted by MikeAg
    neither. do chin ups.

My Ride

Default Re: Re: Barbell Curl vs Dumbbell Curl

Originally posted by b_t

neither. do chin ups.
    My thoughts exactly.

Unless you already have big arms with a solid muscle bass, bicep curls of any sort won't get you the results you're looking for.

Both are good, but as said above, your best work will come from heavy compounds, such as chins and rows

Barbell curls are going to add more size to your arm but you have to make sure you dont cheat or hurt your self by swinging the weight and using your back to move the weight.

Dumbbell curls are going to give you more shape. But if your starting off I would say stick to chin ups and once you feel like you got a strong base then move up to weights.

My Ride
    Canyonero

what makes chinups that much better?

My Ride

Originally posted by dharminder
    Barbell curls are going to add more size to your arm but you have to make sure you dont cheat or hurt your self by swinging the weight and using your back to move the weight.

Dumbbell curls are going to give you more shape. But if your starting off I would say stick to chin ups and once you feel like you got a strong base then move up to weights.
    I don't think either will give anyone size unless they have a solid mass-building regimen and diet already in place. And, no offence to the OP, but if the OP is asking which is better it's unlikely that he's got either the routine nor the diet in place.

Originally posted by prae
    Chin ups are a compound movement in that they require more than just the biceps to complete the motion. When you do a chin up you're working the bicep as well as the shoulders and back. Working more than one muscle group at a time stimulates muscle growth/mass gain. It's why a squat is such an amazing weight-gainer, and why dead lifts are done by just about every serious trainer around.

Adding weight to chins is a MUCH better bicep exercise than a bicep curl, though it doesn't isolate. If you're at the point size-wise that it's time to start isolating to start "sculpting" the muscles, then bicep curls maybe come into play.

In the solid year that I've been training well I've seen some of the same guys at the gym for 6+ months doing the same routine, looking the same and lifting the same weights. I laugh at them, but only because I was once that guy. Ignorance isn't always bliss. In this case, it's keeping these guys from reaching their fitness potential.

Hell, my workout routine right now doesn't even have bicep curls in it. Yet, my biceps and triceps are well defined and bigger than 90% of people out there.

Not only that, but think about how much more weight you're able to move with a compound lift (like a bent over row, for example). I can bicep curl 60lbs an arm, but I can row nearly three times that. What's more impressive from both an appearance standpoint as well as a personal gratification standpoint? Being able to curl 35lbs, or being able to row 135lbs?

Not only that, but you get the physique to match. Do a bajillion different bicep curl variations and sure you may have strong, well-defined arms (not necessarily big arms), but you won't have the back, shoudlers, chest, or core to match.

Your body is a whole unit. Train it that way.

</rant>

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

Originally posted by A790

I don't think either will give anyone size unless they have a solid mass-building regimen and diet already in place. And, no offence to the OP, but if the OP is asking which is better it's unlikely that he's got either the routine nor the diet in place.

Chin ups are a compound movement in that they require more than just the biceps to complete the motion. When you do a chin up you're working the bicep as well as the shoulders and back. Working more than one muscle group at a time stimulates muscle growth/mass gain. It's why a squat is such an amazing weight-gainer, and why dead lifts are done by just about every serious trainer around.

Adding weight to chins is a MUCH better bicep exercise than a bicep curl, though it doesn't isolate. If you're at the point size-wise that it's time to start isolating to start &quot;sculpting&quot; the muscles, then bicep curls maybe come into play.

In the solid year that I've been training well I've seen some of the same guys at the gym for 6+ months doing the same routine, looking the same and lifting the same weights. I laugh at them, but only because I was once that guy. Ignorance isn't always bliss. In this case, it's keeping these guys from reaching their fitness potential.

Hell, my workout routine right now doesn't even have bicep curls in it. Yet, my biceps and triceps are well defined and bigger than 90% of people out there.

Not only that, but think about how much more weight you're able to move with a compound lift (like a bent over row, for example). I can bicep curl 60lbs an arm, but I can row nearly three times that. What's more impressive from both an appearance standpoint as well as a personal gratification standpoint? Being able to curl 35lbs, or being able to row 135lbs?

Not only that, but you get the physique to match. Do a bajillion different bicep curl variations and sure you may have strong, well-defined arms (not necessarily big arms), but you won't have the back, shoudlers, chest, or core to match.

Your body is a whole unit. Train it that way.

&lt;/rant&gt;
    Well said. I work at a gym right now and I can't help but laugh at the guys doing the same routine day after day. And the funniest part is the curls. Guys curling 60 lb dumbbells swinging all their weight.

Think practicality as well. A multi-joint or compound exercise is much more efficient and well rounded. I can't remember the last time I did a curl. However when you compare my arms and back to someone of relative size they are massive. I have to admit though i prefer wide grip pullups to chinups. So my back grew much more so then arms.

What's the best way to add weight to yourself for chins/dips? Do you guys use a belt with a chain that you attach plates to or is there something better?

My Ride
    Canyonero

Originally posted by Mixalot27
    What's the best way to add weight to yourself for chins/dips? Do you guys use a belt with a chain that you attach plates to or is there something better?
    aka dip belt... or you can try and hold a dumbell between your ankles.

im laughing at this thread. barbell curl, dumbbell curl, its all the same shit. your arms aren't going to grow just if you switch to dumbell from barbell or vice versa. your arms should be getting a great workout with doing your entire body split chest/shoulders/traps/back etc. hell some pro bbers dont even have arm days.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Multi joint movements = Testosterone and Growth Hormone secretion.

Enough said.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Originally posted by Mixalot27
    dip belt; you could hold a db with your feet, but that's kind of silly. dip belt is easiest and best.

Originally posted by dharminder
    Barbell curls are going to add more size to your arm

Dumbbell curls are going to give you more shape.
    no; they're equivilent in the long-run, and dbs have nothing to do with shape. Shape is purely genetic.

Originally posted by prae
    heavy compound movement. Kinda like why squatting is better than, say, leg curls.

Originally posted by hattonlynch
    im laughing at this thread. barbell curl, dumbbell curl, its all the same shit. your arms aren't going to grow just if you switch to dumbell from barbell or vice versa. your arms should be getting a great workout with doing your entire body split chest/shoulders/traps/back etc. hell some pro bbers dont even have arm days.
    Heyyyyyyyyy, how come you never wrote back in the other thread