Quantcast
H1N1 Vaccine - will you get it? do you trust it? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Will you get the H1N1 Vaccine?

Voters
379. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I don't want to die from a pig sneeze

94 24.80%
  • No, it really isn't any different than any conventional flu, I'm fine.

285 75.20%
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: H1N1 Vaccine - will you get it? do you trust it?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Default Re: Re: H1N1 Vaccine - will you get it? do you trust it?

Originally posted by TKRIS
    I normally don't get the flu shot because I'm lazy, but I have a kid, and it would be incredibly irresponsible of me to not do everything in my power to protect her from getting the flu. It would probably be an inconvenience for me, it could be substantially more dangerous for a 2 year old.

If someone wants to play it fast and loose with their own life, I could give a shit.
    But when you have kids, your responsibility doesn't begin and end only with your own well being, and I think that's an obligation we should take very seriously. I believe you have the obligation to take care of your kids to the best of your ability, even if that comes at the expense of personal principles.

To channel Brian Dunning:
    If you're getting unsolicited medical advice from people with no medical expertise, and it goes against the consensus of both the medical and the scientific communities, you should be skeptical.
    QFT!
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Default Re: H1N1 Vaccine - will you get it? do you trust it?

Originally posted by barmanjay
    Just going through my emails this morning, and got one from my mom and my sister, not the same email,.. but with the same underlying statements that the vaccine has more detrimental health problems than the flu itself.

Both my mom and sister are quite active with staying informed about all health issues.

http://www.mercola.com/article/swine...u-Update-2.htm

Thoughts?

I'll tell you, that I won't get the vaccine till a proper study has been done; taking a vaccine that has been pushed through the medical system in record time is playing russian roulette.
    You ALL might want to read this article found in the latest issue of Wired Magazine.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/10/ff_waronscience
    Last edited by sputnik; 10-21-2009 at 03:32 PM.

The H1N1 vaccine is created and tested in the same way that ALL other flu vaccines have been done. There are no greater safety concerns or risks for actually catching the h1n1 flu. That cannot happen.

The only risk is that you get the shot and it doesn't work. The likelihood of H1N1 is since it is targeted DIRECTLY at that specific strain, is that it will work. The regular flu this year, on the other hand, is not a good match for the strains out there. After getting both shots, the likelihood of catching regular flu is MUCH higher than H1N1....

Go to www.bccdc.ca for the BEST research and info. They inform the provincial government on infectious diseases and h1n1, guidlines for vaccine sequencing and distribution.

Stop reading shitty blogs on the intartubes and do your research from credible sources as posted above.

Don't get vaccinated to protect yourself, do it to protect others around you like the elderly, sick and weak. Herd immunity.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    ^

"Fast and loose"? Have you actually read up on the H1N1 at all? The only people who have complications from it are people who have previous existing medical conditions.
    Getting the flu is a complication.
    I stated repeatedly that I don't think it's likely to be a game changer for anyone here, just that it can be for young kids.

You're <6 month old child is has no more danger from the H1N1, than a normal flu.
    You do realize that the flu (any flu) can be very, very dangerous for babies right?
    And that all predictions indicate that there's a far, far greater likelihood of them catching this particular strain of flu?

Yes you should protect your children at all costs, but what if the vaccine backfires (as flu vaccines have been know to do on occation), and it give you the full out flu, instead of vaccination?
    First off, IMS, there's no live virus in this vaccine.
    Secondly, what indications are there that this is likely?

Maybe you shouldn't leave your house today, because giant balls of shit have fallen from airplanes and you might get hit with one...

One more time: I haven't found a single compelling reason to indicate that the potential side effects outweigh the benefits.
    I don't find baseless speculation and bullshit particularly convincing.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV
    Both my wife and I will be getting the flu shot. More because I have a 4 month old who can't get any form of flu shots, and it was told to us by our family doctor that it would be irresponsible parenting on our part not to get the flu shots to protect her.
    A common story, unfortunately.

The truth is, that the flu is rarely seriously harmful to healthy infants, although the docs will try all sorts of statistical tricks to make the case.

OTOH, it IS harmful to old people, whose immune systems are weakening.... and as children are a common vector for the flu, children are being immunized not for their own protection, but for the protection of the elderly.

The flu is one of the worst shots out there, to my mind: It often causes flu-like symptoms for several days, yet doesn't prevent the flu, only mitigates the symtoms. And only for a year, when you will need another shot that may or may not make you sick, and may or may not prevent you from getting sick.

To add to that, the flu shot is one of the only remaining shots that contains mercury (Although mercury free versions are increasingly more available)

Vaccines, by and large, are a money making racket for big pharma. There's very few vaccines that I would consider worth the risk.

My Ride

^I'm almost 100% certain what he said is wrong, but I'm not going to take him off my ignore list to find out. Can I get some confirmation here?

My Ride
    Audi

I've gotten the seasonal flu shot every year since I was hospitalized & near death because of the flu. My family will get the seasonal flu shot. However i'm the only one who will probably get the H1N1 vaccine as certain groups are recommended not to get it.

My Ride

Originally posted by hampstor
    I've gotten the seasonal flu shot every year since I was hospitalized & near death because of the flu.
    Wait a minute, I thought the flu was no big deal, and it didn't really matter if your 4 month old baby got it??

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

You do realize that the flu (any flu) can be very, very dangerous for babies right?
    And that all predictions indicate that there's a far, far greater likelihood of them catching this particular strain of flu?

You do realize, I never said any flu WASN'T very, very dangerous for babies, right? I just stated it's no MORE dangerous than any other flu for babies.

Secondly, what indications are there that this is likely?
    There are none, it was just a question.

Maybe you shouldn't leave your house today, because giant balls of shit have fallen from airplanes and you might get hit with one...
    Maybe I should leave my house, because one of those smurf cubes might come crashing though my living room, right where I'm sitting!

Good for you! Neither do I, I just use my own NORMAL judgement to point me in the direction that is right for me. I also don't try to force my opinion down other people throat's online like some members here do.

Seriously, all the posting, and "arguing" you do, I've noticed the same thing. You are right, and everyone who opposes you is wrong. Period, end of story.

I think, you just like the looks of your own text on screentop, but I digress, please, continue your opinion shoving, instead of having an adult debate where your mind might actually accept someone else could be right. I think it's about time I just added you to my ignore list anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Audi

Wait a minute, I thought the flu was no big deal, and it didn't really matter if your 4 month old baby got it??

what, when did I say that I never thought the flu was a big deal! My wife & son probably will not get the H1N1 vaccine (i believe it was actually a recommendation from her doctor?) but I will.

Am I the only one on Beyond that was actually diagnosed and hospitalized by this LOL?
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by JAYMEZ
    Am I the only one on Beyond that was actually diagnosed and hospitalized by this LOL?
    whatttt!?
    You had it?
    Was it gnarly or wat lol?
    i think i had it but i just toughed it out and drank alot of rye lol..

My Ride

You do realize, I never said any flu WASN'T very, very dangerous for babies, right? I just stated it's no MORE dangerous than any other flu for babies.
    I would argue that the fact that it's much, much more likely that they'll catch this flu makes it more dangerous.
    There are none, it was just a question.
    Great. So it is, like I said, pure speculation...

Maybe I should leave my house, because one of those smurf cubes might come crashing though my living room, right where I'm sitting!

Good for you! Neither do I, I just use my own NORMAL judgement to point me in the direction that is right for me. I also don't try to force my opinion down other people throat's online like some members here do.

Seriously, all the posting, and "arguing" you do, I've noticed the same thing. You are right, and everyone who opposes you is wrong. Period, end of story.
    I think, you just like the looks of your own text on screentop, but I digress, please, continue your opinion shoving, instead of having an adult debate where your mind might actually accept someone else could be right. I think it's about time I just added you to my ignore list anyways.

My Ride

Originally posted by hampstor

what, when did I say that I never thought the flu was a big deal! My wife & son probably will not get the H1N1 vaccine (i believe it was actually a recommendation from her doctor?) but I will.
    Sorry.
    Wasn't directed at you, but at those who are saying "pffft. It's just a flu. Don't bother worrying about it."

Yah I got it coming back from Vegas or Winnipeg.. It hit me hard , and I got pneumonia .. I also gave it to my friend Mercedes :p . DOH!

It hit really fast , made me cough like i had water in my lungs.. It made me gag and puke ummm... I was sweating my balls off....

What else... oh , getting the swab test shoved up your nose.. yahhhh didnt like that very much.

Apart from that , it was just like a flu.

I took Cephalexin and Advils , and it slowly went away.

The one thing to note.. it hit me FAST! I went for a nap , woke up a few hours later , and i had a high fever and wanted to faint.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

Getting the flu is a complication.

One more time: I haven't found a single compelling reason to indicate that the potential side effects outweigh the benefits.
    TKRIS, there's a hysterical, dogmatic, dismissive tone to your messages. Clearly you feel strongly about your position, but your responses convey a lot of passion, and little understanding.

I do, however, encourage you to get both of your yearly flu shots.

Apart from that , it was just like a flu.
    Were you hospitalized because what the illness was doing to you, or because of the doctors perception of its potential severity?

^^ My dads a doctor .. It was because of my high temp , and I couldn't eat. It was only an over nighter.. The rest of the time I bummed around and watched TVs and lost alot of weight because of my sweating.. it was a pretty good diet IMO lol

My Ride
    Bicycle

^^ it was a pretty good diet IMO lol
    hmm, I should get myself some H1N1......

I don't know, it was the conflicting report on standard and H1N1 vaccine that kinda scare me. I have no contact to kids so I don't think I'm at risk anyway.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-21-2009 at 04:50 PM.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

^I'm almost 100% certain what he said is wrong, but I'm not going to take him off my ignore list to find out. Can I get some confirmation here?
    Confirmed. Usual tinfoil, Big Pharma, general lack of understanding of the topic at hand.

I'll be getting my shot as usual. I think I accidentally chose the wrong option in the poll, though. All those vaccines have obviously affected my brain.

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast