Quantcast
My first DSLR purchase. Comments? Tips? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My first DSLR purchase. Comments? Tips?

My Ride
    2016 Focus RS - Stealth Grey

Default My first DSLR purchase :) Comments? Tips?

So I spent some time in The Camera Store this week trying to get a handle on everything that's available out there for me. I'm just going to be shooting cars, indoors, outside, close up for scratches and show offy type completed pictures.

This is what Larry there recommended for me.

Canon EOS Rebel T1I w/ 17-85 $1374.56
    Canon EF 100mm F2.8 USM Macro $731.25
    Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II $123.75

So he gave me $50 off for a grand total of $2288.54 which is pretty close to where I was planning on spending. Then I found a nice leather bag geared for women which was $200.

I went outside with the setups he priced for me and went wild taking pictures of everything in the parking lot and the difference from my S3IS is just... stunning. But that's to be expected from a nice point and shoot to a quality DSLR set up :p

So with a majority of the members here doing a large quantity of vehicle photography, is this a set up you'd recommend? Are these prices ok?
    Will I need anything else for shooting inside my shop here?

Thanks for your input guys I look forward to having some quality pictures to share and be all medium core (hard core to come much later lol)

Renee
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Tiburon, Hachiroku, AE92 GT-S, Sonata

You can definitely get decent car shots with that setup. But I'm confused as to why he recommended the 100 macro over something like the 70-200 F/4? I mean, I know you said "closeup of scratches" but you definitely don't need anywhere NEAR 1:1 magnification for a scratch or detail of a car unless you are trying to show individual fibres in the upholstery. Maybe because the canon 100 macro is now discontinued and been replaced, and they're trying to get rid of their stock?

My Ride

I'm not to sure, but I was testing it on their scratched up display case, and it definitely was close up! I felt like I could see the individual plastic particles
    Maybe a bit to close?

My Ride
    2022 X2M

I am probably going to get hammered for writing this but have you considered a Nikon D90 instead?

For the amount of money you are spending IMO that would be a better starting system for you then a T1, but again thats just my opinion.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride

Originally posted by inline6turbo
    I'm not to sure, but I was testing it on their scratched up display case, and it definitely was close up! I felt like I could see the individual plastic particles
    Maybe a bit to close?
    Yeah, that is too close to be practical for car photography. Not that it's a BAD thing to have that kind of closeup ability, but it's not very useful for taking pics of cars. The 17-85 can do a quasi macro which is MORE than enough to show details of a car.

Honestly, I would return the 100 macro and get a 70-200 f/4 USM. Unless you are going to start taking photos of insects and other macro subjects.

Originally posted by Kavy
    I am probably going to get hammered for writing this but have you considered a Nikon D90 instead?

For the amount of money you are spending IMO that would be a better starting system for you then a T1, but again thats just my opinion.
    Ya I was kind of thinking tha too.

The only reasons I can think of for going with the T1i is because the OP mentioned they liked the ergonomics (which can certainly be a deal breaker), or they were misinformed by someone at TCS. For that price you could even get a D300s and a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which would handle macro as well.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Then I found a nice leather bag geared for women

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Default Re: My first DSLR purchase :) Comments? Tips?

So I spent some time in The Camera Store this week trying to get a handle on everything that's available out there for me. I'm just going to be shooting cars, indoors, outside, close up for scratches and show offy type completed pictures.

This is what Larry there recommended for me.

Canon EOS Rebel T1I w/ 17-85 $1374.56
    Canon EF 100mm F2.8 USM Macro $731.25
    Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II $123.75

So he gave me $50 off for a grand total of $2288.54 which is pretty close to where I was planning on spending. Then I found a nice leather bag geared for women which was $200.

I went outside with the setups he priced for me and went wild taking pictures of everything in the parking lot and the difference from my S3IS is just... stunning. But that's to be expected from a nice point and shoot to a quality DSLR set up :p

So with a majority of the members here doing a large quantity of vehicle photography, is this a set up you'd recommend? Are these prices ok?
    Will I need anything else for shooting inside my shop here?

Thanks for your input guys I look forward to having some quality pictures to share and be all medium core (hard core to come much later lol)

Renee
    Congrats! Nice camera, look forward to seeing some of your work.

First thought is he's just trying to sell you gear. If that list is all the things that you're using the camera for, ditch the 100 and the 50 and get yourself a tripod. That would be a much better use of money. As Accent said, the 100 macro is for... well macros. And the 50 on a crop body is pretty useless for car shots. The wide end of the 17-85 is much more useful, and with the lens stopped down and using a tripod, you should be able to get some excellent shots.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

I was wondering how long the Nikon fanboys would take to say "you should have..." Lol.

Anyways, good set-up. Did he mention the 17-55mm 2.8 instead of the two listed? Shoot in RAW and have fun!
    Last edited by syeve; 10-23-2009 at 10:09 AM.

Originally posted by syeve
    I was wondering how long the Nikon fanboys would take to say "you should have..." Lol.

Anyways, good set-up. Did he mention the 17-55mm 2.8 instead of the two listed? Shoot in RAW and have fun!
    While its no secret that many of us on here are a huge fan of Nikon's current offerings, if something is definitely better than another, it isn't Fanboyism, IMO. Its like if I called you a Canon fanboy for saying your Canon DSLR is better than my camera phone, or a Ferrari fanboy for saying your Ferrari was better than my Sunfire. Extreme examples, I know, but something can be better than something else or the better choice for reasons other than "fanboyism". If you removed brand names and all that, one is still objectively better than the other . The exceptions, of course, are subjective things like ergonomics/comfort - if it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work.

As mentioned before, it really looked like the guy at TCS was trying to make a bigger sale rather than give the OP the best equipment for the money/application.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-23-2009 at 10:49 AM.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

While its no secret that many of us on here are a huge fan of Nikon's current offerings, if something is definitely better than another, it isn't Fanboyism, IMO. Its like if I called you a Canon fanboy for saying your Canon DSLR is better than my camera phone, or a Ferrari fanboy for saying your Ferrari was better than my Sunfire. Extreme examples, I know, but something can be better than something else or the better choice for reasons other than "fanboyism". If you removed brand names and all that, one is still objectively better than the other . The exceptions, of course, are subjective things like ergonomics/comfort - if it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work.

As mentioned before, it really looked like the guy at TCS was trying to make a bigger sale rather than give the OP the best equipment for the money/application.
    WHoaw...I was just kidding! Can you not sense my canon-fanboyism? Furthermore, I completely agree with you, IMO I would have opted for an external flash and one good lense (eg. Canon 17-55mm) Vs. having three lenses that are just OK.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

On the topic of macro lenses. I find that my 17-55 has too far of a mfd to shoot jewelry. Am I better off getting an extension tube or the 100mm f2.8 above?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Originally posted by syeve

WHoaw...I was just kidding! Can you not sense my canon-fanboyism? Furthermore, I completely agree with you, IMO I would have opted for an external flash and one good lense (eg. Canon 17-55mm) Vs. having three lenses that are just OK.
    Yeah I know you were kidding, haha, thats why I threw in the smiley face. Sorry if that came off the wrong way, thats not how I intended it at all. More of a general comment/clarification about the whole fanboy thing from my perspective, nothing directed at you!

Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
    On the topic of macro lenses. I find that my 17-55 has too far of a mfd to shoot jewelry. Am I better off getting an extension tube or the 100mm f2.8 above?
    Dedicated macro lenses are always preferred, and I would think especially so if you're trying to get good pictures of small jewlery items. You can still use the extension tubes on the macro if you want to go even closer yet. Also, nobody makes a bad macro lens, so check out the 3rd party companies too if you decide you want a macro lens.

My Ride

Lots of good input guys!

So you've mentioned a couple times maybe he was just trying to sell me more stuff then I need, so if you were me, what would you do with my budget, with no biases to either nikon or canon. i don't mind going back and changing it up.

I want a lens with good depth of field options, as I was loving having the background completely out of focus and the subject crystal clear.
    I also want to do poses outside with scenary for show offy shots as well as nice interior shots.
    As well as being able to focus up close on fine scratches in the paint.

I trust you guys more then them as I know they just want to sell sell sell!

<3

My Ride
    M5 Competition

The most versatile lens for Canon IMO is this lens. 98% of my photos have been taken with this lens.

http://www.thecamerastore.com/produc...7-55mm-f28-usm

Lots of good input guys!

So you've mentioned a couple times maybe he was just trying to sell me more stuff then I need, so if you were me, what would you do with my budget, with no biases to either nikon or canon. i don't mind going back and changing it up.

I want a lens with good depth of field options, as I was loving having the background completely out of focus and the subject crystal clear.
    I also want to do poses outside with scenary for show offy shots as well as nice interior shots.
    As well as being able to focus up close on fine scratches in the paint.

I trust you guys more then them as I know they just want to sell sell sell!

&lt;3
    Many of your "requirements" are more dependant on your skill level rather than the camera, but from an equipment stand point you can do better for sure:

Nikon D90: $998.16 (The Camera Store)

Tamon 17-50 f2.8 (focuses REALLY close still, and is f2.8 for your depth of field control requirements). $479.85 (Vistek, not carried at TCS)

Tripod: ~$100

Memory Card ~$50

Bag ~$80+

Total cost: ~$1700 after tax, significantly better camera than the T1i, a higher quality lens than that Canon 17-85, a tripod, and ~$600 savings. Throw a flash (SB-600) in there too if you want and you're still at ~$400 savings.

Remember you're buying into a system, of which the lenses/flashes/etc. are likely to last a very long time if you stick with it and change camera bodies.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-23-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Many of your &quot;requirements&quot; are more dependant on your skill level rather than the camera, but from an equipment stand point you can do better for sure:

Nikon D90: $998.16 (The Camera Store)

Tamon 17-50 f2.8 (focuses REALLY close still, and is f2.8 for your depth of field control requirements). $479.85 (Vistek, not carried at TCS)

Memory Card ~$50

Bag ~$80+

Total cost: ~$1700 after tax, significantly better camera than the T1i, a higher quality lens than that Canon 17-85, a tripod, and ~$600 savings. Throw a flash (SB-600) in there too if you want and you're still at ~$400 savings.

Remember you're buying into a system, of which the lenses/flashes/etc. are likely to last a very long time if you stick with it and change camera bodies.
    Really, how can you say that on one hand you're buying into a system, only to say spend more money on a camera body that you're going to change anyways? Not to mention swapping out a first party lens with a third party lens that's made for both platforms?

Canon T1i: $846.72 (The Camera Store)

Memory Card ~$50

Bag ~$80+

Save an additional $150 over the nikon.
    heloc that shit

My Ride

At the D90/T1i level, the differences in features isn't going to be a determining factor whether you get the shot or not. Honestly, it's not something I would put too much concern into.

I would definitely recommend the canon 17-55 though. It is my favourite normal-range zoom between that and the 24-70L and 24-105L. But the Tamron 17-50 is also an excellent purchase. The canon version has better focusing though (probably the best focusing lens I've ever used) and also has an image stabilizer, so that's what you're paying the extra for, aside from the name.

One of the easiest ways to get subject and background separation for car photos is to shoot at a telephoto length. So at something like 200mm or so.

I would ditch the 17-85, 100 macro and 50 1.8 and get a 70-200 F/4 USM, tamron 17-50, and a decent tripod. But that's just my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast