Quantcast
Humane Way to put down some rodent pets - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Humane Way to put down some rodent pets

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Humane Way to put down some rodent pets

Backstory: I've got a couple of Degus, and their health is deteriorating. they have lived about as long as you can expect for this type of animal.
    If it comes down to it, I'd rather have them put out of their misery instead of suffering. However, I'm not keen on getting a vet to do it. These little dudes cost like seven buck new, so it seems silly to spend money killing them.
    Thoughts on humane ways to end the little guys if it comes to that?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Pellet gun in the head?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Rat poison?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

exhaust gas? let them out into the wild?

My Ride

Originally posted by dj_rice
    Rat poison?

verrrry inhumane. That stuff takes a long time to kill them, and puts them in alot of pain for the entire time.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

verrrry inhumane. That stuff takes a long time to kill them, and puts them in alot of pain for the entire time.

My bad, honestly I have no suggestions that is humane then....
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    GoGet Carshare

exhaust gas for sure..thats how I killed my guinepig..then crack the spine just to be sure

Found this article.

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/euthanasia.htm

Excerpt:
    However, I would not even consider euthanizing a pet at home using any other method than anesthesia overdose. It is the only humane method, in my opinion. Let me explain this procedure.

When it is time, I settle down on the bed or the sofa with a nice, plush towel for the rattie to be comfortable on. I pour some Halothane onto a couple of cotton balls that have been placed in a clean and empty small baby food jar. I put the jar in front of the rat’s nose. Halothane is not unpleasant, but the rat usually moves away from the jar at first. After moving it back in front of the rat’s nose, he often sticks his nose into the jar and, in a short amount of time, just falls asleep while I am petting him, talking to him, telling him how much I love him, and making him feel completely comfortable. Slowly, and not afraid, he goes to sleep.

Once asleep, the rat needs to continue to breathe the Halothane until he stops breathing and his heart stops. To ensure that he has definitely gone and his heart does not start again, I leave the jar in front of the rat’s nose and walk away for about ten minutes. This method has been a comfort to both me and the rats I have used it on. It is never an easy decision to end an animal’s life, but I am at peace knowing that my pet did not have to suffer, and was surrounded by love in his last moments of life.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I've heard hypothermia isn't that bad. Winter is coming.

or exhaust gas. That's pretty much just a headache and then unconsciousness I think.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Yah why don't you just let them go out wild and die a natural death?

^^^ Since they're domesticated, they won't be able to fend for themselves. Likely become some predator's snack or die of starvation, especially at this time of year.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

They'll just freeze to death in the wild.
    Or have some kinky sex with a squirrel and then we'll have some nasty degu-squirrel hybrids running around taking over the ecosystem.
    I don't think releasing them is the right way to go.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

The only truly humane way is for it to be done by a professional, read: vet. They anesthetize the animal first, then put it to sleep, and finally inject a neuroparalyzer into the heart, stopping life functions quickly and painlessly. It shouldn't cost much, and it's worthwhile money to make sure that they don't suffer in their last few moments.

If you really want to know the best alternative, it's severing the spinal column/cordm aka cervical dislocation. The intent is to disconnect the spinal cord as rapidly as possible from the base of the brain. Rodent instructions are in the last sentence here: http://nwco.net/0531-StepThreeLethal...islocation.asp

I can tell you from experience, as I've done it to smaller rabbits during winter and summer survival courses, that it is fast for the animal.

I would say your best bet is to shell out the $20 or so that a vet should charge for a euthanasia.
    Geek

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by Vagabond142
    I would say your best bet is to shell out the $20 or so that a vet should charge for a euthanasia.
    This, OR just take them to the humain society, we take all domestic animals. They can most likely live out the rest of their life in peace, if they are in ruff shape there is no charge to you to put them down.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by Vagabond142

Yeah its not very expensive at all.

Rat poison & letting them out in the wild are both very inhumane ways of killing it.

With Rat poison: it thins out their blood until they start bleeding from every orphis they have. Its a miserable, slow and excruciating death.

Short of getting it euthanised: Id shoot it in the head with a decent gun, such as a .22 or bigger but thats IF you have a gun & a license for it. Otherwise I'd bite the (small) bullet and pay the $15-40 per animal to have it euthanised. Call around though, thats your best bet.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

How old are they? I've kept hamsters of various kinds for years, and once they start showing signs of slowing down, it usually means they have less than a week left. They go pretty quick. I don't know if it's the same for your rodents, but with the hamsters I've never had one linger.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
    Found this article.

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/euthanasia.htm

Excerpt:
    That sounds a little too intimate. I'm creeped bro.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    06 F-150

Put them in a bag, wind up and swing them as hard as you can against the side of your house. Instead death.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
    Pellet gun in the head?
    Did this with gophers.

A 480 FPS BB to the head assured an instant kill.

My Ride

Originally posted by revelations

Did this with gophers.

A 480 FPS BB to the head assured an instant kill.
    same here,grew up on a farm. it was either kill the gophers, or they make holes that the horses could break their leg in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast