Quantcast
Fail to produce Insurance - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fail to produce Insurance

Originally posted by JustGo

You act like it's a chore, or an impossible task to throw out a small piece of paper.

I think it being an offense is silly too, but come on, don't act like it's asking too much of you to throw away a tiny slip of paper.
    Now that I have time to address this further. It was actually a little different then I wrote. I had an expired card in the dash, but in my paperwork binder for work, I had the new cards. I was working up north at the time, and it was probably 3am or something. He asks for the cards, and I pull it out, not even realizing it was expired. He says it was, I say oh fuk and panic. But then I remembered I had just picked up all of my mail before I left town that week, and the new cards were in there. I get out of the truck slowly with my hands in the air and walk back to his car..

And he freaks out about that a bit, but I explain what I'm up to, and that I have a new card. Thats when he gets pissy that I have multiple cards, because the paper work still had the 4 new cards attached to one another, all of which was stapled to my insurance sheets.

My Ride
    4 doors, 4 cylinders

Originally posted by Supa Dexta

Now that I have time to address this further. It was actually a little different then I wrote. I had an expired card in the dash, but in my paperwork binder for work, I had the new cards. I was working up north at the time, and it was probably 3am or something. He asks for the cards, and I pull it out, not even realizing it was expired. He says it was, I say oh fuk and panic. But then I remembered I had just picked up all of my mail before I left town that week, and the new cards were in there. I get out of the truck slowly with my hands in the air and walk back to his car..

And he freaks out about that a bit, but I explain what I'm up to, and that I have a new card. Thats when he gets pissy that I have multiple cards, because the paper work still had the 4 new cards attached to one another, all of which was stapled to my insurance sheets.
    A better idea than getting out of your car and walking back to him, is to put your hand up out the window, or hold the new paperwork out the window. He will see you, and come up. Putting your hands up is a nice touch (LOL) but it's still preferred for you to stay inside the car from an officer safety standpoint. It just puts officers at a disadvantage with you out walking around, and them sitting in a car, which is what the police generally try and avoid. Probably why he got a bit snap show on you.
    Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

My Ride
    4 doors, 4 cylinders

Default Re: Re: Fail to produce Insurance

Originally posted by preludez

yes it count for points, bring ur ticket to justice of peace so that u can pay only half of it...
    No. It's not a moving violation. No points.

$172 fine. Best I could see happening is time to pay or a payment option given.

My Ride
    a really big tow vehicle

Originally posted by Supa Dexta

did you have to keep your gun hidden? or did you raise that too?
    1999 NBS Silverado 4x4 awaiting an extensive build.
    6" BDS Lift is in. 37" mud grapplers. Built trans(by me) 4.10's, shaved ls6 heads, comp cam. More to come.

If I didn't take it back to him, I'm sure he would have walked back with a ticket, cause he was lipping off about a $600? fine or something for an expired pink card as he walked back to his car. He was the biggest gimp cop I've ever had to deal with. And I'm smart enough not to get out of my truck and walk back to his car with my hands down at 3am.
    Last edited by Supa Dexta; 11-06-2009 at 09:19 AM.

My Ride
    My wife crazy!

Ill try and help here....lots of mis information:-

Under the old MVAA (Motor Vehicle Administration act) You could be fined $28.00 for having an old pink card on you.

In 2003/04 The TSA (Traffic Safety Act) replaced that entire act, along with several others. This act is still legislated. There is NO fine for producing an expired pink slip.....however if you produce insurance for a policy not in effect (say you policy was cancelled but the pink card shows it to be good)...you will find yourself in court.

The fine for not producing upon demand is $172.oo and NO demerits.

My Ride
    4 doors, 4 cylinders

Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
    Ill try and help here....lots of mis information:-

Under the old MVAA (Motor Vehicle Administration act) You could be fined $28.00 for having an old pink card on you.

In 2003/04 The TSA (Traffic Safety Act) replaced that entire act, along with several others. This act is still legislated. There is NO fine for producing an expired pink slip.....however if you produce insurance for a policy not in effect (say you policy was cancelled but the pink card shows it to be good)...you will find yourself in court.

The fine for not producing upon demand is $172.oo and NO demerits.
    I was told by an OLD traffic guy that expired documentation was an offense. He obviously hasn't been updated... hahaha... I've never written anyone for it, but I just always tell people because it's annoying as hell when they hand you a stack of 40 expired pink cards and 7 expired registrations and hope for the best.

Just got pulled over for speeding, I produced my insurance documents on PDF format on my Iphone which he did verify as correct and he said that was adequate. He said he has to ticket me for not producing insurance information as it wasnt a proper "document". $172 bux.

Comments??
    Last edited by VWEvo; 10-16-2010 at 10:11 AM.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by VWEvo
    Just got pulled over for speeding, I produced my insurance documents on PDF format on my Iphone which he did verify as correct and he said that was adequate. He said he has to ticket me for not producing insurance information as it wasnt a proper "document". $172 bux.

Comments??
    He meant your iphone "copy" was adequate for him to know you do in fact have reg/ins, so he issued you a failure to produce, instead of no-insurance/no-reg. ticket.

You still need to have the physical copies in your car.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

He meant your iphone "copy" was adequate for him to know you do in fact have reg/ins, so he issued you a failure to produce, instead of no-insurance/no-reg. ticket.

You still need to have the physical copies in your car.
    Yes, he referred to my Iphone copy being adequate for him verify insurance, but not an adequote document.

My question is, who cares whether the document is electronic or on paper. Westjet lets you check in off your phone even.

I'm just trying to be more enviromentally friendly Its not like my wife put the original copy beside my fruit bowl at home by my keys so I wouldn't forget to put it in the car
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride

My question is, who cares whether the document is electronic or on paper. Westjet lets you check in off your phone even.
    An airline ticket has no regulatory laws behind it, but just try and use a PDF copy of your passport on a iPhone to travel internationally, lol.
    The law says you have to have the original, or a certified true copy of the original in your car when you drive, so that's the difference.

Hey said that a fax or a photocopy was adequate, how is that a certified true copy? My point is what defines a document. Where is it specifically defined that a document has to be paper. Comparing insurance to a passport document isn't exactly the same. FYI I have no plans to fight the ticket, I just don't think it was warranted
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride

edit: Nevermind, I thought you were talking about Registration, not Insurance... honestly I don't know why that wouldn't cut it then

Originally posted by JustGo

*condescending post x 3*.
    Dude you need to take some lessons from Dayglow. I am usually one of the first to defend police officers, as most of the ones I know or have run into have been very respectful. Your self righteous, and down right cunty attitude sure make it easy for the haters to just keep on hating.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

http://simonborys.wordpress.com/2010...nsurance-card/

I suspect this myth was started by kindhearted police officers who gave people breaks and told them that if they brought their insurance card in within 24 hours they wouldn’t process the ticket. That was very nice of them to be sure, but that is entirely within their discretion to do and, in my experience, it is not common practice these days.

There is nothing in the rest of this Act, or elsewhere in law, that supports the 24 hour myth.

Usually officers submit their tickets at the end of their shift and after that it is out of their hands. Once processed by administrative staff and sent off to the courts, they couldn’t recall it or withdraw it if they wanted to.

So if you get a $65 ticket for failing to produce your insurance card, don’t expect to be given 24 hours to produce it. If you are given that opportunity, take it before the officer changes their mind!
    **However this guy is from ontario... but it makes sense to me?

My Ride
    Old Car

Comments??
    I think the key words (in large size) is that. A PDF format isn't considered as a document, but is one part of a computer software program i.e. like Microsoft Word program. At least, that was what my high school teacher said that way some years ago.

I can understand the logic in saving paper for something like that. I'm all for reducing paper ... but we aren't yet arrived into the "Star Trek" world - yet(!) For now, some of you paperless people WILL have to endure with actual original documents ...made of paper.

I think the government and insurance dept just simple love to torture us with that... why else would they do their red tape tripe-fold?

My Ride
    Acura TL, 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

Originally posted by Vanner

I think the key words (in large size) is that. A PDF format isn't considered as a document, but is one part of a computer software program i.e. like Microsoft Word program. At least, that was what my high school teacher said that way some years ago.

I can understand the logic in saving paper for something like that. I'm all for reducing paper ... but we aren't yet arrived into the "Star Trek" world - yet(!) For now, some of you paperless people WILL have to endure with actual original documents ...made of paper.

I think the government and insurance dept just simple love to torture us with that... why else would they do their red tape tripe-fold?
    Actually we are pretty much in the "star Trek" world as smartphones are able to produce the documents in PDF file. It's just up to the government to change over this policy and keep up with the times.

My Ride
    Old Car

Originally posted by JordanAndrew

Actually we are pretty much in the "star Trek" world as smartphones are able to produce the documents in PDF file. It's just up to the government to change over this policy and keep up with the times.
    Ah... did the entire government have changed to adapt in accepting PDF files from us as cizitens yet? We may be pretty much in "star trek" world with our pretty little gizmos like smartphones ... but not 100% complete YET!

Until ALL government and insurance and all police services update their policies in accepting paperless documents. I somehow don't think it'd be done soon - it might take a good LONG while. For now my comment stands.

My Ride
    4 doors, 4 cylinders

Originally posted by Ruggzy_McTuggz

Dude you need to take some lessons from Dayglow. I am usually one of the first to defend police officers, as most of the ones I know or have run into have been very respectful. Your self righteous, and down right cunty attitude sure make it easy for the haters to just keep on hating.
    Uhm, kay.

Maybe quote my real post so I can see what you're talking about, but from what I can see, I have no idea where you're getting your hate on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2