Quantcast
Soundstream Products? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Soundstream Products?

My Ride
    2014 Tundra 1794 + 2016 X1

Default Soundstream Products?

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has experience with Soundstream products specifically the Soundstream VIR-7100N (double DIN headunit with GPS).

Got a contact to get these for a really good price (like sub $600)

THANKS!!!!

Soundstream

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Soundstream used to make really good gear back in like the 90's. If i remember correctly a few of the founders jumped ship to another maker and the remainders went mainstream which took away from the high end tag.

IMO they still have pretty decent stuff and rate higher then sony or pana when it comes to HU's.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ This. But much the same could be said about Phoenix Gold, MTX, Kicker, Digital Designs, (Alpine, to a lesser extent) and countless other companies.

they *USED* to make incredible stuff in the 1990's (much of it handbuilt in the US), but now its Chinese made mass market shit.

Today? I'd never touch a Soundstream for their amps, subs & speakers. ... honestly.

I'd check out the consumer reviews for that GPS unit before taking the plunge. They've had some fairly decent decks as of the last few years, hopefully the one you're interested in is one of those.
    -Good luck!
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    I'd check out the consumer reviews for that GPS unit before taking the plunge. They've had some fairly decent decks as of the last few years, hopefully the one you're interested in is one of those.
    -Good luck!
    That's the problem?! I can't find any consumer reviews!!

My buddy bought a Double din deck (no gps) and it seems to work very nicely. And for the cost, its really a great deal assuming it will work well for awhile at least.

My Ride

^ Yeah, I'd go for it then. For the price a GPS unit of that sort is hard to beat.
    sub $600 for something like that is definately worth checking into.
    Like I said: their subs, speakers & amps are just awful, but their HU's aren't too shabby I've found.
    Pick one up, if it works great let me know, I wouldn't mind trying out out as that sounds like a wicked deal.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-15-2019 at 12:15 PM.

My Ride
    99 Civic Si

With that being said, I never knew soundstream to produce headunits.

Soundstream has also just reintroduced their old Reference series amps into the market again. They were amazing, but of course their not gonna be exactly the same as what they once were.

My Ride
    Forester STI

Soundstream made their name in IASCA competition circles as "cheater" amps.. 0.5ohm stable amps rated at 2x 25WRMS @ 4ohm ? haha, they'd pump out 2x 200WRMS into the 0.5ohm..
    IASCA classes were (maybe still are ?) based on amplifier power @ 4ohm. So you'd pickup a couple of Soundstream amps, wire them down for massive power and compete against guys with less than half your power. .

I'd say the SS headunits are just their name on someone elses product under a license agreement.
    The Lazymans Signature (tm)

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by Tezzating
    Soundstream made their name in IASCA competition circles as "cheater" amps.. 0.5ohm stable amps rated at 2x 25WRMS @ 4ohm ? haha, they'd pump out 2x 200WRMS into the 0.5ohm..
    IASCA classes were (maybe still are ?) based on amplifier power @ 4ohm. So you'd pickup a couple of Soundstream amps, wire them down for massive power and compete against guys with less than half your power. .

I'd say the SS headunits are just their name on someone elses product under a license agreement.
    I had a reference 405 and i loved it, still sits in my basement.

Had it running EVERYTHING in my stereo and had the sub channel bridged at .5 ohm ..............mono
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride

Originally posted by Tezzating

Yeah those rules changed many many years ago, because of those said "cheater amps"

I had a couple of them too. Orion had quite an offering of cheater amps back then as well.

My Ride

Went with a $600 clarion unit instead!!

Didn't wanna risk it lol