Quantcast
Must be alot of pedophiles in Calgary... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Must be alot of pedophiles in Calgary...

Default Must be alot of pedophiles in Calgary...

http://www.canada.com/calgary/story....7-CAEA380C5E95

Camera phones raise privacy fears
    Gadgets banned from change rooms

Tony Seskus
    Calgary Herald

Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Fears high-tech camera phones could be used to take photos of unsuspecting men and women in locker rooms has prompted the YWCA of Calgary to ban the gadgets from its change areas.

The downtown facility said it implemented the measure this week to protect the privacy of its 1,600 members and will require all picture-taking cellular phones to be turned in to the front desk.

The move also comes as Westside Recreation Centre this month banned the use of cellphones in its locker rooms. Both decisions follow restrictions set both overseas and in the United States by fitness clubs to guard against pedophiles taking photos in change areas.

"We looked at the issue and we decided that it definitely was a privacy concern," said Jan Bloemraad, general manager of the YWCA's fitness centre. "It's a concern . . . considering there have been a few issues in (other countries) of pictures showing up on the Web."

Calgary children's advocate Linda Pushor said the moves show "tremendous leadership."

Pushor added city hall should also investigate whether it needs to take such steps at its recreation facilities. At least one alderman agrees that it's worth a look.

"When people enter a city facility, they shouldn't have to worry about their privacy," said Ald. Craig Burrows. "I'd like to see what other cities are doing and even hear from the telecommunications (industry) about what they're doing."

Camera phones are the latest fad. They allow people to take digital photos that can be instantly mailed around the world.

But worries such state-of-the-art gadgetry could allow people to surreptitiously photograph children and adults in change rooms has spurred fitness clubs in several countries -- including Britain -- to take action.

In the Australian state of Victoria, for example, 110 YMCA facilities implemented a ban on cellphone use after a man pleaded guilty to filming young girls in a pool changing room in Melbourne.

Even in North America, where the camera phones are only beginning to take off, gyms and pools are taking action to guard against illegal activity. In the U.S., camera-equipped cellphones have been barred at all 300 clubs in the 24 Hour Fitness chain.

In Calgary, however, police have said they're not aware of any complaints of the phones being used in a criminal manner and neither the YMCA nor the city's leisure centres have policies on camera phones.

But the local YWCA and the Westside Recreation Centre said they wanted to take preventative action ahead of any problems.

"It has to do with protecting the privacy of your members," said Norma-Jean Hogg, managing director at Westside. "Now that we have technology that puts that at risk, we have to do whatever we can to mitigate that risk."

The centre is asking its members to shut off their phones before entering the change rooms. The rule -- which applies to all cellphones as an added precaution -- was put in place in the past two weeks.

The YWCA, with a downtown clientele of businessmen and women, will allow people to continue to take regular cellphones into the change rooms, but camera phones must be left with staff. The rules went into effect Sunday.

In communities where similar rules have been implemented, concerns remain about how well they can be enforced. Other critics say the rules are unfair and unwanted.

City staff said they would kick out anyone taking any kind of illicit pictures in locker rooms, but added there is no policy on camera phones.

Representatives of Canada's wireless industry said they do not believe such rules will harm demand for the camera phones.

Marc Choma, spokesman for the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association, said such measures are just an extension of current rules restricting photography in change rooms.

"It is not a ban on cellphones," he added.

[email protected]

My girlfriend's mom who works for Telus says that they will only sell phones that make the "shutter noise" when the picture is taken. Basically this deters the voyeurs. But in a noisy place this is useless (aka bar)...

But does the shutter noise go silent when you put the phone to silent? I can't remember now...

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by roopi
    But does the shutter noise go silent when you put the phone to silent? I can't remember now...
    the finger over the speakerhole method probably works well too.

yea my buddy bought that zire 71 palm and was takin pics of chicks asses... it made the shutter noise and one turned around, grabed it and smashed it on the ground. omg lol his face from loosing $449 hahaha priceless! he was a major pig, if she didnt do it, i woulda did it.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    the finger over the speakerhole method probably works well too.
    speak from experience?

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

It's so amazing, that a little gadget that is supposed to make our lives more productive has such a dark side to it huh??...I mean like anything else that we have come up with in regards to technology...It just always has the perverse dark face to it...Wowsahs, is all I have to say to that...
    ...@therealarifjina...

Originally posted by CycloneAWD
    It's so amazing, that a little gadget that is supposed to make our lives more productive has such a dark side to it huh??...I mean like anything else that we have come up with in regards to technology...It just always has the perverse dark face to it...Wowsahs, is all I have to say to that...
    sick world out there, hey?

but i wouldnt trust the scabs with my $350 phone at the front desk. Its like like im gunna take pictures of a guys naked ass in the changing rooms, no matter HOW MUCH Dj lazy nags me!
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

Hmmm good point...
    You will have to get a new phone and test it roopi!

I feel so violated
    Michael Scott: "Do I want to be feared or loved? Um... easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."

Originally posted by FastDak318

Hmmm good point...
    You will have to get a new phone and test it roopi!
    I'm working on it and it has a cam in it as well so I'll let you know. Maybe I'll post some nice ass shots as well.

I'm working on it and it has a cam in it as well so I'll let you know. Maybe I'll post some nice ass shots as well.
    just dont get caught, read what happened to my friend... and loosing a cell phone is A LOT more critical then loosing a PDA (well depends how much you use both)

As of right now I dont know anyone that has one yet, so let us know how it works!

My Ride
    Two unreliable sedans

For the GD88, the camera shutter sound doesn't turn off even in silent mode. Have to reflash it to a un-official firmware to get rid of that sound

Originally posted by 403Gemini

just dont get caught, read what happened to my friend... and loosing a cell phone is A LOT more critical then loosing a PDA (well depends how much you use both)
    I was kidding.

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    yea my buddy bought that zire 71 palm and was takin pics of chicks asses... it made the shutter noise and one turned around, grabed it and smashed it on the ground. omg lol his face from loosing $449 hahaha priceless! he was a major pig, if she didnt do it, i woulda did it.
    lmao I wish I could have been there for that. Thanks for the short story.

im pretty sure no matter what you try to do it will have the shutter noise on my phone no matter what you do it will always shutter and on my friends phone it even has a flash so ppl can tell your takin a pic

On my v600 you have the option to have a sound or not.. I just turn it off cuz its annoying but I dont use the camera anyways cause quality is shit.
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

My Ride
    vsm ej8

Originally posted by Dope Dealer
    On my v600 you have the option to have a sound or not.. I just turn it off cuz its annoying but I dont use the camera anyways cause quality is shit.
    must be liek that on all the new V series, my V220 is like that too..camera is silent when phone is silent

new phone with bell has a Video camera on it. also if its dark you can push a button and a light turns on. my buddy just bought one, bad thing about the vid is it doesnt make a noise at all... no real indicator that the vids being taken unless you look at the phone cause the back lcd (where # shows up since its a flip phone) says "VIDEO" and thats it