Quantcast
Good place to buy a suit? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Good place to buy a suit?

Default Good place to buy a suit?

Anyone have any suggestions on a good place to buy a suit? My nephew's baptism is on the 15th and I'm the Godfather so I want a fairly nice looking suit. Also I'm somewhat of a cheapass so nothing crazy expensive.

Also has to be a place where they can taylor it to fit right as it I will likely need it to be hemmed.

Thanks!
    Last edited by sabad66; 11-04-2009 at 09:10 AM.

Default Re: Good place to buy a suit?

Originally posted by sabad66
    Anyone have any suggestions on a good place to buy a suit? My nephew's baptism is on the 15th and I'm the Godfather so I want a respectable looking suit. Also I'm somewhat of a cheapass so nothing crazy expensive.

Also has to be a place where they can Taylor it to fit right as it I will likely need it to be hemmed.

Thanks!
    how much u lookin to spend??? under 300 under 600 under 1200??

IMO the most important aspect of a suit is good fit, id rather wear a $300 suit that fits me flawlessly, than a 1500 suit that just doesnt sit right on my shoulders, back bubbles, sleeves are too long, etc

the nice thing about shopping at the "higher end" stores like henery singer is that you have unlimited alterations on that garment so what you see on the price tag is what you pay for. i work out a lot so i fit in nothing off the rack, and usually need some heavy alterations if not made to measure to avoid looking like a clown..

on the on the hand if you go to somewhere that has a little lower prices like britches or tip top, you will still get some great suits, but ur ganna have to shell out the cash for your own alterations which can end up rather pricey depending on your body type
    Last edited by jaysas_63; 11-04-2009 at 09:10 AM.
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

I'd like to do under 400 if possible but I can stretch it a bit more if need be

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Depends how much you're looking to spend. Tip Top Tailors and Moores are pretty decent ones. Harry Rosen and Holt are more of the higher end stuff if that is what you're looking for.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

Originally posted by sabad66
    I'd like to do under 400 if possible but I can stretch it a bit more if need be
    i think you should try out tip top, britches, and some department stores like the bay i'm sure you will find something great in that price range. just make sure when you are buying your suit to budget enough money for alterations.
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

the godfather...

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Good old Moore's is the place to go...and I think they may even be having a 2 for 1 sale. They carry nice stuff these days too. $300-$800 range.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

moores has 2 for one deals usually. There was another place by chuckles costume shop the other day (across from chinook) there was a suit shop tucked in the corner beside them, I noticed with some cheaper deals posted.

Winners! The Westhills store carries suits and they do have some nice ones - but with less than 2 weeks, you may have a tough time buying one and getting it altered. Maybe you can fit right off the rack? The Bay has nice Jones New York and Nautica, both look quite sharp for the money (under $400).

Moores carried CK who make nice looking <$400 suits.

I picked my last suit for under $500 on sale at Thomas Jeffrey, but most of their stuff is in the 600-1000 range.

value village yo

just kidding, they only sell good party suits.

i imagine you're only gonna wear this suit a few times - to the baptism, and then maybe to some weddings or parties or something. in these cases, you just need to look respectful, so you really you just need something that looks formal but isn't ultra-durable or super high quality. just go to the mall and go into one of those suit stores (e.g. tip-top or whatever). i think they sell all styles of suits for pretty cheap. i hate suits and won't even wear one to my funeral, but if I remember correctly I think they have suits there for like $200 complete.

don't waste a lot of money, and keep in mind that a suit is a sign of subordination. suits are for taxi drivers, waiters, and salesmen. players wear flip flops

good luck dude
    Last edited by nonlinear; 11-04-2009 at 01:47 PM.

I don't recommend going to Tip Top or Britches or what is it? Stonehouse? used to be Grafton and Co. The sales people there are on commission and usually have no idea of what they're doing and just want to move suits, not make sure you get one you'll be happy with.

In that price range, I recommend going to the Bay downtown. They have many suits in that price range, but the major advantage in my opinion is the staff they have. They've been doing this a long time, and are pretty good at it. Better than those other stores anyway. They won't try to talk you out of your price range, and they know when a suit doesn't fit right, and they know what can be fixed by alterations and what can't. They are very friendly and aren't on commission (I don't think) so they don't pressure you at all.

They might not be as good as the alterations guys at Harry Rosen (I have had hit and miss experiences with the salesmen there, but their tailors know what they're doing) - I think the Bay downtown is the best you'll be able to do in that price range.

ETA - oh and don't hurry! - make sure the suit fits well in the shoulders - that can't be fixed by alterations, but do allow time for alterations to be done. At the Bay, it may take a week before you'll get your suit back.

maxwell tailors are coming to town soon

check them out

^Won't be here until the 16th, so not in time for the OP - also, no chance he'd receive a suit in time, even if he was here tomorrow. But this is a great option for suits. I haven't ordered anything from him, but lots of people I know have, and they're very happy.

here's a link to his site: http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/

Basically, you go in and get measured and pick fabrics and styles, and then your suit is made to measure in China and shipped to you. I know more people who get shirts from him than suits. I think I might order something from him this go around to try him out. Thanks for bringing this up!

Originally posted by dexlargo
    ^Won't be here until the 16th, so not in time for the OP - also, no chance he'd receive a suit in time, even if he was here tomorrow. But this is a great option for suits. I haven't ordered anything from him, but lots of people I know have, and they're very happy.

here's a link to his site: http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/

Basically, you go in and get measured and pick fabrics and styles, and then your suit is made to measure in China and shipped to you. I know more people who get shirts from him than suits. I think I might order something from him this go around to try him out. Thanks for bringing this up!
    on snap didn't read the part where he needed it by that day

My Ride
    bimmer,benz, or bentley

Holt Renfrew

My Ride
    GTI

There are a few stores that sell suits at Market mall that have them as much as 50% off I think, get a nice $800 suit for $400. I bought one last week, salesmen seemed to know what they were doing. I can't remember the name of the stores, or even the one I bought from.

They will be last year's line, but whatever.

Tristin is pretty good.