Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Feds doing away with the Long Gun Registry

Default Feds doing away with the Long Gun Registry

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1351328/

Bill Curry

Ottawa — Globe and Mail
    Published on Wednesday, Nov. 04, 2009 6:08PM EST

Last updated on Wednesday, Nov. 04, 2009 7:58PM EST

The House of Commons dealt a major blow to the federal long-gun registry Wednesday night as 20 Liberal and NDP MPs broke ranks with their leaders to endorse a Conservative bill that would bring the program to an end.

The vote exposed clear splits among Liberals and New Democrats along rural and urban lines, as the 12 NDP MPs and eight Liberals who voted with the Conservatives were primarily from rural ridings.

Many of them had been the target of an aggressive Conservative lobbying campaign which flooded their ridings with anti-registry pamphlets from Tory MPs, as well as Conservative party radio ads.

“I was just blown away by the support we got,” said Conservative MP Garry Breitkreuz, who led the battle against the registry in opposition. He helped write the private members bill that won approval Wednesday night to be studied by a committee. “I'm relieved after 15 years, finally we get some action on one of the biggest boondoggles in Canadian history.”

Both Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff and NDP Leader Jack Layton allowed their MPs a free vote, even though both leaders officially support the registry.

Following the vote, the two parties were sharply criticized by Wendy Cukier, the President of the Coalition for Gun Control, who was in the House of Commons for the vote.

“It's appalling,” she told reporters Wednesday evening. “It wasn't even close. You had urban MPs not stand up for gun control. … Many Canadians are going to wake up [Thursday], I predict, and will be absolutely horrified.”

Conservatives widely expected the vote would be very close. They were clearly surprised by the size of the 164 to 137 win.

Earlier in the day, Mr. Ignatieff said he supported decriminalizing the federal long gun registry.

In the highly polarized debate that has raged in Ottawa for years, Mr. Ignatieff said his party is working on a proposal that aims to find a middle ground.

The notion of decriminalizing the registry would be a response to one of the main criticisms of the registry's critics: that law-abiding hunters could, in theory, become criminals for failing to properly fill out the registry's paperwork.

Neither Mr. Ignatieff nor his staff would not offer further details, but past advocates of decriminalizing the registry have suggested the criminal provisions could be replaced with non-criminal fines.

“It's not the end of the registry tonight,” said Mr. Ignatieff Wednesday, dismissing the vote as “mischief” on the part of the Conservatives. “The fundamental issue is to make sure that we get a system of gun control which works both for rural Canada and for urban Canada.”

Wednesday's close vote was triggered by a private members' bill from backbench Conservative MP Candice Hoepnner, who took up measures proposed earlier by Mr. Breitkreuz. The bill is essentially the same as a Conservative government bill that was introduced in the Senate but never moved for debate.

If further debate on Ms. Hoepnner's bill moves quickly, the Conservatives' efforts to scrap the long gun registry could succeed before Parliament's summer recess in June. The bill's future will also depend on whether Prime Minister Stephen Harper fills upcoming vacancies in the Senate so that the Conservatives outnumber the opposition in 2010.

The Conservative bill, if passed, would completely eliminate the requirement to register hunting rifles but would maintain the registry for prohibited or restricted weapons such as hand guns.

Many rural opposition MPs bristled in recent weeks at the attacks they received from Conservatives in their ridings, but still voted for the Tory bill.

One Conservative flyer mailed in to the Timmins-James Bay riding held by Charlie Angus pictured Mr. Ignatieff, Mr. Layton and Bloc Québécois leader Gilles Duceppe above a heading in all capital letters stating: “Attacking farmers and hunters.”

Mr. Angus has long been critical of the registry and was among the 12 NDP MPs who sided with the Conservatives Wednesday.

“Every day people bring [the flyers] into my office and say ‘Tell these guys to stop using our taxpayers dollars' to lie to us,” said Mr. Angus.

Critics of the system have long said the second step of registering a hunting rifle is a waste of time and money given that hunters are already required to obtain a hunting license.

Police organizations are split on the issue, with some insisting the registry remains a key database to help police while others say the money would be better spent on cops.

Toronto Police Chief William Blair, the President of the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, wrote in The Globe and Mail this week that the Tory bill would force the destruction of more than eight million firearms records.

It's about time... and good on those rural Liberal/NDP MPs for doing the right thing and voting to abolish the long gun registry as their constituents have requested them to do.

An enormous waste of time and money went into that, but thankfully they've come to their senses.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

God would I have loved to be the one to tell Cukier the news, just to see the look on that lying, manipulative cunt's face.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

Vaccine with unknown side effects + eliminating gun registry = recipe for chaos
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Originally posted by Konj
    Vaccine with unknown side effects + eliminating gun registry = recipe for chaos

Gotta prepare to kill all the zombified vaccine-goers somehow.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    GTI

I'm actually surprised the vote was still that close. The registry was fucking stupid and a huge waste of money.

I can't believe it has been 15 years though, I must be getting old.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I'm really happy to hear that useless-ass money pit is on the way out.

My Ride
    SC 03 eclipse, 06 TJ,Shadow1100, HD FXSTC, Chopper

About bloody time.
    Member since 2003.

My Ride
    93 integra

Originally posted by Hakkola
    I'm actually surprised the vote was still that close. The registry was fucking stupid and a huge waste of money.

I can't believe it has been 15 years though, I must be getting old.
    thats what I thought exactly.

A monstrous waste of tax payers money to combat a problem that never was. It was all just a make work project and I would bet no one life was ever saved or one crime solved because the rifle was registered.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Default Re: Feds doing away with the Long Gun Registry

Originally posted by atgilchrist
    Following the vote, the two parties were sharply criticized by Wendy Cukier, the President of the Coalition for Gun Control, who was in the House of Commons for the vote.

“It's appalling,” she told reporters Wednesday evening. “It wasn't even close. You had urban MPs not stand up for gun control. … Many Canadians are going to wake up [Thursday], I predict, and will be absolutely horrified.”
    Yes, because Metro Toronto and Vancouver gang-related shootings could have been eliminated with more gun laws and red tape.

Idiot.

My Ride

Originally posted by HHURICANE1
    A monstrous waste of tax payers money to combat a problem that never was. It was all just a make work project and I would bet no one life was ever saved or one crime solved because the rifle was registered.
    Actually, while the RCMP were not in favour of the bill when it came out - it did benefit the officers out on the road.

On several occasions we had domestic calls where the gun registry was able to tell us that bonehead beating up his wife also had guns in his posession - in which case we used more caution.

But I agree, the money could have been better used elsewhere.

Sorry, but to rely on the registry to tell you that a firearm is present isn't smart. Not every firearm is registered. First hand info is far more reliable.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by revelations

Actually, while the RCMP were not in favour of the bill when it came out - it did benefit the officers out on the road.

On several occasions we had domestic calls where the gun registry was able to tell us that bonehead beating up his wife also had guns in his posession - in which case we used more caution.

But I agree, the money could have been better used elsewhere.
    My friend, this is not good practice, that to me sounds like you make the assumption that no guns will be present if there isn't a registries record associated with the residence/subject. You know the whole "Criminals don't register their guns" thing? Yeah, that's this.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

But...but...but....who will stop the bloodthirsty gang wars between the Hatfields and the McCoys now?

so thankful we have a government in power that has balls.

My Ride

Originally posted by CUG

My friend, this is not good practice, that to me sounds like you make the assumption that no guns will be present if there isn't a registries record associated with the residence/subject. You know the whole "Criminals don't register their guns" thing? Yeah, that's this.
    Read what I wrote again.

We never assumed no guns present just because the GR said there were none.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Originally posted by revelations

Read what I wrote again.

We never assumed no guns present just because the GR said there were none.
    I know, you're just getting your shit tossed for making it sound that way... and it did sound that way.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    CBR 929

Thank goodness. How long before this is totally scrapped? I have two rifles that were left to me after my father passed and they are in the States. I have put off bringing them home as I don't have a gun license/firearms course.

They are collectors items(special editions so not old enough and still functional that they cannot be considered antiques). Hopefully by them scrapping this program I can just buy some gun cases and have them shipped to me.

[url]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast