Quantcast
Looking for some insight.. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Looking for some insight..

My Ride
    Mirage

Default Looking for some insight..

So after about a month of listenign I have decided I desire more out of my system. First off is to upgrade the front door speakers and amplify them but my JVC deck only has 1 pre out?! Secondly I need to bump up the bass coming from the hatch and I dont have a bass knob for the MTX 1500.1D amp I have?! Any suggestions? I was told about a line out driver to help with the bass but know very little about this. Im thinking of going to a sealed box just due to space or build a little larger ported box as my box now is quite small for this sub.

Current Setup:
    JVC KW-ADV790
    MTX 1500.1D
    MTX 9500 12¨
    0/1 gauge wiring
    Stinger 5 farad Hybrid cap
    Kenwood 6.25 (entry level garbage) door speakers

Possibly looking into some of the CDT audio options as there are some on the forum priced quite fair!

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I have done all I can at the moment
    Current Whips:
    2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    2004 Silverado 2500HD 7" Lift
    2001 Silverado StepSide 2/3 Lowered

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Yeah that "line driver" is made by Phoenix Gold. Its called the PLD1. That stands for Professional Line Driver (1).

What that does: is that it takes the 4.0volt RMS (preout) signal: and it boosts it up to an amp melting 8.0 volts RMS.

8 volts is VERY high for pre-outs, and with that: you're sure to be pushing that amp to its limits. That should quench your need for more bass. I used to use it when I would compete (on a small scale) with SPL competitions, as that maximizes your install power & components.
    Brand new (I dont know if PG still makes them) they were around $200-250. I have one that I dont use anymore, for $50 if you want it. I'll show you how to tune it to your system too. Its just sitting in my car audio tool chest unused right now.

For the pre-outs: you can use a splitter that will split the singular RCA's into as many as you want.

What I'd do: is use a 3 way splitter (or use a total of 6 single RCA splitters), that way you'll have 2 pairs of RCA's for your full range speakers (1 pair for the front, 1 for the back) and then a 3rd set of RCA's to go to your line driver: then lastly to your amp.

Keep in mind, you'd best carefully tune your system using the gain control on each channel of the amp: since you wont have any other way of controlling the loudness of each and every channel: because everything is run off the same controls (being the single pair of preouts in question)
    Make sense? Hopefully you have full crossover controls on all amps you plan on using. That way you can limit the high range frequencies going to your subs (and limit the bass going to the full range speakers) etc.
    Without any sort of crossover control, you'll have the exact same signal being amplified to every single speaker.

If this doesn't make sense or whatever, just ask and I'll clarify further.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and another thing is... your sub may or may NOT work with a certain box. Its best to take the performance parameters to a subwoofer box modeling program and see what will work best for the sub in question. Some subs absolutely will not work in a sealed: others will not work in a ported. Its tough to find that out without properly running the subs parameters through that said program. Call it a "dyno run" for your sub if you will.

But if a sub is put in a box it was not designed to work in: not only will it sound absolutely horrendous, but it may not be operating at its full potential either.
    So having a good sub is half the battle: the other half? making sure the box its in is correct for it.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 11-05-2009 at 09:51 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Mirage

Thanks for the info, Im going to build a sealed box to spec tonight and just curious would you recomend aiming it at the hatch glass or just to the back?

Very interested in the line driver as well and will contact you through pm soon

BTW: Im only running fornt door speakers as its a 240 hatch and the bass coming from the back is enough to drown out the rears so I have decided to invest in a set of good front speakers to make up for the lack of acoustics in my car.
    Last edited by strong; 11-06-2009 at 05:37 PM.
    Current Whips:
    2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Yeah that works with the fronts only. Typically the intense bass frequencies from the sub manipulate the cone of the rear speakers quite often, so yeah its almost pointless with most installs to concentrate on them to much of any extent. The rears can really aid towards a wholesome soundstage, but if you dont feel its worthwhile then that makes the wiring & install that much more simple.

With the position of the subwoofer box, its honestly your choice. There is no right or wrong way to point the box.

Since it's just a small sealed box housing a 12" sub: go ahead and drive around with it (while trying all sorts of different music) with it facing a multitude of ways: even towards the roof and see what works best for your tastes. When you find a specific placement, then attach it to your trunk floor if that is what you wanted to do.

If its loudness you're after: most people have the best results by pointing it to the back of the car. For clarity: its best if its facing you directly as that way the sound comes to you directly without any refractions off of the back of your car.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Mirage

Ended up staying ported and pointed to the back of the car and now am going to concentrate on getting better sound from the fronts by replacing them! Thanks for the help and clarfying!!
    Current Whips:
    2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T