Quantcast
Insurance Inspections? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Insurance Inspections?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Default Insurance Inspections?

Whats the deal withinsurance inspections here in Alberta? One insurance company asked me for papers for my RHD another didnt? Im thinking of buying a beater tomorrow, will it need an inspection?

My Ride
    A twin turbo boat & a twin turbo station wagon

yes, even if a domestic car is 12 years or older it will need an inspection, but it's only a tiny 20 point inspection compared to the out of province

Are you saying you bought a RHD car without an inspection ?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

nordic does not require inspections (well you will need an out of province for any car not registered in alberta last, but thats a different story)

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by SRT10Killer
    yes, even if a domestic car is 12 years or older it will need an inspection, but it's only a tiny 20 point inspection compared to the out of province

Are you saying you bought a RHD car without an inspection ?
    No, when I bought my car, it had a OOP, my original company needed a copy of it, but when I switched to TD, they never asked for it.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Also it says an insurance inspecrtion is only needed if I want collision coverage? I will just be having 1 million liability, so will the inspection still apply?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    Also it says an insurance inspecrtion is only needed if I want collision coverage? I will just be having 1 million liability, so will the inspection still apply?
    The rules will vary considerably from one company to the next. Some require at 12 years, some 15, some 20 & some never. Call your broker and they should be able to tell you pretty quick.

To take that a step further it may also be the brokerage that is looking for one. It's not common but I have come across it before.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    fast and red.

Pretty minor inspection, compared to the oop. They want to know that the car is road-worthy.

My Ride
    88 Mr-2 N/A / 86 Celica GTS

on my car they sent me an email telling me they required an inspection in 7 days. I thought this was an outrageously low amount of time to give someone to get an inspection. since i was pretty busy that week so ignored it. it is now 9 months later and they never asked again
    but my last two cars 88mr2 and 91 300zx both didint need to get one.
    Originally posted by Ben
    Ah yes, but does your car wake you up with your cock in it's intake as a nice little "Good Morning"? A Car might give you a hard on, but a girl knows just how to deal with it.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

My old insurance company required one for every car over 7 years old, I had no idea how the whole thing worked and was 16 at the time, I ignored the letter (which stated I had 7 days to get it inspected) since I didn't want to spend the $50 on an inspection. 1 month later they sent me another letter saying I had 24 hours to submit the inspection or my insurance would be cancelled and they would keep all of my premiums (I paid 6 months at a time). I didn't push my luck past that. Not all insurance companies are so easy going about the inspections. And, if you are involved in a collision that may at all be due to mechanical failure and they requested an inspection (which you did not provide) they may void your insurance, meaning you could be liable for a $2500 ticket plus all the damages and injuries from the accident (and be nearly un-insurable later in life). Not something to screw around with IMO.

For the OP, instead of asking us, ask your insurance company. It all depends on the company.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    '09 Dodge Challenger

Originally posted by Zero102
    My old insurance company required one for every car over 7 years old, I had no idea how the whole thing worked and was 16 at the time, I ignored the letter (which stated I had 7 days to get it inspected) since I didn't want to spend the $50 on an inspection. 1 month later they sent me another letter saying I had 24 hours to submit the inspection or my insurance would be cancelled and they would keep all of my premiums (I paid 6 months at a time). I didn't push my luck past that. Not all insurance companies are so easy going about the inspections. And, if you are involved in a collision that may at all be due to mechanical failure and they requested an inspection (which you did not provide) they may void your insurance, meaning you could be liable for a $2500 ticket plus all the damages and injuries from the accident (and be nearly un-insurable later in life). Not something to screw around with IMO.

For the OP, instead of asking us, ask your insurance company. It all depends on the company.

x2 my last insurance company was anal about the inspection, but when i switched over to my new insurance company they didn't even ask for it. depends on each company.

My Ride
    FC3S, GDB, Z32, 750K4, Cummins '600'

i've had my FC insured with TD for the past 6years now.... 3years ago they asked for another "mechanical".... I've yet to get them one and nothing in my policy has changed....

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Well I was orignally with Ryder, and they needed an inspection for my S13, then I switched to TD and they never asked for anything. Anyone else have any experience with TD inspections?

My Ride
    88 Mr-2 N/A / 86 Celica GTS

Originally posted by Zero102

yea i see what your saying but as i see it iv been paying for 7 or so months now i would see it hard for them to say oh yea we were charging you but you wernt covered. also they asked me to fax it to them being the only option and i dont even know anyone who uses fax anymore.
    Originally posted by Ben
    Ah yes, but does your car wake you up with your cock in it's intake as a nice little "Good Morning"? A Car might give you a hard on, but a girl knows just how to deal with it.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by rockanrepublic

yea i see what your saying but as i see it iv been paying for 7 or so months now i would see it hard for them to say oh yea we were charging you but you wernt covered. also they asked me to fax it to them being the only option and i dont even know anyone who uses fax anymore.

If something comes up during the claims process that would void the original contract (policy) then your coverage is denied and your premiums are refunded as if the contract never existed. It's pretty rare and I doubt that would occur over an inspection issue but it is technically possible.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303