Quantcast
ADT alarm system?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: ADT alarm system??

My Ride
    My Car

Default ADT alarm system??

Hey all im thinking of getting an alarm home system and was wondering what kinda brands are there that ADT offters are there alarm systems brand name? like sony and such? if you could help that would be great thanks.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

ADT usually uses GE (General Electric) for their wireless 2-way monitoring system. Honeywell also has a few systems, usually monitored by Honeywell itself. Not sure what the others use....I've been out of the business a few years now.

But yes, they would have a few different systems, its just depend on which dealer you go to. The stores will have a wired and wireless options, the guys that come knocking on your door to sell them for ADT will usually be selling the GE system.

If you can afford it, the hardwired systems are a little more secure and have better longevity.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    My Car

thanks bro the one im getting is the wireless one but i wanted to know what brands they have

My Ride
    BMW E70

ADT is the monitoring company. My system was installed and is monitored by them. Not sure which "brand" all of the various equipment are, but my touch screen key pads are Honeywell.

In terms of alarm monitoring companies there is lots out there. Most common are probably ADT, Chubb, Protectron (formerly Voxcom/Stealth) and Alarm Force.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Check our Sears Home Alarm... pretty cheap rates for monitoring

I personally would not bother with a home alarm system. I use to work for ADT as an emergency dispatch operator for a few years. Alarm systems, regardless of company, are pretty much useless IMO.

Let's say you're getting robbed and you have an alarm system, this is how it would play out:

You're not at home, and a thief breaks into your home. Your alarm system goes off the moment he gets into your home and we get the signal. Best case scenario (if things aren't busy), is we'll see the signal and call on it within 10-15 seconds. We spend a few seconds to glance over your account information and history, then call your home first. The standard procedure is to call until we get your answering machine, we're also suppose to leave a message. That translates into 10-20 seconds of time.

Then we call the local PD and inform give them the information. It takes approximately 1 minute to relay all our information to them. From there, it takes the police roughly 5 minutes (remember, that's best case scenario) to arrive.

So what are you getting for your money? A ~7minute response time if all parties are on the ball. Also remember that during this time inside the house, the sirens are going crazy. Any intelligent person would run as soon as the sirens go off. If you're unlucky the guy will know he has at least 7 minutes to rob you before he has to run.

Now, some nights are crazy busy and we alarms get prioritized accordingly. Fire alarm and Domestic violence alarms take precedence over all else. If we're flooded with those alarm types, your burglar alarm will get pushed back to up to a minute or more. Sometimes the PD takes over 10 minutes to arrive (I've seen cases of up to 20+ minutes before they get on scene).

The only benefits that I see: It discourages would-be thieves when they see your alarm system advertisement and it chases them out as soon as they break in. You will NEVER catch someone red-handed with an alarm system.

I think having an ADT alarm sticker on your door would provide 90% the protection of an alarm system. If you can rig up your alarm system to arm itself as a standalone system that would have just the siren go off but NOT communicate back to ADT, you could save yourself the monthly fees.

Just my 0.02 cents

I would have to agree with this as well. Get a big dog or buy a colt like I did. If somebody wants to break in while you are at home it's better to have self defence mechanisms over waiting for rent a cops to come by and verify someone has broken in just so that rent a cop can call the police.

And besides that the systems are extremely annoying in my opinion. The only thing the systems are good at is if they have fire detection linked to the main system. I mean it is great to have that, and I think that is more valuable than having the actual security aspect.

My Ride
    My Car

i have 3 shot guns and in my room where r swords every were so if i dont shoot him ill cut him to hell lol and again i said im thinking so im still digging around

Personally I don't believe in murder, but shooting an intruder in the knees would be just as bad. I don't think were are legally allowed to use lethal force to remove intruders but are permitted to use means of self defence which could include wounding said intruder.

See I think they should legalize tasers in our country for self defiance in the home at least or something like that. I personally think tasering an intruder would be some decent pay back and if anything would make the person think twice about doing it again in the future.